Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windscreen Information- Myth Busted

Well the windscreen on my loan CT300h was replaced today at Autovision in Gloucester. Chatting to Rich who runs the business I queried about the camera/auto lights/ wipers  needing recalibration as I know autoglass make a deal about this.

He says that everything is swapped over without touching any wiring and the screens are supplied with the camera mountings installed so no re-calibration is needed and everything should work perfectly.

Things probably will work fine, especially the lights and wipers. But the camera, if being used for lane detection etc. probably should be recalibrated - the screen itself may not be dead level for example. I'd have to check a repair manual to see if it is a required step in the process.

Maybe it's a bit like changing a shock absorber - if you don't move the suspension adjustments you shouldn't need to check wheel alignment but best practice states you should.

Camera must be recalibrated when new windscreen is fitted. Just saying it should be fine is just not professional, it’s noting to do with unplugging wires it’s how the camera is mounted. The recalibration equipment used by Autoglass costs thousands and they have specially trained technicians to do this. Manufacturers clearly state recalibration is required. If the camera is out by just 1-2 degrees it can effect emergency braking and the lane departure. 

But if our when you rear end someone just say rich said it should be ok. Safety first!!!