Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rubbing noise whilst driving

I wonder if anyone here is able to give me an idea as to what is wrong.

I am getting a rubbing noise whilst driving, which seems to be coming from the wheels (though not sure which one or if many) but I could be mistaken there.

The frequency of the noise increases as speed increases, and I think the only way I can describe it, is that it sounds like a washing machine on spin cycle, that has an uneven load.

Some days it is worse than others, and to me, it seems worse when I go around a roundabout or turn right!!

I am thinking wheel bearing or Wheel hubs, but I am no expert at all.

Car has done 112000 miles, so I am keen to try and get an idea of how much it might cost to fix. If it is too much then it may be time to say goodbye to it.

The Clutch has just been replaced as have the rear brake pads and all 4 tyres, so have already spent a fair bit on it in the last 5 months.

Appreciate any guidance.

I hope you check and tighten wheels nuts first. But - take car to any shop, even tyre shop, ask boys to lift it and try (or ask them to try) to manually spin a wheels and to check wheel on the hub. If vigorous spin give you awful grinding noise from hub, its a hub problem. Other classic check is like: hands on hours 12 and 6 on lifted wheel and sharp powerful moves, rather inside-outside than up-down (but not left-right, this is check for steering and suspension problems). Any loosing or clicks from hub - you need a new bearing/hub (or to thigh old one, if its possible to tight, not so long grinded and very hi quality). Only issue and some skills you need: dont confuse hub click/loose with any suspension parts loosing around. And no significant sound or loosing form hub - still there are many other possible reasons, like brakes/discs, halfshafts, any parts touching wheels etc. but probably you need proper workshop to diagnostic.

Check the disc isn't rubbing against the back plate.

Often a build up of rust on the outer edge of the disc can make contact with the plate, or the plate may have been slightly bent / warped. I had the same symptoms on my IS200. 

7 hours ago, iandlm said:

I wonder if anyone here is able to give me an idea as to what is wrong.

I am getting a rubbing noise whilst driving, which seems to be coming from the wheels (though not sure which one or if many) but I could be mistaken there.

The frequency of the noise increases as speed increases, and I think the only way I can describe it, is that it sounds like a washing machine on spin cycle, that has an uneven load.

Some days it is worse than others, and to me, it seems worse when I go around a roundabout or turn right!!

I am thinking wheel bearing or Wheel hubs, but I am no expert at all.

Car has done 112000 miles, so I am keen to try and get an idea of how much it might cost to fix. If it is too much then it may be time to say goodbye to it.

The Clutch has just been replaced as have the rear brake pads and all 4 tyres, so have already spent a fair bit on it in the last 5 months.

Appreciate any guidance.

I had something similar on my last IS. Turns out it was an issue with the wheels - they could not hold pressure correctly as the inner alloy on two had corroded and was resulting in air loss (similar to a slow puncture) in pushing the rubber away from the rim slightly and creating an irregular balance. The wheel corrosion is a known issue with the original OEM wheels.. I would check your tyre pressures as a start point.

I must say that all the years I have been on this forum I haven't heard of there being an issue with the wheel bearings, cant remember a time where its been a forum topic either? but not to say it cant happen...

• 2 weeks later...

So it turned out to be the Rear N/S Hub bearing that was causing it.

Stripped and replaced and now sounding a lot more like a Lexus should - Quiet!!!!

Happy days

Thanks for all the possible Causes all. Much appreciated

12 minutes ago, iandlm said:

So it turned out to be the Rear N/S Hub bearing that was causing it.

Stripped and replaced and now sounding a lot more like a Lexus should - Quiet!!!!

Happy days

Thanks for all the possible Causes all. Much appreciated

Glad you are sorted out happy days again.