Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cvt gear box

Hi all, i am just wondering about the cvt gear box in the is300h F lexus. How reliable are they and is there anything i need to know about using them ect. When do i need to get the oil changed in them ect. 

Thanks   

Nothing to be worried.  I understand you need infos having made the big jump from diesel , but hybrid (and more if Lexus) are very reliable. For sure they have no filters or turbines that can break like diesels ;-).  The ordinary maintenance reduces to oil and filters, and being the eCVT substantially a differential gear with electric motors,  it needs virtually no oil change, or after 100k miles.

3 hours ago, Zotto said:

Nothing to be worried.  I understand you need infos having made the big jump from diesel , but hybrid (and more if Lexus) are very reliable. For sure they have no filters or turbines that can break like diesels ;-).  The ordinary maintenance reduces to oil and filters, and being the eCVT substantially a differential gear with electric motors,  it needs virtually no oil change, or after 100k miles.

Thanks very much 😁

2 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Forget everything you know or read about on conventional CVT gearboxes.  Turn the silly simulated noise off and just be amazed at how well it works and how smooth it is. 

Thanks very much 😁

4 hours ago, byrnew2007 said:

Hi all, i am just wondering about the cvt gear box in the is300h F lexus. How reliable are they and is there anything i need to know about using them ect. When do i need to get the oil changed in them ect. 

Thanks   

Just drive it like a normal car. Chances are you won't even realise it's a CVT. 

It's probably one of the most reliable gearboxes and oil doesn't need changing until at least 100k 

9 hours ago, rayaans said:

Just drive it like a normal car. Chances are you won't even realise it's a CVT. 

It's probably one of the most reliable gearboxes and oil doesn't need changing until at least 100k 

Thanks very much for the reply , much appreciated 😁 

it's not really a CVT in the traditional sense, its more like a differentail, using ICE and Elelctric motors as inputs to give a single output (varying the rpm of either to vary output rpm) to act like a CVT.  Mechanincally speaking, very simple...

http://eahart.com/prius/psd/

When you read the road tests written by the Magazine Morons they have a low opinion of the eCVT gearbox. They are so wrong. In the real world it is a superb gearbox and one of the strengths of the car. Very smooth, effortless and reliable.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MONTIMAR said:

When you read the road tests written by the Magazine Morons they have a low opinion of the eCVT gearbox. They are so wrong. In the real world it is a superb gearbox and one of the strengths of the car. Very smooth, effortless and reliable.

I think it's great 90% of the time, but the 10% when you want to have fun..... Not so much.  Most motoring journalists drive then like they have stolen them, so no wonder they dislike it. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2018 at 11:10 AM, MONTIMAR said:

I agree completely - its a superb gearbox that just works fantastically when driving normally.  Yes it lacks the visceral interaction that gives cars their edge but the car itself is superbly balanced, grips well and actually has plenty of poke with it too...

I've had mine from new, about 18 months now and I would say it took me a while to really get used to it, I've really gelled with it and its true that its a car and gearbox that is often judged too quickly by journalists.

Every passenger I have had in it, think its excellent and I highly recommend the IS to anyone...

I agree. I don't think I've seen one reviewer who says they like the CVT..The same reviewers who feel the need to compare every car with those made in Germany.

.I drove a Civic Hybrid for nearly five years with a CVT, and now the is300h. I have no complaints with it at all.

When you read the road tests written by the Magazine Morons they have a low opinion of the eCVT gearbox.

I don't know who it was out of the many illuminati in the motoring magazines first used the phrase "droning CVT gearbox" but it is predictably and routinely trotted out by the rest of them. The CVT is of course as quiet as any other gearbox (racing ones excepted!), it's such a lazy cliché it's untrue. Any yet they excuse the grumble and vibrations of a four pot diesel!

As has been said, they jump in car for the day and immediately see how it is "on the limit". And it is so different from the diesels they are used to, their heads just can't get around it, so it is easiest to just dismiss it as "flawed" and as a "left-field choice".

Tellingly, the very few long term (their 'long term' is rather different to my idea of long term, but I'll let that slide!) tests of hybrid Lexus I have read see them coming round to idea...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gdh300 said:

As has been said, they jump in car for the day and immediately see how it is "on the limit". And it is so different from the diesels they are used to, their heads just can't get around it, so it is easiest to just dismiss it as "flawed" and as a "left-field choice".

