Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dpf

D43 orm

That's a re-gen in action, it's getting rid of the build up of solids on the filter to hopefully extend the time before you have to actually replace (££££'s) the filter. Best to drive the car a bit more enthustically shall we say and you might find the re-gens occur less often! 

The thing I don't get is that DPF's were intended to get the particulate levels down in Diesel engine emissions and they probably do but do you think the set-up would pass an emissions test of any kind when it's in re-gen mode! Sort of saving it until later! Not perfect in any way.

As above Petrol should be the choice of engine if choosing a Lexus! Worst thing they ever done was put a on the boot lid.

paul m.

31 minutes ago, scudney said:

lol 😁 just don't buy a diesel next time,sadly no easy fix

Such a shame it does this .

Someone said get rid of dpf blank egr  stage 1 remap and I'd have a decent motor . As mot is just a visual look at dpf they can't tell if dpf filter has been removed . Has anyone had this done to there car . Cracking car to drive .

40 minutes ago, D43 orm said:

Such a shame it does this .

Someone said get rid of dpf blank egr  stage 1 remap and I'd have a decent motor . As mot is just a visual look at dpf they can't tell if dpf filter has been removed . Has anyone had this done to there car . Cracking car to drive .

DPF can't be removed any longer. Before, you could remove it and they only did a visual check which was pretty poor

If you remove a DPF now, you'll get an instant "Major" which is essentially a failed MOT. They will also check emissions which will be increased if the DPF is removed and again, will cause a Fail. Visible smoke will also cause a fail. 

Just get an IS250 - great car to drive, and a much better engine than the 2.2l diesel

• Like 1

Tuning company told me emissions are cleaner .

They cut a hole pull dpf out reweld so looks visabley still there 

It is a worry though. 

Gutted lexus should hang there heads in shame. 

35 minutes ago, D43 orm said:

Tuning company told me emissions are cleaner .

They cut a hole pull dpf out reweld so looks visabley still there 

It is a worry though. Think I'm just going to sell car . 

Gutted lexus should hang there heads in shame. 

Emissions aren't going to be cleaner without a DPF no matter what they say

The new MOT check looks for any tampering of the DPF as well. Weld lines around that area will fail 

I don't think Lexus need to hang their heads in shame at all. It's the buyers wanting diesels. It's not just a Lexus issue, it's across all manufacturers and simply down to consumers buying things without any research or idea how modern diesels work

• Like 1

As always buyers/consumers need to do their research and homework,I have never liked diesels and have never had the desire or urge to buy one, sadly just seems too easy to join the bandwagon. Moreover it seems we too easily become prey to modern advertising,persuasion and other gimmicks. 

I've never seen other diesels leaving a dangerous amount of exhaust fumes for other drivers to battle through. Unless the car needs repairing . Crap engine lexus fault . 

Surely the regen cycle won't start if the speeds are below ~70mph?

If you are getting huge amounts of smoke whilst sat in traffic that's a different problem perhaps?

7 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Surely the regen cycle won't start if the speeds are below ~70mph?

If you are getting huge amounts of smoke whilst sat in traffic that's a different problem perhaps?

I am not a diesel fan either, but surely that cannot be as it would mean you have to break the law to get regen. In the area I live there are no motorways, and very little in the way of dual carriage ways. This means anything over 60 mph is illegal.

John

Car runs fine .

Every say 60 miles or so car just starts blowing out white smoke . Egr is clean and not sticking . I've read on this site it's something to do with 5th injector ..lexus mistake with wiring or something along those lines . I was hoping Id be able to get a remap to blank it out. 

26 minutes ago, Britprius said:

I am not a diesel fan either, but surely that cannot be as it would mean you have to break the law to get regen. In the area I live there are no motorways, and very little in the way of dual carriage ways. This means anything over 60 mph is illegal.

John

I'm sure it's just higher than town speed in reality, otherwise one would be blowing regen ash all over pedestrians and motorists.

22 minutes ago, D43 orm said:

I was hoping Id be able to get a remap to blank it out.

Any company that facilitates such a modification would have to get you to accept it's "not for road use" as any tampering with emissions control renders the vehicle unroadworthy and would fail the next MoT

All the diesels i have previously owned (non of them Lexus) didn't produce any smoke whatsoever when doing a regen, I thought  the whole idea of a regen is to burn off the soot particles that are caught in the dpf at an extreme temperature, You could feel the heat coming from underneath the car and the exhaust note would change slightly on the 2012 Mondeo i last owned. Thankfully i now have a GS300 and no longer have to worry about dpfs, dmfs and egr valves not something i miss! I think the diesel engine has had its day and i have owned diesels for the last 10 years and although i miss the low tax and mpg i certainly wouldn't go back to a diesel now. My brother in law also has his own garage and mot centre and he said he can foresee a lot of problems in the future for diesel owners on the emissions front.

• Like 2

Few good points above.. Removing DPF immoral and illegal - not an option.

DPF regen should not produce black smoke, DPF regen can not happen in traffic either - there are certain criteria to be met for it to happen: Speed above 50MPH (perhaps different on Lexus, but in that ballpark), engine at working temp, probably above 2k RPM. If it produces black smoke in slow traffic, then it is not DPF. Maybe ERG, 5th injector, other injectors, leaking turbo.

IS220d engine it pretty bad, but no different from terrible engines found in similar era diesel cars e.g. BMW320d would have exactly same problems, perhaps a little more reliable (same for 2L Audi, MB diesels, 1.9TDI is probably one exception - reliable engine, still issues with DPF/ERG on newer cars). What makes IS220d comparably worse is that strange 6 speed manual and no auto option.

As for smoking diesel... they are all over the place.. new, old, Lexus.. other makes ... I have started making compilation from my dashcam, maybe one day I will finish it and share it. I see at least 10 badly smoking cars on my drive to work and back every day.