Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wonder is Lexus haven’t missed a trick here

I’ve had my IS for about 3 months now and love it, my only gripe is boot space, there are times I have struggled with loads.

And that got me to think why Lexus have never made an Estate/Fastback version, they did it in limited numbers in the series 1 but never repeated it.

Looking at the number of 3 series touriers I would have thought it would sell in reasonable numbers as well

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Jayw13702 said:

I’ve had my IS for about 3 months now and love it, my only gripe is boot space, there are times I have struggled with loads.

And that got me to think why Lexus have never made an Estate/Fastback version, they did it in limited numbers in the series 1 but never repeated it.

Looking at the number of 3 series touriers I would have thought it would sell in reasonable numbers as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because SUVs sell more than Estates. In a limited market like the UK theyd sell a handful at most.

Additionally wagons aren't massive in the US which is the primary market

• Like 1

Agreed. Follow any US motor enthusiasts site and they constantly moan about two things 1) the lack of a manual (or "stick") option and 2) that they don't get what they refer to as wagons.

I think that sometimes people forget the Toyota connection too. Want an estate? Buy a Toyota. 

I too wished there was an estate version of the IS.  had an old model IS300 Sportcross, which I loved, but the replacement wasn't obvious:

CT200 - too small

IS300h - pitifully small boot and impossible when you have to transport an elderly parent's wheelchair

NX300h - too new and out of my price range at the time.

RX450h - probably bigger than I wanted, but I have grown to love the car.

FB_IMG_1520369297258.jpg

• Like 2

Agreed. Follow any US motor enthusiasts site and they constantly moan about two things 1) the lack of a manual (or "stick") option and 2) that they don't get what they refer to as wagons.

I think that sometimes people forget the Toyota connection too. Want an estate? Buy a Toyota. 

I have owned many Toyota hybrid, and that's part of the reason why I bought Lexus.

Yes I could have bought an Auris tourer, but the difference in quality between Toyota and Lexus IS very noticeable, so I would argue that a Toyota estate is not a fair comparison to Lexus

You are right about the higher quality,we recently had a look at the top of the range chr hybrid and the interior was very nice quality until you got to the door cards which were awful in my opinion,also no option for a sunroof either.

Now we know the new UX is based on this platform so i expect the quality that is missing from the chr and all the other extras will be available on ux.

I too had an IS300 Sportcross, my 2nd favourite car, my current steed, a 2010 RX450 has really won me over with it's practicality. Just back from a holiday in the Hebrides where it performed sterling service. 

20180704_225408.jpg

• Like 2

This is the reason I’ll be changing to either an NX or another marque shortly. Boot space is usable and pretty good, but practicality through the saloon boot slot means it doesn’t suit me anymore.

i was hoping the ES might have been a Hatch/Fastback, but with it a saloon and no folding rear seats, then that’s out.

Had a good look at the UX at Goodwood yesterday and the boot is no bigger than the CT and floor is quite high with no lip. It’s flat but tiny, so that is out too.

RX is too big and wife struggled to get in and out.

So either an NX or I’m off to another brand.

I would be interested in an IS tourer. The IS is a great car but not very practical for family life. We end up using the wife’s Jazz when going on holiday or taking kids to uni etc. Also you can’t get a wheelchair or walker in the IS if taking aged parents out.

I am not keen on an SUV as I like to be able to clean the roof without needing stepladders.

I love my IS, it's used as a taxi and everyone who gets in it comments on how luxurious it is.

Because it's a taxi I can't consider the suv route, we can only licence saloon cars and mpvs, SUVs are not allowed

I can get a wheelchair in without any issues, even the 3 wheeled walkers aren't a problem, the 4 wheeled ones are the ones I struggle with and that's what made me wonder about the estate route.
My dealers suggested I buy a GS300h if the IS boot is too small

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jayw13702 said:

My dealers suggested I buy a GS300h if the IS boot is too small

hmm, they are about the same size, the IS has foldable rear seats and the GS has been discontinued so not great advise

hmm, they are about the same size, the IS has foldable rear seats and the GS has been discontinued so not great advise

My IS doesn't have folding rear seats

5 hours ago, Jayw13702 said:

Fixed seats probably on SE. Our F Sport has the folding seats. I don't know if it's Advance and above grades 

10 hours ago, Jayw13702 said:

Only the SE doesn't, all other grades do. Lexus currently doesn't sell a new model without folding seats as the SE has been discontinued.

Only the SE doesn't, all other grades do. Lexus currently doesn't sell a new model without folding seats as the SE has been discontinued.

I got the poverty spec then [emoji23]

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

I bought my car before buying a new house (that I'm renovating).  I really wish I'd bought a hatch / estate.  However on the plus side I swapped my wife's car for a Rav4 for this reason, then she wanted an auto after driving so got a RX400h, both great for skip runs filling with building supplies etc.  We have just swapped hers again to a RX450h, but she won't let me fill it with junk anymore. 4 trips and now a very filthy IS, after taking some old plaster boards, carpets and rads to the skip!!!  I should have kept the 400h and traded mine in!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 7:39 AM, Ian M said:

Mine is heading to Lewis & Harris in September!

Hope you get a chance to do some fishing, great time of year up there.