Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacement key

The plastic part of my ignition key has broken, unfortunately the part carrying the metal stem. I bought a complete new key blank from Timpsons but they are unable to machine the stem and I can't swap the new and old stems because they are cast into the plastic. Does anyone know of someone who can machine the stem? I know from an earlier enquiry that Lexus dealers will only sell you a complete lockset for the whole car at a silly price.

When I bought my car I was promised a 2nd key and then fobbed off (no pun).  I had to get the main dealer to give me a 2nd key for about £120  😞  Recently the plastic housing on one of my keys was broken by someone trying to turn it when the lock was on so for now I'm using the other key.  If noone can machine the stems then I don't know why you can buy replacement keys in key shops?

Hi All,

At the beginning of the year I had the same problem, both my keys snapped, one snapped summer last year and in Jan the second snapped.

I ordered two keys for £5 from eBay and cost my £29 to get both blades cut at a local locksmith.

Hope others can find local locksmiths to cut their blades.

Dean

Phone and email locksmiths, much cheaper than a dealer.

I lost the main key for my 1996 Volvo 940. Luckily had a spare to copy, but locksmiths can cut new key from scratch.

Volvo no longer do them and other problem is key has an immobiliser chip programmed to the car. Phoned round key cutting places and found a local firm in Birmingham CT locksmiths who programmed a new chip and ordered a blank key and cut it all in the space of 5 hours for £40. I was well happy.

I presume being a 2003 your car has an engine immobiliser chip in the key too? If new cut key doesn't work, tape the top part of your old key with chip to the new key or get the old chip fitted into the new key. The engine immobiliser chip came out in 1995 according to the locksmith, so my car an early user!

James:thumbsup:

The key has now arrived and works perfectly. Recommend the supplier suggested by Sorcerer: good communications, quick service, sensible price, and it works. Many thanks to everyone who responded.

• Like 1