Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Considering a used LC500

I wouldn't be getting the Lexus dealer to detail my car or apply a ceramic coating.  I have a detailer whom I have used for years to do this and he normally keeps a car for 3-5 days (depending on the amount of machine polishing required).  I have had G-techniq and cQuartz ceramic coatings applied before in various cars.  In my experience cQuartz was far longer lasting (2+ years) even without applying the recommended reload every 4th wash.  One I have not tried yet which is recommended is Siramik.  And yes agree, its normally about £700-1000 for this sort of detail and ceramic coat.

Sorry for stupid question (I read the thread like about royal family problems, it is fascinating but far far away from my cars and experience): is this kind of detailing and ceramic coating valid for Lexus (or any) painting warranty?

2 hours ago, Comedian said:

USB is not 5 layer so easier I think, azure blue is sort of the evolution of it. If she actually has azure blue chipped then that's interesting.

Self healing top coat, not paint. Only works on very fine swirls and reduces doesn't eliminate totally as takes a long time to heal, therefore there are always some visible. I'd happily live without it. The type of stuff it helps with is easy to buff away instantly.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Yep that's right. USB is normal paint. Azure blue is 5 layer. It's called USB 2.0 in the states hence the confusion, and heat blue in other markets. 

1 hour ago, FrzingNuts said:

I wouldn't be getting the Lexus dealer to detail my car or apply a ceramic coating.  I have a detailer whom I have used for years to do this and he normally keeps a car for 3-5 days (depending on the amount of machine polishing required).  I have had G-techniq and cQuartz ceramic coatings applied before in various cars.  In my experience cQuartz was far longer lasting (2+ years) even without applying the recommended reload every 4th wash.  One I have not tried yet which is recommended is Siramik.  And yes agree, its normally about £700-1000 for this sort of detail and ceramic coat.

CquartUK is actually a very good underrated product. It's one of those that punches well above its weight in terms of cost so nobody really talks about it.

Kamikaze coatings are good too. Don't really know about siramik as had no experience with it. 

But I mean if the detailer says it's good, it's good right?........right????? Or perhaps the best profit lol 

My understanding is that most of the recognised ceramic coatings are much of a muchness...the major differences are in the preparation and application. My first NX had the Williams coating applied by the dealer, but not very well. Top surfaces were ok but the lower doors hadn't been done (!) and neither had a strip in the centre of the roof. I didn't pay for it but even so...

My new NX had a Gtechniq Crystal Serum coating applied (after correction) by a detailer I've now used on three cars and trust implicitly - I trusted him with my 14 year old show MINI anyway, and he's only the second person to touch it except me! He charged £600 for the whole job including protection of the leather with colour block.

IMHO if you're planning to keep the car long term or you are particular about how it looks, then it's worth the cost. If you'll change the car every 2-5 years then just use off the shelf products and don't worry about ceramics.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links