Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Worn RX400h trailing arm bushes

tertius

HELP!!!!!       I bought an RX400h about a month ago.   It had a new MOT with advisories for the balljoint covers on the rear suspension.   When my garage checked it they found that the bushes on the rear trailing arms (at the chassis end) were worn to the extent that it would fail its next MOT.   It seems that the bushes are integral to the trailing arm and are not sold separately, so that to mend the fault the whole trailing arm assembly has to be replaced.   HOWEVER,  they could not remove the trailing arms because the bushes at the hub end into which they fit were corroded solid, even though the actual rubber portion is unworn.   As penetrating oil has not worked, they suggest that the only way to free the arm is to use heat on the bush which will ruin it.   As THAT bush is integral with the hub assembly, I am facing the possibility of having to buy two complete hubs and two complete trailing arms, probably costing well into four figures, just to replace two worn rubber bushes!

Does anyone have any suggestions which might help?     Many thanks.

Take it back to the trader/dealer you bought it from and get them to put it right because I think I'm right in saying that, by law, they have to give you a minimum of three months warranty.

Also, would this not cast doubt on the validity of that new MOT performed just a month ago?

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I bought it from a near-bombsite operation in Bradford without any workshop facility and  who seemed to know very little about Lexus cars and cared less.   I certainly wouldn't trust him to perform any sort of repair!   As it now turns out, the matter is not as bad as it seemed, and has now been resolved for the time being at least.   Many thanks for your thoughts though.

• 1 year later...

Hello - how did this all turn out?

I'm buying a 2007 RX400h from a dealership in Bradford - but this dealership is very good (WR Motors) - they pointed the fault out and said they would sort it all out before I collect the car. 

QUESTION: Were you able to just sort the bushes, or was a complete repacement of the assembalies necessary (as you described)?

Thanks, James

It’s been quite a while since Tertius has been on the forums but Lexus only do the complete arm.

You can buy aftermarket replacement bushes however including poly versions, prices vary between £30.00 on Fleabay and £80.00 odd from independents.

Hi Steve - thank you very much. 

I've seen complete conrol arms for sale from £30 up.  I've also looked at a youtube video showing a mechanic changing a control / trailing arm. It looks to be two bolts. Easy peasy.

Cheers,

James

You’re welcome,

Just bear in mind a cheap part will probably be of inferior quality which is not something you need with a critical suspension component.

Take a look on Rockauto.com prices are generally half the UK ones and shipping is fast, prices also include UK VAT so no hold up in UK customs.

Bolts have been known to seize in the arms, if you are planning DIY fitting I would suggest a good spray of WD40 the night before.

• Like 1