Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

59 plate RX450h to 15 plate GS300h

Sorry, I've not done that move so I can't offer an answer, but I'm just curious as to what you expect?

They're both Lexus hybrids so you'll be familiar with that aspect.

One is a 'car', the other is an 'SUV' so there's an obvious size difference, but other than that, what can be said?

8 hours ago, sorcerer said:

Sorry, I've not done that move so I can't offer an answer, but I'm just curious as to what you expect?

They're both Lexus hybrids so you'll be familiar with that aspect.

One is a 'car', the other is an 'SUV' so there's an obvious size difference, but other than that, what can be said?

I suppose I am looking for reassurance, eg. has anyone done this and regretted doing so, or was it a good decision.

I drive a GS300h and it's a wonderful car, and even if nowadays SUVs are more appreciated compared to sedans and I confess I thought to buy a RX, you will not be disappointed by GS, provided that you don't need all related to RX dimensions. For sure maintenance costs are lighter with GS.

• 1 month later...

I've just swapped my RX450h for a 64 plate GS300h and it is a superb car to drive!

That said, when I was sitting with just the Battery on inputting phone speed dials, the power went off (Battery flat) after around 5 minutes.

AA did test and said a new Battery was required (saw the test machine), but Lexus dealer says that after a charge, the Battery is fine.

They claim that  just sitting with only Battery power can deplete the Battery fast.  Is that correct?

29 minutes ago, w3andw4d said:

I've just swapped my RX450h for a 64 plate GS300h and it is a superb car to drive!

That said, when I was sitting with just the battery on inputting phone speed dials, the power went off (battery flat) after around 5 minutes.

AA did test and said a new battery was required (saw the test machine), but Lexus dealer says that after a charge, the battery is fine.

They claim that  just sitting with only battery power can deplete the battery fast.  Is that correct?

Yes. Hence why the the manual says to keep the vehicle on and in park but I suppose you didn't read it right?

3 hours ago, w3andw4d said:

Fair enough.

Only just got the car, so haven't read the book yet.

Curious as to why there is a battery only function when it can flatten it within a few minutes? Safety related, I assume?

The 12v Battery isn't used to start the vehicle and therefore can be much smaller than for a traditional vehicle, which saves space and weight. The downside is that it's electrical capacity is much lower and therefore goes flat quite quickly. Draining it below 70% causes minor damage to the Battery, lowering the capacity, which means you are more likely to flatten it again next time and so you get into a vicious circle.

When using any power, e.g. listening to radio etc, you should always have the vehicle in 'Ready' so the hybrid system is providing power to the vehicle, and actually charging the 12v Battery. In 'Ready' if the hybrid Battery goes low the petrol engine will run for a couple of minutes to charge and then shut down again.

In GS 12V Battery is 70 Ah, not so small, but of course it needs to be charged, so it's a good idea to let the car ON, as after 1 minute thermal engine reaches temperature and all system works with HV Battery (recharging 12V too).

My suggestion is to recharge it with a C-tek and verify voltage.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links