Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Life expectancy of V6 exhaust

Hi everyone.

Can you give me any ideas on the life expectancy of the exhaust system on the is250 petrol.

What age/mileage and part failures please.

I'm about to take the plunge on a 2011 is and obviously the car is 7 years old.

I'm going to ask dealer to put on ramps so I can view but suspect they won't do this...h&s bulls##t

Cheers

Paul

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My 2007 40k miler is on OEM exhaust and just passed another MOT without mention couple of days ago!

Lots of short journeys will have a far worst effect of the longevity of the exhaust system, more than total mileage done if the system is allowed to get upto a temp high enough to 'burn off' any residual moisture within when engine is shut down.

Until recently the choice of exhaust replacement was limited to Genuine Lexus (£1,000's ).  Or bespoke one off jobs, but now there are sellers ( notably EBay) with replacement items at down to earth prices.

Note, don't be put off by surface rust as they didn't take long to get like that from new ( mild steel and not stainless!) but a failure point is the crutch of the V where the pipes split left & right. Look for black soot staining.

paul m.

• Like 2

Mine is a 07 plate auto, with 73k on the clock. I do short journeys alot and live in London. I still have the original oem exhaust with no issues to date. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Texas said:

Lots of short journeys will have a far worst effect of the longevity of the exhaust system, more than total mileage done

BTW worst scenario is not mileage (meh), short journeys (mhm), but if car has low mileage because stays for long long time not used at all, at the garage even, don't mention under the not-so-blue British sky. The exhaust could be rusted "above and beyond" in this case (and it was my first GS story, I think).

Also don't forget the amount of occasions in recent years you have seen news footage of roads flooded with cars upto their cills in water!

not all those cars will be 'written off' by insurance companies and taken out of the system, so unless you have owned the car for a good number of years always be suspicious of flood damage when buying a car, dry silt in any interior crevices (easiest to check boot) is a tell-tell sign of previous exposure to flooding.

paul m.

• Like 1

I would agree there is a lot suspiciously rusted "bargain barges" every time there is a lot of literally sunken barges on the roads, but precisely - I've never seen or thought flood affects exhausts too much. Sills, floors, all steel corners, anything and everything under matts and carpets? of course. Half broken electronics? included. But exhaust? not so much, half year stay in a corner of the yard damage exhaust much more than two days uder the water. BTW I have same opinion on brakes, same problems vs. long stay, mileage and flood.

The first IS 250 I had the exhaust went at around 75k miles and it was almost 6 years old.

The second IS I have is on 27k miles and is 12 years old. I have had it on a ramp to check a weak point and the complete system and it is sound throughout. Not a lot of rust as you would expect yet on the outside of the pipes as it was garaged for years by the previous owner.

The weak point is just after the centre resonator where the pipe exits the box as it is not supported at that point and it takes both a lot of weight and a lot of expansion movement when going over rough roads - ok ... don't mention pot holes!!!

It can be repaired quite easy if you have a ramp as I managed it before I replaced the exhaust with a stainless one - when the stainless one went on I looked at the repair and I could not break it, ok, I did try by hand but the place where it goes (where it went on mine) makes it an easy repair...

Mine's just coming up to 100k (2009) and is still on its first exhaust.  Last couple of inspections with Lexus have been all clear.  I do about 12500 miles per year, a lot of which is on motorways so it gets plenty warm.  This seems to be keeping it in good condition so far.

Life expectancy depends on how car is driven. If it is predominately city car with a lot of short journeys I would give it 60k/6 years, if the car is mostly high miles motorway (where exhaust can fully warm-up) 100k+/10 years is certainly possible. My car is still on first exhaust (180k), but it is certainly not rust free, few tiny holes around.

In summary IS250 exhaust last just as much as any other car, which in my experience is ~8 years, unless SS systems were used in factory. The only issue is that OE exhaust costs over £3000 new, but that is bonkers - nobody pays this amount. You can get rear and middle sections custom made from SS between £600-800, add another £400-600 for down-piles and exhaust manifold. Generally, you most likely find issue with rear section and that can be replaced for £300-400.. I would modify rear part of middle section at the same time and would order rear section as proper dual pipe (in OE the 2 exhaust merges after cats, goes into single resonator and then splits again into 2 silencers).

Hi Paul,

Where in Yorkshire are you? Check out Tony Banks in Leeds. Give him a call and get a worst case scenario price. My CAT-back system cost around £5/600 so the IS250 should be around the same.

By the way lots of other folk on the Forum here have used him too :)

Cheers,

Noman

• Like 1

I've a 2010 SE-I with a smidge over 119k on the clock and I've done more than half of that but typically 20 mile journeys including motorway, no issues so far. If you just drive a few miles a day on a regular basis my advice don't get a SE250 V6 otherwise it won't get up to temperature, especially in the winter as that block is a big lump.

On 7/29/2018 at 3:23 PM, Fishboy said:

my advice don't get a SE250 V6 

And certainly not IS220d as that would be even worse, the answer would be to get a hybrid for low miles and city. So if you want IS mk2 the choice is pretty limited.

Mine's a 57 plate with just shy of 60k on it. The back end of the exhaust system (cat back) has surface rust but nothng else. I'm sure it'll be fine, unless it was parked in a vat that contained nothing but concentrated British winter weather and salt.

On 7/26/2018 at 11:42 AM, Linas.P said:

Life expectancy depends on how car is driven. If it is predominately city car with a lot of short journeys I would give it 60k/6 years

Yet here mine is, a car with it's entire life in London, doing short journeys, with no hint of holes or nastiness, just your usual surface rust.