Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

OK so resurrecting this again.

As I have noticed for the past couple of weeks not some kind of rattling coming from the rear left wheel only and this happened after the rear calipers which were seized originally but the garage managed to free up. 

I went back to him saying that it fees like the rear caliper has some play and noise coming from that side only.

he did check and says there is always a little play in the calipers is this correct? surely they are not meant to move?

As for the rattling he says could be because the sliding Pins that where seized are now moving more due to them being worn out and making a rattling noise, he did put grease in and around the area there to help stop the noise but its not working.

So before I go back to him  is he correct ? would i need new sliding pins? or is it the pads not sitting in the pads and moving about?

Anyone else had this before?

The pads make a distinctive rattling noise when loose in the calipers. The slide pins would have to be very loose, and would produce more of a mechanical knock than a metallic rattle.

John.

defo not a metallic noise more of a rattle.

I can drive over a  man hole and i can hear it rattle... sounds as if something is not sitting or moving about, hence why i was thinking pins which have play could be moving around.

the brakes work fine no noise when braking..

As far as I have seen GS450h rear pads and callipers, they are similar to mine GS430 (Sumitomo system), so: most critical to avoid annoying rattle are proper "fitting elements" - set of ridiculously complex springs, brackets, etc. properly installed around the pads. In every GS I bought half of them were missing or broken or wrong installed. Ask your garage about...  something like in this link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-Brake-Clip-Pin-Fitting-Hardware-Kit-Fits-LEXUS-GS-GS300-GS430-GS450h-05-11/302829831534

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ben01 said:

As far as I have seen GS450h rear pads and callipers, they are similar to mine GS430 (Sumitomo system), so: most critical to avoid annoying rattle are proper "fitting elements" - set of ridiculously complex springs, brackets, etc. properly installed around the pads. In every GS I bought half of them were missing or broken or wrong installed. Ask your garage about...  something like in this link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-Brake-Clip-Pin-Fitting-Hardware-Kit-Fits-LEXUS-GS-GS300-GS430-GS450h-05-11/302829831534

yes these are the pins that to me look like are the culprits, when the wheel was off these moved around and made a similar kind of noise whilst driving, the garage did put grease around them to but that hasn't worked.

will see what the garage says or maybe go to a different garage and get a 2nd opinion but my only free times are the weekends....

Do we have any forum members who own a garage or are mechanics?

• Like 1

@usuf_x / Yousaf, You say that your calipers move a bit, which is consistent with mine.

However my NSR recently developed a knock when the hydraulic brakes kicked in at low speeds.  Whilst inspecting I noticed that the caliper itself had more movement than the OSR.

So I replaced the top caliper to carrier 'bush', which is a rubber guide for the top pin/slider.

Here's one; https://www.ebay.com/itm/4787930300-Genuine-Toyota-BUSH-CYLINDER-SLIDE-NO-1-FOR-REAR-DISC-BRAKE-/182382085127

This has solved my issue and may help yours?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Farqui said:

@usuf_x / Yousaf, You say that your calipers move a bit, which is consistent with mine.

However my NSR recently developed a knock when the hydraulic brakes kicked in at low speeds.  Whilst inspecting I noticed that the caliper itself had more movement than the OSR.

So I replaced the top caliper to carrier 'bush', which is a rubber guide for the top pin/slider.

Here's one; https://www.ebay.com/itm/4787930300-Genuine-Toyota-BUSH-CYLINDER-SLIDE-NO-1-FOR-REAR-DISC-BRAKE-/182382085127

This has solved my issue and may help yours?

Thanks.

Yes that is what i noticed,  i told the garage that there is more movement on the NSR caliper  than that on the OSR, the OSR has very little to no play but the NSR moves alot more than I was expecting it to.  the garage checked it and said its tight and fitted  correctly.

Is this a dealer only part or will ECP stock this  kind of part?

Thank you for all the suggestions guys, it gives me something to talk about when i next see the garage

• Like 2

1 minute ago, usuf_x said:

Thanks.

Yes that is what i noticed,  i told the garage that there is more movement on the NSR caliper  than that on the OSR, the OSR has very little to no play but the NSR moves alot more than I was expecting it to.  the garage checked it and said its tight and fitted  correctly.

Is this a dealer only part or will ECP stock this  kind of part?

Thank you for all the suggestions guys, it gives me something to talk about when i next see the garage

Ah that's interesting, if the whole caliper has excessive play then changing this 'bush' can't hurt.  I guess the pins could also be worn but rubber wears quicker than metal 😉

I bought my 'bush' in a kit; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-BRAKE-CALIPER-REPAIR-KIT-FOR-LEXUS-GS300-GS430-GS450H-IS250-IS300-TOYOTA/123263904168

You might be able to get that bush from the dealer but my local stealer parts department isn't great e.g. didn't know what a PCV was, so I've steered clear since.

Take a look on the likes of Rock Auto, 7zap, etc for the part# and have a hunt around.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, usuf_x said:

yes these are the pins that to me look like are the culprits

I think you missed the point a little - pins are one thing (with rubber or not, as discussed above),  BUT those "wire" springs (look like mad japanese wire H knots) are for stabilisation pads against pins and callipers. Without them everything rattle. They have to be inserted with pins and pad, and in very proper positions, don't ask me what exactly in GS450, my GS430 has different "springs" for fitting pad.

• Like 1

ok so an update.....

I took the car to a different garage over the weekend and his advise was 1st for me to drive it over humps and gently apply the brakes to hear if the noise disappeared, which it did! so that he could rule out any other potential issue.

They had a look and tried to replicate the noise and it defo is coming from the  bottom pin, apparently the other garage who  freed it from the caliper may have taken off more than was needed to free up the pin.

They said i need i need new pin and that ECP dont do these it seems they are a dealer only part.

I had a look and could not see on eBay well at least not the style of the ones i have on mine.

The eBay link posted by Ben looks like a set is this a good price?

Do you guys know the part number for the pins and  do these come as sets or can i but just one?   

just for info ..  when at the service before last my indy thought one of my pins needed replacing he managed to find an odd one in his " stock of bits and bobs " but not from a prior Ls400 .........  just some other odd car.

A non Lexus pin just might suffice if you're lucky to have someone with a few odd one's lying around ..........  like your indy mechanic

Malc