acer54

RX 400h Winter tyres or all season tyres?

Recommended Posts

Are all season tyres a good option for the Winter or should I fit Winter tyres?

Which brands are recommended or known to be good on my RX400h? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen2 are truly excellent in all conditions.

Are all season tyres a good option for the Winter or should I fit Winter tyres?
Which brands are recommended or known to be good on my RX400h? 


Sent from my D6633 using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On our sadly departed XC90 I had both. Ran Nokian WR SUV 3 winters year round and they were superb but I suppose may have worn a little quicker. Absolutely unstoppable in snow. Then swapped those for Pirelli Scorpion All Seasons because the price was good. Again, no problems but not quite as sure footed in snow. Never had a problem, I just had to be a bit more cautious.

You can thank me later for not answering your question in any way :biggrin:

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best is to get two sets of summers and winters but this may be impractical or not worth while depending on you.

Continental Winter contact TS860 is amongst the best.

The best all season tyres are still poor in the extreme cold/snow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking forward to some snow, now I have new Michelin Cross Climates...

I find that 'snow' button helps to.

And proper deicer and screen wash - I like Prestone...

And old style driving gloves when the steering wheel is cold...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yay! Winter tyre thread! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PCM said:

I'm looking forward to some snow, now I have new Michelin Cross Climates...

I find that 'snow' button helps to.

And proper deicer and screen wash - I like Prestone...

And old style driving gloves when the steering wheel is cold...

Gloves with the string backs ??? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, C Mclean said:

Gloves with the string backs ??? 

Oh yes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately I'm from down south and normally any snow has melted by lunch time .ok if we do get snow it's for a few days at most and we normally just shout down the phone to the boss there a bloody inch of snow out there it's too dangerous to go to work lol.i will fit a half track rear end just in case .lol

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cross Climates, best compromise 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this view...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pfff I've driven my 3 ton laden van through worse and not got stuck on half worn van tyres. It's not snow you get stuck in .it's when it's freezes over night compacted ice underneath ,Are there any tests on icy road with these tyres.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your more likely to encounter icy weather conditions than snow in the south .and I'm not sold on all season tyres just yet .i would rather choose a good rain tyre over a all season with good anti aqua planning qualitys I've seen more cars loosing it in the rain .the only thing that's going to help in icy conditions is winter tyres. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not had to use my Cross Climates in serious snow yet but on slush and compacted snow/ice they were fine; I've always felt in total control.  I was an early adopter of them and have done approx. 38,000 miles on a set of four.  I haven't rotated the tyres from front to rear so as a result the fronts are on 3.5mm and the rears on 6.5mm.  I think that's excellent wear for a heavy, essentially front wheel drive, vehicle.  When I bought them they were about £180 per tyre; latest quote I've had from Costco was £257 for two (I think as I've lost the piece of paper with the quote on!).  Costco have only just started selling the 19 inch Cross Climates with the RX450h profile and have a discount deal at the moment.  I can't remember if the £257 is with or without the discount; I have a feeling it's without!  Given the excellent performance and wear I'd say they are well worth the money.  I'll certainly buy them again, which will probably be in a couple of months or whenever the fronts are down to 3mm.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Glover said:

Given the excellent performance and wear I'd say they are well worth the money.  I'll certainly buy them again, which will probably be in a couple of months or whenever the fronts are down to 3mm.

Keep an eye out for offers from Michelin which crop up around this time of year. Got £100 back on preloaded debit card this time last year on a set of 4.Would have been £50 for a pair 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2019 at 12:06 AM, Glover said:

I've not had to use my Cross Climates in serious snow yet but on slush and compacted snow/ice they were fine; I've always felt in total control.  I was an early adopter of them and have done approx. 38,000 miles on a set of four.  I haven't rotated the tyres from front to rear so as a result the fronts are on 3.5mm and the rears on 6.5mm.  I think that's excellent wear for a heavy, essentially front wheel drive, vehicle.  When I bought them they were about £180 per tyre; latest quote I've had from Costco was £257 for two (I think as I've lost the piece of paper with the quote on!).  Costco have only just started selling the 19 inch Cross Climates with the RX450h profile and have a discount deal at the moment.  I can't remember if the £257 is with or without the discount; I have a feeling it's without!  Given the excellent performance and wear I'd say they are well worth the money.  I'll certainly buy them again, which will probably be in a couple of months or whenever the fronts are down to 3mm.

I know 'honest john' talks about too big a disparity on AWD/4WD between front and back, can upset the 'system'...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, PCM said:

I know 'honest john' talks about too big a disparity on AWD/4WD between front and back, can upset the 'system'...

I don't believe that's relevant to RX hybrids though? Because there's no transfer box, centre diff or the like, there's a just a separate motor for the back end.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I don't believe that's relevant to RX hybrids though? Because there's no transfer box, centre diff or the like, there's a just a separate motor for the back end.

That's one of the great advantages of the Hybrid, no risk of 'winding up' the transmission. I know of someone with a Porsche Macan which has had 3 transfer cases under warranty and will need replacing again shortly . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree. The RX is not 4wd, depending on how you drive you may not activate the rear wheels on a journey and even when they are being driven it's usually only for a very short period.  Hence no problem with different wear rates but when replacing tyres the new tyres should go on the rear.

Thanks for the heads up on the Michelin offers; I'll compare with Costco when I'm ready to change, which should be before Christmas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2019 at 7:54 AM, olliesgrandad said:

Keep an eye out for offers from Michelin which crop up around this time of year. Got £100 back on preloaded debit card this time last year on a set of 4.Would have been £50 for a pair 

Hi Les, where exactly these offers come up? On Michelin site? 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Vlady said:

Hi Les, where exactly these offers come up? On Michelin site? 

Thanks

My local tyre dealer Chris Mullins in Gloucester told me about them and I waited a few weeks before he ordered the tyres. I've done this twice. 

I'm not sure if all Michelin stockists do the offers. Try googling Michelin tyre cashback offer. Think it last ran in April this year so may hopefully be on in the next few weeks. I think I got my last tyres in October. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

My local tyre dealer Chris Mullins in Gloucester told me about them and I waited a few weeks before he ordered the tyres. I've done this twice. 

I'm not sure if all Michelin stockists do the offers. Try googling Michelin tyre cashback offer. Think it last ran in April this year so may hopefully be on in the next few weeks. I think I got my last tyres in October. 

Costco does now £80 of 4-off 18" tyres, the offer is until 22nd of September. Will do more research.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Vlady said:

Costco does now £80 of 4-off 18" tyres, the offer is until 22nd of September. Will do more research.

I don't think they have an offer on a Cross Climate though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Club Hybrid Poll

  • 72 Hybrid Reliability

    1. 1. If you were to consider buying a Hybrid model over 5 years old, would you be worried about the reliability of the Hybrid system?


      • Not really as Hybrid systems are always reliable
      • Not if it had a Manufacturers Warranty on the Hybrid system
      • I would not buy a Hybrid model over 5 years old