Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS430 aka Silver Tractor

Ben01

I don't mind the front styling at least it's different and distinctive. The next gen was more conventional and blended in too easily and the latest style is more radical again. I haven't completely warmed to it but there's no doubting the GSF is a quick and versatile piece of kit. 

Yeah, I used to this front a bit after a year. And you right, it is distinctive now, when most of E-klasse, scorpios and s-type were gone (and fiat 500 is in different league). But still, I dream sometimes how nice could be GS 2gen with front like something between 1gen and 3gen. BTW I don't like GS 3gen rear for a change, this "narrow" fastback is minor "nay" for me.

One way or another, I don't care too much about exterior styling. I don't need to impress anybody with it, I don't see it fre the car. It is much lower on my list than powerpack, interior or gadgets.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ben01 said:

One way or another, I don't care too much about exterior styling. I don't need to impress anybody with it, I don't see it fre the car. It is much lower on my list than powerpack, interior or gadgets.

Not really my thing either, styling and gadgetry.... :teehee: Are you looking to increase the power too?

7 hours ago, Neil E said:

Are you looking to increase the power too?

Nay. About 290HP and (especially) 440Nm is more than enough for my needs and my daily public roads at the moment. And even if I need a bit more, I am too old and experienced to look for any low cost stupid upgrades (translation: ruin) of this V8, and pretty sure I have no money, time and will for good and reliable upgrades of this V8. If I feel I need more power, I would buy GSF or LC some day 😄.

In the scope of "power", one idea has blinked on me - if the diff is a bit oily and needs some refurb, maybe it is worth to look for any good limited slip diff to replace. But next idea "it is not worth any of my precious resources" punched the first one in the small stupid face.

BTW power/torque and handling - those cheap china tyres, if i remember correctly Excelon someting something (Performance?) are suprisingly good on GS430 on narrow and curvy Scottish roads (my everyday fly is A809). They are normal on dry, but even on wet tarmac is relatively difficult to drift the car. And noise is acceptable (if sunroof cover's tiny rattle annoys me, means tyres and exhaust are sort-of fine 😁 ). Not bad for half a price of EU made models (BTW are Nokians made in Russia? I don't remeber now 🤨 ). I could recommend them as budget summer tyres.

On the other news, the GS warm up pretty long in my mind, today was 11deg in the morning, and changeover to LPG was late, and gauge up and heater too. I noticed this before, but not bother yet. It looks like new thermostat will coming, for a start.

• 2 weeks later...

Last weeks were busy, so not much on GS, only nice fly over Scotland (daily commuting is still fabulous, and there was some motorway comfy cruising - Edinburgh/Fringe time).

I did not rebuild mp3 power circuit yet, but we have tested it intensively. Even too intensively, as first attempt to put in jack cable (to daughter mobile as music source) destroyed jack socket... but it was opportunity to test this mp3 player's Bluetooth capability - it works nice, I never tested it in first GS with same module. And rear USB power socket was useful for daughter in the back on longer trips, 1.5A capability is less than I planned initialy, but enough to play with the phone and it is still charges up.

I touched curbs with passenger front rim twice (and badly) this week. It is good luck I still did not refurbish rims, but I start to think - maybe I should install this reverse camera I bought and shelf, like: under the passenger mirror with view on the front wheel...

BTW rims: I was ready to buy any new or near new rims last weeks, but hold last moment, rims I could afford there are not same I really like...  so back to "let's try to refurbish at home, it could be good enough for banger barge".

Today was no rain, so I try a first attempt to do something with rims. It was normal job for me, but test on spare wheel revealed the paint I bought is too bright for my taste and idea at the moment (it's smoke gray metalic, IIRC vauxhall paint). In the other words, it is not "different" enough (especially in the flesh and sun, not in the camera) from normal silver alloys to worth all troubles.

rim_test.thumb.jpg.512ee43723ac6c562eadc577b220a821.jpg

No problemo, I will find other paint, next attempt - next weekend or anytime.

Rims job was canceled, so I back to [censored] head lamps - as I mentioned, somebody has varnished them for protection or customizing or whatever. All this varnish was yellowish, microcracking, makes glare and looks awful. I attempted polish first, like immediately after landing at home with GS, "oh, common yellowishness" - not really and no result. Next attempt was sandpaper 1500 and polish harder - minor upgrade. So today I was "f off, let's dance". I tested on the edge of the lamp, and I DID NOT [CENSORED] BELIEVE, I had to move down to paper 320 and found TWO layers of le crappe laquere... So next I was "kill'em all", 6 hours later it is better, but not ideal, and they need machine polishing probably (it was manual job, wet papers 320, 800, 1500, and deep cut polish fluid). Or I should drop them out and play with even more aggresive methods (but I hate the bumper removal etc.). Or I should buy a new lamps.

BTW lamps: I replaced an old Silvanas in hi beams with Osram Nightbreakers, like a week or two ago, and I like them.

headlamp_polish3.jpg

• 3 months later...