Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Recommended bluetooth OBD2 adaptor?

Hi all - can anyone recommend a good OBD2 adaptor for my 03 IS300?  I used a friend's WIFI one recently which worked fine but when I went to buy one he said "get a Bluetooth one so you can still get wifi on your device and look stuff up while you use it" which made sense (unless WIFI doesn't work while using BT or something) so I looked around and tried this one yesterday
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0185GE8GM
However I've not managed to get it working on Iphone (doesn't show up), android (didn't work for my mate), or winphone10 (app can't see it after device pairing)
So I thought I'd ask if anyone has recommendations for cheap n cheerful OBD2 adaptors?

Idea of "keep WiFi for networking, BT for OBD2" sounds valid in theory, but I prefer WiFi OBD2. They work much easier with any device, no more BTs connectivity issues. And WiFi range is better, I could check the OBD2 from home 😉 

I tried it with someone's android phone last night and like my winphone it shows up and pairs ok, it shows up in the app, but then nothing happens and the app doesn't "connect" to it.  So I guess I'll have to send it back and get another one.  Android is the 1 OS I don't have easy access to atm.  I may just get a bloody WIFI one since they'll work with anything as far as I'm aware and I don't really care if I can't be on another WIFI at the same time  😐

BT interfaces are more used than wifi, but settings in android apps have to be made anyway. I repeat, not only BT pairing that has to be made first, but in each obd app.

Yeah on ios no BT pairing, on win/droid BT paired but apps either don't see it or when it's selected they don't connect with it.  I've asked them for a WIFI version now cos I'd rather have working WIFI than nonworking BT.