Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cheapest in UK.. no wonder 80k miles in 2 years

Quite extraordinary miles so of these cars do, more then even typical high mile subjects i.e. BMW 420d

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201807098266221?model=RC 300H&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=ba11rj&radius=1500&make=LEXUS&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&sort=price-asc&page=1

I personally see no way it is selling for that price, maybe for ~18k, there are plenty of car in just 1-2k more with 8 times less miles.

Quite extraordinary miles so of these cars do, more then even typical high mile subjects i.e. BMW 420d
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201807098266221?model=RC 300H&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=ba11rj&radius=1500&make=LEXUS&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&sort=price-asc&page=1
I personally see no way it is selling for that price, maybe for ~18k, there are plenty of car in just 1-2k more with 8 times less miles.

On the plus side it’s a desirable colour in the most desirable spec (F sport)

It’s also new, not even 3yrs old.

The miles would put me off and I don’t care much for the “barely run in” talk that is prolific on internet car fora regarding cars with intergalactic miles on them. The engine, gearbox and in this case hybrid Battery might be proven and reliable but the suspension, steering, and body work have all covered significant miles which has bound to have taken some toll.

All I know is once my cars have got to 80k miles some fairly significant bills have presented themselves.

I agree it’s priced too high and is really a 15-18k car and I’d take one that’s a year older with 40k less on it.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

It’s also new, not even 3yrs old.

The miles would put me off and I don’t care much for the “barely run in” talk that is prolific on internet car fora regarding cars with intergalactic miles on them. The engine, gearbox and in this case hybrid Battery might be proven and reliable but the suspension, steering, and body work have all covered significant miles which has bound to have taken some toll.

All I know is once my cars have got to 80k miles some fairly significant bills have presented themselves.

I agree it’s priced too high and is really a 15-18k car and I’d take one that’s a year older with 40k less on it.

14 hours ago, st4 said:

It is indeed. Desirable colour is obviously subjective, I personally like white and objectively it is second most desirable colour at the moment. Black and white was exchanging places for last 5 years and currently black is the most desirable. Still miles ahead of say blue or one of the least desirable colours like red.

One thing which doesn't suit the car in my opinion is black interior, I am fan of dark rose Lexus had for these cars, or to be honest for white car any other would do better then black. 

Recently, there was another white RC300h, with black interior, but it had ML and sunroof and was priced at £26000 with 8000 miles. Now the car is gone, but it wasn't quick sell it was on AT for over 2 months at what I though was excellent price. So based on that comparison would I have had car which is fully loaded with 8k miles for £26k or one which partially loaded with 80k miles for £24k... It is no brainer. Price certainly doesn't represent excessive mileage on this car, 80k miles are equivalent to 10 years of use it isn't just number on the dash.

Agree. I don’t like black interiors but they’re easily sold on. I’d have liked the rose for my GS but black it was.

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

Yep £24k is a rip of. Think our 2 year old IS was less than that at a Lexus dealer with 10k miles 😂

Just looked at the invoice on my phone and it was £23k 😂

Just looked at the invoice on my phone and it was £23k [emoji23]

My albeit older but far lower miles gs250 was £14k in the same colour way.

Why do people pay such a premium for cars with less doors. An RC should be cheaper than an IS - not more expensive

29 minutes ago, st4 said:

Why do people pay such a premium for cars with less doors. An RC should be cheaper than an IS - not more expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The RC isn't a 2 door IS 

1 hour ago, Comedian said:

The RC isn't a 2 door IS 

And I really don't understand why sometimes. The IS chassis is good for a coupe and can handle 470hp. Don't really get why they decided to make the RC from using the GS and ISC.

3 hours ago, matt8 said:

Always be careful posting Autotrader links online.

Your postcode is shown in the link you provide, @Linas.P

Edit: or at least the postcode you used during search.

That is good point - though no to worry for me, but for somebody on here who posted he link previously. I have forgotten to update post code in Autorader + every time I click on like here it saves new one :)

As for RC more expensive then IS.. as rayaans said - it is more 2 doors GS then IS, the only strange thing for me is that they never had 450h option in RC as such they could simply use IS platform. The only reason to justify using parts of GS platform would be - using GS engine options, but they never did... Equally mating it with IS-C would have indicated convertible version of RC, but again they never made convertible of RC.

Am I right to think front of chassis was GS and rear from IS-C?

According to wikipedia.

The platform shares the front end of the L10 series GS, midsection from the XE20 series IS convertible, while the rear componentry is from the XE30 series IS

• Like 1

8 hours ago, J Henderson said:

According to wikipedia.

The question is what's the benefit? The RC didn't become a convertible and the GS and ISC are obsolete. 

Would have been easier to just make the IS chassis into a coupe. 

36 minutes ago, rayaans said:

and the GS and ISC are obsolete

This could be the answer. If we talk about normal metal stamped parts, imagine this: low demand and marketing departament are just about to cancel two models, but stamping tools for them (cost millions) are in the middle of lifetime. What do you do, spend another million for next tooling for stampig new IS into coupe, or use what is at hand and already depreciated and try "to glue" all pieces together?

50 minutes ago, Ben01 said:

This could be the answer. If we talk about normal metal stamped parts, imagine this: low demand and marketing departament are just about to cancel two models, but stamping tools for them (cost millions) are in the middle of lifetime. What do you do, spend another million for next tooling for stampig new IS into coupe, or use what is at hand and already depreciated and try "to glue" all pieces together?

The GS only became obsolete now. The ISC a while back. Using the IS chassis would have been just as simple as it's already being used on the IS!

• Like 1

Exactly,  all combined smoothly - wider track, rigid middle, easy back, most of it from the shelf and utilize existing tooling. This is normal way of an industry, nobody orders full new tooling for new or modified body, if he could find other way. Like why N platform (MarkII and first GS) was with Toyota since 1991 until AFAIR last year? Or why you could find in 2008 jag S-type floor some pieces from 1986 ford? Etc etc.

My own thinking when I bought the RC rather than another IS was that I was getting exactly the same powertrain and broadly the same performance in

a two-door configuration whose only drawback for many people, but not for me, was the reduced rear cabin space.  In other words, I thought I was buying

an "IS coupé" which, on the evidence of a test-drive, offered better handling and stability by virtue of a stronger and more rigid chassis whose design

happened to be partly based on the GS.  Conversely, had my previous car been a GS300h, I doubt if I would have regarded the RC as its coupé version

since my original purchase would have been based purely on my need or desire for a bigger size of car than the IS.  And, economic considerations aside,                                      

had my previous car been a GS450h, I would never have considered buying the RC at all unless I no longer wanted more power as well as size.

Apart from two-door cars tending to look better, which may or may not justify the premium asked for them when aesthetics are considered an important 

factor in terms of marketability, the broadly similar fixed production costs need to be amortised over smaller volumes than those of four-door equivalents,

thus dictating higher list-prices if profit margins are to be equalised.  

• Like 1