Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alternative method of raising the suspension on GS450H.

I have found a simple method of raising the rear suspension on the GS "can also be applied to the front".

As shown below the spring seats are only pushed on to the shock absorbers. A gentle tap with a mallet will remove them easily. 

The seat can be raised by fitting a short piece of a tube over the shock with another short piece of smaller diameter tube to centre the spring seat. I used some stainless steel tube left over from my rear exhaust build. This was a perfect fit.

Picture (1) shows from left to right:-
Standard rear shock.
Standard rear shock with spring seat removed.
Standard rear shock next to one with a 1" spacer fitted for comparison.

Picture (2) shows a 1" spacer with a 1.5" centralizing tube. This is a snug fit inside the spacer tube.

Picture (3) shows the tubes fitted on a shock. "needs a gentle tap"

Picture (4) shows the spring seat refitted on the spacers.

Take no notice of the rust. These shocks will be refurbished, and painted before use. The front shocks follow the same design, and in fact use the same spring seats. 

The suspension can also be lowered simply if you have access to a lathe by turning the step that the spring seat sits on after removing it to lower it.  This can be reversed by fitting a spacer of the same length as the material removed.

The suspension raises or lowers by about 1.3 times the amount of spacer added or removed, and is ideal for vehicles with gas conversions, tow, or simply low suspension.

John. 

P_20180713_111348.jpg

P_20180713_111609.jpg

P_20180713_111647.jpg

P_20180713_111746.jpg

• Like 1

Really? - the lower seats can be removed with a 'gentle tap from a mallet'?

So just an interference fit.

Well found by the way, I hadn't noticed they're not welded. 

3 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Really? - the lower seats can be removed with a 'gentle tap from a mallet'?

So just an interference fit.

Well found by the way, I hadn't noticed they're not welded. 

Yes even the very rusty one I had came off easily. I found out because I wanted to clean, and paint a couple of shocks, and I was unable to get into the underside of the spring seat. I gave it a tap just to see, and was amazed when it moved.
After removal it was obvious how simple it would be to alter the height of the seat.

John.

• Like 1