Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Successor to the ISF perhaps??

you might aswell get an M4 BMW... i read some where they will be using 3.0 inline 6 BMW produced turbo engines...  a big company like Toyota is telling me they cannot build their own inline 6 to power a Supra??

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/geneva-motor-show/new-toyota-supra-get-450bhp-bmw-straight-six-engine

13 minutes ago, noby76 said:

you might aswell get an M4 BMW... i read some where they will be using 3.0 inline 6 BMW produced turbo engines...  a big company like Toyota is telling me they cannot build their own inline 6 to power a Supra??

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/geneva-motor-show/new-toyota-supra-get-450bhp-bmw-straight-six-engine

It is called collaboration, it is done because it is more tax efficient in this case. In global supply chain it is cheaper to co-develop and co-build the car with BMW, because that means BMW can sell car with lower tariff using Toyota parts and Toyota can do the same with BMW parts where each of the companies have better market share e.g. Toyota in US/Japan/Middle east, BMW in EU.

It is not really replacement of IS-F though, more for previous Supra. I am not big fan of inline engines, but that sounds like throwback to 2JZ-GTE! More boost!

12 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

It is called collaboration, it is done because it is more tax efficient in this case. In global supply chain it is cheaper to co-develop and co-build the car with BMW, because that means BMW can sell car with lower tariff using Toyota parts and Toyota can do the same with BMW parts where each of the companies have better market share e.g. Toyota in US/Japan/Middle east, BMW in EU.

It is not really replacement of IS-F though, more for previous Supra. I am not big fan of inline engines, but that sounds like throwback to 2JZ-GTE! More boost!

better to collab when it comes to mass produced cars between the two.. but an iconic and cult following sports car like the Supra, collaboration with another manufacturer should be the last thing.. it will benefit BMW's sales for press and biased European car jounalists to say the Supra has a bmw sourced engine but wont benefit Toyota mainly the hard core Performace Jap car lovers who will forgo bmw, merc and audi to pick up a GTR or NSX just because its Japanese..

Nissan and Honda did not need collabo to build the GTR/NSX engines and Toyota is a bigger richer company than them....

If i was the execs at Toyota i will do something completely different by fitting a high revving 9000rpm NA engine with two high output electric motors to front and rear wheels. and for go turbo... the selling point will be the only high performance 9000rpm sports car. say it makes 100bhp per litre. at 3.5 litres will be 350bhp + 100bhp front electric motor and 100bhp rear electric motor totalling 500-550bhp... those who will buy these cars dont care about economy anyway... 

Until they release the details in January no-one knows what toyota has up it grmn sleeve. If the yaris is anything to go by I am cautiously optimistic. They can't tag it with supra and not make it something special.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Looks awful. It needs to have the same looks as the concept. Also, it will still be a Toyota inside. 

It has tremendous promise. We will see what we end up with. 

The wrap doesn't help.

Inside was covered up with cloth too.

Vents in bonnet and rear wing were filled with plastic like a civic.  :(

I feel like it is almost pointless to wrap the car like this. I mean they attend such events to advertise the car, if it is not ready yet then don't bring it. Now it just misrepresents what the final product would be and actually make negative impression for themselves...

I completely don't get correlation between Supra and IS-F to completely different cars for completely different purposes. Maybe competitor for LC, just with more performance and less luxury. Supra used to be large GT coupe, but this new model seams to be much more compact, almost like Celica.