Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I saw a post the other day, which I now cannot find,  where someone mentioned the company that Lexus use to make the pads for the LS (and quite possibly other Lexi).

Just curious as to the name of the company, can anyone recall.

Hi Pete 

According to research the USA LS400 and 430 were fitted with Akebono ceramic brake pads, as the Ls was imported complete into the US I presume the factory fit was for all exports including the UK.

Although the original brake pads I took off my rear calipers were Shunitomo and the calipers were likewise.so there may be some regional preferences depending on vehicle usage.

Phil,

Thanks for that, the Shunitomo rings a bell.

I have blueprints (and I think my discs are not OEM), and though okay, I feel the need to go 'proper' Lexus as on my Mk3 I had them, and the braking seemed 'better' than I get now on Mk4.

I have not checked what make my calipers are, but might have a look over the weekend if the wife does not give me too big a list of things to do.

Phil,
Thanks for that, the Shunitomo rings a bell.
I have blueprints (and I think my discs are not OEM), and though okay, I feel the need to go 'proper' Lexus as on my Mk3 I had them, and the braking seemed 'better' than I get now on Mk4.
I have not checked what make my calipers are, but might have a look over the weekend if the wife does not give me too big a list of things to do.
Don't forget there's more to braking than just discs and pads. Don't forget to take into account tyres, road conditions and brake fluid/cylinders.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I was asking my indy now, just servicing the Honda Legend, about the occasional slight pulling to the left ...........  new front disks and pads put on by the Honda Main Dealer last year ( cheaper than my indy could achieve he said !           so i took his advice on that one  )   AND he confirms nothing at all awry with any of the braking systems, steering stuff and whatever ..  it's simply the Pirelli tyres having developed a slight hard/flat spot on a part of the edge ( of one or both fronts ) causing the effect.

Sadly the Pirelli tyres still have quite a few thousand miles wear left on them and I cannot justify the inordinate expense of replacing all 4 with another make ( just yet )

So just to say that what might seem like a brake issue just might actually be a tyre one instead :Jumpy:

Malc

Malc,

The front tyres are scrubbed, and just had tracking sorted, and will be getting tow new ones in next couple of weeks.

Reason for thinking both pads and discs need doing is I get brake squeal (no ma

1 minute ago, ambermarine said:

Hi Pete

Just an update the correct spelling is Sumitomo and they were fitted 95 to 2000 on the LS400

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Malc said:

I was asking my indy now, just servicing the Honda Legend, about the occasional slight pulling to the left ...........  new front disks and pads put on by the Honda Main Dealer last year ( cheaper than my indy could achieve he said !           so i took his advice on that one  )   AND he confirms nothing at all awry with any of the braking systems, steering stuff and whatever ..  it's simply the Pirelli tyres having developed a slight hard/flat spot on a part of the edge ( of one or both fronts ) causing the effect.

Sadly the Pirelli tyres still have quite a few thousand miles wear left on them and I cannot justify the inordinate expense of replacing all 4 with another make ( just yet )

So just to say that what might seem like a brake issue just might actually be a tyre one instead :Jumpy:

Malc

I suspect my tyres are a small part of the problem, just had bad toe in on fronts sorted, car drives and brakes in straight line, no judder or pull, but the fronts tyres well scrubbed on edges, so will be replaced soon, but probably have another 2k miles in them.

Once all done hoping to get back that lovely smooth drive I expect from an LS when it has new rubber to roll on.

The interesting part of this topic thrown up by Pete's question is the Sumitomo brake element.

The company is actually a subsidary of Sumitomo Electrics a company that is part of the Sumitomo group a massive conglomerate that operates in commodities Banking and trading in a multitude of disciplines.

The Sumitono braking subsidary partnered with Aisin, Denso and Toyota in 2001 to form Advics a tier one supplier to the automotive industry in the development of electronic braking systems.

To those members who used Falken tyres they were made by the Sumitomo tyre company as well as other  makes unfamiliar to us in the UK.

The Toyota pads that you get when ordering Lexus brake parts will still be turned out by the Sumitimo factory in my opinion.

But the brand name I think as disappeared and will now be Advic's on subsequent models

21 hours ago, ambermarine said:

The interesting part of this topic thrown up by Pete's question is the Sumitomo brake element.

The company is actually a subsidary of Sumitomo Electrics ..

Phil,  Amazing bit of research.  Has helped me make sense of some of the names I have heard when talking to a few mechanics over the years

BTW the system of rear pads, put in the "pockets" from outside of calliper, is commonly known as "Sumitomo system", at least in "my area".

And keep in mind all Japan is constructed around enormous  conglomerates, cooperate (or fight behind curtain) at huge scale. Sumitomo, Seibu, Toyota, Toshiba, Hitachi, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Fuji/Subaru, Mitsubishi, etc. You think Kawasaki bike, Subaru (former Fuji Heavy Industries) cars, Hitachi electronics, but they produce everything, from ships to spaceships. And sometimes cars or parts for cars, so don't be suprise by strange names and connections.

I remember my visit in Tokyo, next to Tokyo Central station and Edo castle, I just went around and suddenly recognised half of this "Tokyo Manhattan", one of the most expensive land in the world, is owned by Mitsubishi Group - Mitsubishi towers, bank, offices everywhere. But Mitsubishi Motors is probably rather low positon in Mitsubishi Group big boss'es excel sheet.

There is as Ben says a large amount of co-operation and grouping of assets in Japan in terms of knowledge and shared values, no wasting energy on fighting the opposition use it to each others advantage.

Its a pity we do not use the same logic in the UK ,The number of people I have seen over the years thrown on the industrial scrapheap to salve some assets stripper 's ego and  derelict factories gone to the wall because of the enemy syndrome drilled into business executives.

I once worked for major scaffolding group that was sold off by its parent group as a non core participant, I suffered redundancy before the event to make the company look lean and nimble on its salary expenditure and the purchasing company paid everybody off after they took over ,no intention of partying, we were the former enemy.

Anyway they did me a favour I moved into another industry invented a new product which made me enough in five years to retire  at fifty.

The dog eat dog attitude of the UK industrial field as more losers than the Japanese philosophy 

If you are fitting new pads, just go To Euro Car Parts and fit Pagid. Simple, very good, fair price .....and they work well.