Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

There is a GS 450h , 130 miles on the clock fsh for sale near me , are they a good second hand buy , the Batteries  worry me, owner say they are cheap on eBay but I would not trust a cheap battery  for fire or exploding issues . You advice very welcome .

Any car with a Lexus service history will come with an annual Hybrid Health Check certificate. If it's not got one and the seller won't get one (it's only about £40) walk away, 

If it has a service history and you're happy with the general condition and price, buy it with confidence.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, black400 said:

There is a GS 450h , 130 miles on the clock fsh for sale near me , are they a good second hand buy , the Batteries  worry me, owner say they are cheap on eBay but I would not trust a cheap battery  for fire or exploding issues . You advice very welcome .

It would be highly unlikely that the traction (hybrid) Battery would fail as a complete unit. The batteries are made up of cells and individual cells can be replaced, like this one, for instance.

Repair places like this one also exist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, black400 said:

I dont think the mileage  is a issue  as long as it a Lexus service history and looks clean. what year is the car?

as suggested you can get the owner to get the Hybrid Battery health check done, it not too expensive and will show up any issues yo might have...

When i brought my GS450h i had the same concern but they can be repaired and replaced at a reasonable cost. 

4 minutes ago, black400 said:

Can these be fitted by myself .

if your  know you electrical stuff  and a body builder to take the unit out.. then yes it can be done.

I have seen you tube tutorials online, they make it looks easy....  

38 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

It would be highly unlikely that the traction (hybrid) battery would fail as a complete unit. The batteries are made up of cells and individual cells can be replaced, like this one, for instance.

Repair places like this one also exist.

My turn to be pedantic😉. Individual cells cannot be replaced. Only a module containing 6 cells can be replaced.
There are 40 modules in the GS450H Battery making a total of 240 cells at a nominal voltage "depending on the charge level" of 1.2 volt each cell or 7.2 volts per module, and   288 volts for the 40 modules making up the Battery.

These modules are the same as the Prius module "although the Prius only uses 28 in a battery". The best module to use for replacement are from the Gen3 Prius (2010 on) as these modules have two internal connections between cells lowering the internal resistance of the module, and the heat generated when being charged or discharged at high currents when in use.

I have done much work on these modules in the Prius including rehydrating them "adding fresh electrolyte" to extend there life.

John.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the same predicament as yourself, i cant decide between the GS450h and the GS300. Driven both vehicles. Head is saying GS300, heart is saying GS450h. The GS300 is a bit underpowered for me and would leave me wanting more after a months ownership, however on the flip side it could be a bit kinder on the wallet and longer sleeping hours.

The Battery issue is a cause for concern and i understand the batteries can be reconditioned at a fraction of the cost for a new Battery pack from the main dealer. Plus the age im looking at i wouldnt be able to get a Warranty on the batteries and the budget wont stretch to a later model.

How reliable are these firms that can recondition the batteries? good quality recondition? how long is the guarantee? any good hybrid repair garages in Lancashire?, as i dont fancy tackling the job myself removing the unit and sending it off.

10 minutes ago, AmbroseJohn said:

As long as it's been serviced by a Lexus dealer, it will have a certificate. It matters not, where it's bought from.

But if it has not been serviced by a Lexus dealer in the last 12 months prior to purchase John ?

1 hour ago, black400 said:

There is a 450H in Dublin with Hybrid failure for two grand

Might not be the Battery though.

There's all sorts of things to go wrong, like fluid and cooling pumps etc but for everything that can go wrong there's usually something that can't. Your starter motor can't fail because there not one, the alternator can't fail either. The engine is started by the traction motor, which also charges the batteries. The CVT transmission (contrary to popular belief) is less complicated than on ordinary Auto Transmission.

• Like 1