Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Removing decorative door strip?

Does anyone know how to remove the 'chrome' horizontal cover strip on the lower part of the door on a Ls430 without damaging anything? 

I have seen the plastic studs that hold it on inside the door and they appear to be of two parts with a central push stud spreading out the outer part to provide the fixing.

Is the deco strip in two parts? Can I pull/pry off an inner part to access the inner stud part and pop that out to allow release?

Despite applying ACF-50 each year and knowing it wicks through the holes in the door panel I have one rust site bubbling up the paint from a fixing stud on near side front door.

Graham, over the years I have read of both the Ls400 and Ls430 bubbling paint just under that specific point on a door, usually the offside though.

Members have often caught it just before the 12 year Lexus paint warranty expired and had doors etc replaced FOC. .....  boot lids too on the Ls430

Malc

If it's any consolation I noticed that self same thing happening to mine about 5 years ago ( when she was 18 years old ) and thankfully the mark has not yet seemingly spread, at least on the surface :rolleyes:

I removed the inner panel  of the nearside front door three years ago when I bought the car [82,000 miles] and the holes where the fixing studs come through the skin were pristine. Also it could be seen that the ACF-50 had wicked through and was running down the inside and I assumed I was safe.

Very disappointed with the ACF-50  because I now have one inch diam. rust patch on the outside which has grown over three years and only 5,000 miles. 

Have also applied it each year under the car and after each year there has been no sign of it remaining on any exposed areas although their Corrosion Block grease applied to the ride height sensors has been more impressive.

Recently removed the rear wheel arch liners and rust is just beginning around the leading/front part of the lip. Removal of the front nearside liner revealed factory perfect metal every where.

Rustbuster's Fe123 [rust converter] over coated with their two part epoxy mastic applied to selective exposed areas underneath three years ago has held up very well.