Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Corrosion On Alloy Wheels

doobs

I have a 53 reg IS200 SE with the standard 17" alloys and I was informed at the dealership that recent cars have alloys that have been finished/lacquered to a higher standard. Although I am hoping there will not be any problems, I have already noticed the odd very minor blemish (at this stage) already ater a few months. This makes me ask the question - have Lexus solved the issue of corrosion on these alloys - I am not convinced that they have! Although the alloys are lovely, I think to myself, if these alloys are giving cause for concern then why on earth don't Lexus not change the design. I have had other vehicles with alloy wheels from far less respectable manufacturers and not had these concerns.

Taking this a stage further, if Lexus replace the wheels under warranty, do they replace all five alloys and do you get new tyres with the replacement alloys or do they fit your old tyres on the replacement alloys?

another thing lexus has improved is the rear drums

post 2001 they improved them so the dreaded rust problem wouldnt occur :huh:

and guess what, !! they still rust :lol:

to be fair all manufacturers alloy wheels have problems,

conditions in this country dont help, especially after all the salt that gets spread around at this time of year :crybaby:

you get to keep your tyres :)

:driving: Just had my second set of wheels replaced due to corrosion.

Am told that Lexus is aware of the problem, but as it only happens on GB cars due to the salt used on the roads its cheaper for them to replace than change the spec.

That is for now at least. Not had a problem having them replaced. Sorry state of affairs though.

I have a 53 reg IS200 SE with the standard 17" alloys and I was informed at the dealership that recent cars have alloys that have been finished/lacquered to a higher standard. Although I am hoping there will not be any problems, I have already noticed the odd very minor blemish (at this stage) already ater a few months. This makes me ask the question - have Lexus solved the issue of corrosion on these alloys - I am not convinced that they have! Although the alloys are lovely, I think to myself, if these alloys are giving cause for concern then why on earth don't Lexus not change the design. I have had other vehicles with alloy wheels from far less respectable manufacturers and not had these concerns.

Taking this a stage further, if Lexus replace the wheels under warranty, do they replace all five alloys and do you get new tyres with the replacement alloys or do they fit your old tyres on the replacement alloys?

I got all five alloys replaced but had to go back for the spare and point out that it too was corroded.

I lacquered the new set straight away and wash and wax every month since which the corrosion has been kept at bay.

have Lexus solved the issue of corrosion on these alloys - I am not convinced that they have!

if Lexus replace the wheels under warranty, do they replace all five alloys and do you get new tyres with the replacement alloys or do they fit your old tyres on the replacement alloys?

No they haven't solved the problem. New cars being sold now will still suffer.

The refurb wheels they fit as replacements seem to be more resilient.

They replace all 5 wheels and swap your tyres onto the new ones.

Unless of course you have new tyres at the same time :blush:

hi,

A quickie on the same topic - i had mine replaced 18 months ago and now they're going again :( Does the 3 year warranty on wheels start from the replacement date? In other words even though my car's warranty runs out next month (it is 3 years old) will my wheels be warrantied for another 18 months?

rob

hi,

A quickie on the same topic - i had mine replaced 18 months ago and now they're going again :( Does the 3 year warranty on wheels start from the replacement date? In other words even though my car's warranty runs out next month (it is 3 years old) will my wheels be warrantied for another 18 months?

rob

no

it runs with the main warranty period of 3 years from date of purchase

i thought the wheels had 4 years on them, might be wrong