I don't think they even do that. They just parrot previous reviews. It's just laziness. Look at the stuff they come out with about Subarus too.

4 hours ago, gdh300 said:

Ah, the ubiquitous phrase "hard, scratchy plastics"🤦‍♂️

3 hours ago, McRattlehead said:

Agreed my Mrs runs a 17yr old Impreza,while the dash is hard, it still looks as good as new and any marks are easy to clean.

But they never mention the beautiful finishes in their German favourites that are scratched after you wipe them with a dry duster. Try cleaning a piano black finish in a BMW or Merc and you'll know what I mean.

On 7/18/2018 at 4:15 PM, darrude said:

it's not really a CVT in the traditional sense, its more like a differentail, using ICE and Elelctric motors as inputs to give a single output (varying the rpm of either to vary output rpm) to act like a CVT.  Mechanincally speaking, very simple...

http://eahart.com/prius/psd/

The article says "It acts as a continuously variable transmission (CVT) but with a fixed gear ratio."

This does not make a lot of sense. Since it is a variable [speed] ratio transmission (engine to wheels) it does not in any ordinary sense, have a fixed gear ratio.  It is a three way torque ratio device, based on a two stage fixed ratio geartrain ie planetary gearbox.

Regardless the result is fantastic.  I havent had a company car for 15 years, and having the opportunity again, I discovered the choice is a lot more complex than the old Mondeo or Cavalier decision.  I had an IS300h on trial for a week, and after finding myself within minutes with a big smile and doing 100 alongside the river down at Monmouth, and attempting to drift around corners, I decided that I would thoroughly enjoy driving this car around the south of England for the next 4 years. It doesnt have surge, or a manly roar.  I can live without those for the majesty of a chauffeur like ride regardless of what I choose to do with the accelerator. Its plenty quick enough for normal driving, the steering and ride are sublime, the noise level minimal, the bling free interior is a relief, and the exterior lines and the steering wheel finish are perfection.

Besides, my job is as an inverter applications engineer.  How could I not drive the car that is exemplifies the possibilities of the inverter so excellently!

52 minutes ago, AncientZen said:

...100 alongside the river down at Monmouth...

For the avoidance of doubt and without prejudice, I'm sure you meant to type "...100km/h alongside the river down at Monmouth..."  😉

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AncientZen said:

The article says "It acts as a continuously variable transmission (CVT) but with a fixed gear ratio."

This does not make a lot of sense. Since it is a variable [speed] ratio transmission (engine to wheels) it does not in any ordinary sense, have a fixed gear ratio.  It is a three way torque ratio device, based on a two stage fixed ratio geartrain ie planetary gearbox.

Regardless the result is fantastic.  I havent had a company car for 15 years, and having the opportunity again, I discovered the choice is a lot more complex than the old Mondeo or Cavalier decision.  I had an IS300h on trial for a week, and after finding myself within minutes with a big smile and doing 100 alongside the river down at Monmouth, and attempting to drift around corners, I decided that I would thoroughly enjoy driving this car around the south of England for the next 4 years. It doesnt have surge, or a manly roar.  I can live without those for the majesty of a chauffeur like ride regardless of what I choose to do with the accelerator. Its plenty quick enough for normal driving, the steering and ride are sublime, the noise level minimal, the bling free interior is a relief, and the exterior lines and the steering wheel finish are perfection.

Besides, my job is as an inverter applications engineer.  How could I not drive the car that is exemplifies the possibilities of the inverter so excellently!

Its the best looking exec saloon on the market at the moment, in my opinion (though the Alfa Romeo Giulia runs it close).  it has both interesting design features and its consistent in its theme that carries in to the interior as well.

I 100% agree the bling free yet very high quality interior is a relief.  I've looked at the latest E-Class and its just too much, the screens I like but the gloss and switch gear too distracting.

Congrats on your choice!

1 hour ago, TechyD said:

I've looked at the latest E-Class and its just too much, the screens I like but the gloss and switch gear too distracting.

In our house that sort of thing is described as a bit 'Kardashian'.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2018 at 1:10 PM, rich1068 said:

But they never mention the beautiful finishes in their German favourites that are scratched after you wipe them with a dry duster. Try cleaning a piano black finish in a BMW or Merc and you'll know what I mean.

Saying that, the sat Nav screen in the IS is terrible, scratch’s very easily, I had one replaced under warranty, really needs to be more robust.