Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

About 4 yrs ago after very hard winter my reversing camera stopped working properly. Replacing it meant around £1000. So decided to do without.

My Indy ( Japex ) found that there was evidence of water ingress. After this hot & dry summer, guess what, camera has started to work. Joy.

All I have to do now is to have leak source found and fixed.

• Like 2

I would suggest good quality non-acid non-coloured silicone (easy sourced from electronic shops and workshops). Clean the pieces before seal and apply silicone very tiny aroud the "glass", cable entry, and any suspicious places.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shiner said:

Thanks Ben. I am going to get the garage to fix the leak and will pass on your suggestion to them.

No problem. And press them to non-acid silicone, or maybe other option in the garage is any polyurethane agent (like this black glue for windscreens, it is good sticky stuff but "heavy", messy and risky next to camera len). In all cases like above, never use popular silicones (smell vinegar = acid = electronics next to this corrode) or acrylic agents (they are not good at all as outdoor sealants).

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Shiner said:

About 4 yrs ago after very hard winter my reversing camera stopped working properly. Replacing it meant around £1000. So decided to do without.

My Indy ( Japex ) found that there was evidence of water ingress. After this hot & dry summer, guess what, camera has started to work. Joy.

All I have to do now is to have leak source found and fixed.

And don't you start to rely on it? I didn't have one on my LS but I have one on my GS, now I wouldn't want to be without one.  I did fit one on the dash of an LS400 a few years ago, just £20 from eBay and an amazingly clear image.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

And don't you start to rely on it? I didn't have one on my LS but I have one on my GS, now I wouldn't want to be without one.  I did fit one on the dash of an LS400 a few years ago, just £20 from eBay and an amazingly clear image.

I use to rev camera in previous company car, and as you said I immediately bought nice piece from eBay for GS, but I could not find any place on dash to put this screen and not to ruin the dash (and I don't like idea to put it into sunvisor either). So I stay with oldschool sonic sensors now.  Have you any photo of your mount and dash?

5 hours ago, Ben01 said:

I use to rev camera in previous company car, and as you said I immediately bought nice piece from ebay for GS, but I could not find any place on dash to put this screen and not to ruin the dash (and I don't like idea to put it into sunvisor either). So I stay with oldschool sonic sensors now.  Have you any photo of your mount and dash?

There is a picture of it somewhere on this forum but I wouldn't know where to find it, try searching under reversing cameras and you should find it.  I mounted it in the corner on top of the dash, there's lots of space on the old LS dashboard!

There you go, I found it.  I'd forgotten how fab my old LS400 was inside!

post-32919-0-97702400-1359302137.jpg

post-32919-0-11637400-1359302105.jpg

• Like 1

Phil, thanks (and I could not find any your photo too).

Honestly, I never think about this place and it looks not so bad. I focused on driver's surrounding and drivers "corner" where I had LEDs for aftermarket parking sensors in many cars (current GS too) and missed passenger "corner" opportunity totaly. And I thought even on ashtray (too much diggin and ashtray is useful) and sunvisor (I don't like the idea and some problems with cabling etc. too). Food for thought.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links