Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well now, the missus brushed up another car at the weekend, slightly, I guess its far from being written off - looking at selling it and buying a 400h next year so not even sure if its worth getting it repaired as the excess is £400 on the policy and its probably worth more in bits.

Done 79,000 miles and a 53 plate SEL - all shocks working as they should and no real problems to speak of.  Love to get it written off and buy it back for salvage but looks an easy repair - on the plus side its the side that got keyed badly when we went to the O2 a few months back.

20180722_142917.jpg

I wouldn't bother claiming, unless the 3rd party has significant damage, most smart repairers would carry out a perfectly adequate job, it's 15 years old and you could run it for quite some time I'd bet. Insurers love to bump up premiums for years for such claims. 

Hope it ends well for you.

Ed

• Like 2

TP will be claiming as it was more than a scuff on their bumper so our insurance will be going north anyway, in 3 minds about spending the £400 xs and trying to sell it for reasonable money or sell as it is.  Theres so many 300's for sale at the moment it probably wont get much more than £4K, although its low mileage for the year.  Defo want a 400h or wait another couple of years and get s 450h.

Had an accident 3 years ago , clash of wing mirrors on my Q7 with a guy driving a van £600 damage and even tho' I had a witness saying it was deffo his fault plus my dashcam evidence , Admiral only managed to get me back £300 and eventually gave up chasing the remaining £300 of my claim , my quote with them the following year went North by £450 and has gone up significantly year on year even tho I changed Insurers you still have to declare the accident details , your fault or not they milk everyone 🙄

• Like 1

True that, you have to work the system if you get into claiming - I had my old vectra that I paid £900 written off for £1300, bought it back for £71 and repaired it for another £120, drive it for another year and sold it for £500.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If the third party is making a claim you might as well get your car sorted as well since your insurance is going to hike up anyway. It will count as one claim even if either or both cars are fixed . 

Other car was stationary with no one in it....oh yes its her fault!  She was waiting for the owner to come back as it was in a car park and she had a few people taking photos and running to tell the security - joke really as it was in the afternoon with lots of people around, I doubt anyone would of just driven off unless they had "car park" number plates.

I would pay for the other cars damage if it was a scuff but she hit something hard to make the dent in the our rear arch like a front panel or something.  

On 26 July 2018 at 10:32 AM, foxy-stoat said:

Other car was stationary with no one in it....oh yes its her fault!  She was waiting for the owner to come back as it was in a car park and she had a few people taking photos and running to tell the security - joke really as it was in the afternoon with lots of people around, I doubt anyone would of just driven off unless they had "car park" number plates.

I would pay for the other cars damage if it was a scuff but she hit something hard to make the dent in the our rear arch like a front panel or something.  

That is what I meant that since the other party might not accept a cash payment from you and insist on going through insurance then you will lose your excess anyway so might as well get your own car  sorted . 

9 hours ago, dandydons said:

That is what I meant that since the other party might not accept a cash payment from you and insist on going through insurance then you will lose your excess anyway so might as well get your own car  sorted . 

If you settle with cash, get a signed and witnessed acceptance that the £ is for full and final settlement with no future recourse - or something ...

Personally I would bite the bullet, claim and then both vehicles are repaired without there being any hassle in the future. It is amazing how expensive a small amount of damage can be in the wrong area. A scuff on the front bumper and broken fixing clip on my wife's Fiat 500 was almost 2 grand because it was 3 coat pearlescent  white paint. The cost of the paint was£400 alone. They did replace the front panel because he said that once it has flexed and stressed the micro crazing might cause problems a couple of years later if repainted. That was claimed on insurance and her premium has remained the same. 

• Like 1

I am not paying the other guy out, he is claiming off our policy. I was just in 2 minds whether to fix and pay the £400 excess and sell the car, sell as is or repair it myself if the cost was £400.

I think it's going on be more than £400 by a log way, assuming they flick the other door in and paint the whole rear quarter. Just didn't want them to locally repair the rear arch and leave me a patch worked side as it's silver.

Thanks for input though.

6 hours ago, foxy-stoat said:

I am not paying the other guy out, he is claiming off our policy. I was just in 2 minds whether to fix and pay the £400 excess and sell the car, sell as is or repair it myself if the cost was £400.

I think it's going on be more than £400 by a log way, assuming they flick the other door in and paint the whole rear quarter. Just didn't want them to locally repair the rear arch and leave me a patch worked side as it's silver.

Thanks for input though.

When i bought my car recently the lexus dealer hadn't prepared it properly .The upshot was the car couldn't be smart repaired (silver and rear of offside rear door) and so it was repaired at Lexus Leicester bodyshop. Damage was a tiny dent on rear o/s door which you could only see in certain light and horizontal scratching in the paint which again was hard to see unless you looked closely and ran a fingernail into it.. They had to paint the side of the car and you would never know it has been near a spraygun. Insist on it going to a Lexus approved bodyshop so you know it will be done right.