Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS-F Brakes

Recently I have noticed that the brakes are becoming excessivley squeaky whereby people are acutally turning round everytime I stop (and not for the right reasons lol). Are squeaky brakes a common issue with GS-F as I have never had this issue with previous cars. Have tried jetwashing for any debris, cleaning, etc.

Anyone with similar issue or any suggestions?

J

Yep - pretty common.

Wouldnt hurt to get your dealer to check them over, but I doubt they’ll find any issues.

i believe I read somewhere that you can swap the pads out for less squeaky varieties at the loss of some performance.

hi i had the some thing in my 2016 GSF here a link to the video of the sound https://vimeo.com/user31794025/review/282018025/6691530ad8 After 4 months with the local Lexus dealership in Reading where they replace the calipers and the brakes twice  then i got Lexus UK involved  and they  sent one of their  break engineers from Europe he come and look to the car spent the whole day with me driving around my local area in the end they took the car back to Lexus UK I may give me a temporary RX 450 after another five months of them trying to get rid of the squeaky brakes  and me complaining to the European head of Lexus they replace my car with the new 2018 GSF my old GSF only had 3000 miles on it from the start of me complaining to receiving a new GSF was around 9 months so in the end I had a brand new GSF and Lexus UK gave me £15000 is compensation the key for me was I started complaining about the squeaky brakes two days after buying the car brand new and I had immense help from a guy called Paul Miller it was a dealer principal of Lexus Reading you help me tirelessly to get this sorted.

if you need any help please let me know as I've got a list of contacts at Lexus Europe and the uk the strange thing about it is this is a known case in the US as I have a GSF in America there

• Thanks 1

where did you buy it from as Lexus UK told me that  it was going back to Lexus japan  as it  stall got mobile phone mirroring as all the cables were in the glove compartment when??? i had it it was only very bad when it at slow speeds 

1 minute ago, zingman said:

where did you buy it from as Lexus UK told me that  it was going back to Lexus japan  as it  stall got mobile phone mirroring as all the cables were in the glove compartment when??? i had it it was only very bad when it at slow speeds 

Bought from Lexus liverpool last November with 5k miles. Previous owner shows as Lexus GB so I thought it was a management car.when I bought it my phone wouldn't pair up with the car so they took it back and said a plug had come out of the media unit. There are some leads in the glove box but never tried to use them as I'm a bit of a technophobe and wasnt sure what they were for..

ok it was my company car as my company buy around 35  lexus a year if you got an Android phone you can use app like Waze from your phone and it goes on to the navigation screen it cool.... a guy who works for Lexus in the US said that it was down to the way that that was set up he said that  camber and the wheels were  not sitting properly on the road as well I got to 2000 miles there was some adverse wear on the tires and the noise of the  squeaky brake  is not the caliper and the disc made in the noise apparently it's a ultrasonic sound if i can help in any way here  my email colin.herridge@hotmail.com 

Had the fuel pump recall done the other day at Lexus Reading. Whilst there they looked at my brakes and couldn't find an issue. They confirmed that the TSB for the RC F squealing brakes doesn't apply to the GS F even though they use exactly the same components. Their only advise was to contact Lexus GB, but based on my passed experience with them I don't hold out much hope for the issue being resolved.

Replacing the pads is the only way to resolve the issue with ones with less metal content - That is what Lexus do with the TSB on the RC F.

• Like 1

am not pulling the other one .... its called Be determined and not give up and not go away why my case was fundamentally different to many other cases was  I started complaining regarding the car a few days after purchasing it brand new

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:51 AM, zingman said:

am not pulling the other one .... its called Be determined and not give up and not go away why my case was fundamentally different to many other cases was  I started complaining regarding the car a few days after purchasing it brand new

Not being cynical (well maybe), but I would imagine the fact you're Company buys around 35 cars a year from Lexus helped matters........ :wink1:

Can't see them giving £15K compensation to an individual customer personally....

Kudos to you though, clearly perseverance paid off. :thumbup1:

• Like 2

look was not down to my company  it was down to we are still in Europe and Motor manufacturers after falling European complaints process regarding motor manufacturer, Lexus UK had my GSF 4 to 6 months to achieve my compensation and getting new GSF was not easy I had to go to the top of Lexus Europe to get this sorted Lexus UK assured me tthat my  old Lexus would not go back on the market but the guy who started this about his bikes is now the owner of that car I deeply feel sorry for him AS the  squeaky brakes drive me mad look further up on this post use a link to a video regarding  the squeaky brakes

Thing is, high performance brakes do tend to occasionally squeak/squeal, it’s down to the pad compound and there’s not very much you can do about it apart from changing that compound, or using ever-increasing amounts of copper grease on the backs of the pads. 

I know Lexus don’t really go for them, but many other manufacturers with 500bhp, 170+mph cars weighing nearly 2 tons, (possibly more with passengers) are offering carbon brakes, probably with good reason. 

A good stamp on the brakes tends to stop the noise coming from mine, but it’ll return within a few days. Thing is, the brakes are so big, they never really get properly used! 

• Like 1

Just now, mrfunex said:

Thing is, high performance brakes do tend to occasionally squeak/squeal, it’s down to the pad compound and there’s not very much you can do about it apart from changing that compound, or using ever-increasing amounts of copper grease on the backs of the pads. 

I know Lexus don’t really go for them, but many other manufacturers with 500bhp, 170+mph cars weighing nearly 2 tons, (possibly more with passengers) are offering carbon brakes, probably with good reason. 

A good stamp on the brakes tends to stop the noise coming from mine, but it’ll return within a few days. Thing is, the brakes are so big, they never really get properly used! 

Have you driven a car with carbon brakes though?

They aren't exactly great at low speed, feel unusual. TBF Porsche ones are pretty good but the ones coming out of nearly other manufacturer seem to be crap in town. 

• Like 1

When I upped the spec of my 996 turbo to gt2 power and torque I had PCB fitted, as they came with the turbos intercoolers and so on from a friend.

They we’re pretty impressive on the 2 track days I did with the car but for road use a bit OTT even for fast road stuff,and a Little  unresponsive  when cold.

But at just under £20k to replace which was 75% the value of the car it was a no brainier to swap them out with the steels and pop them back in the boxes for the next owner 😊

Big Rat

• Like 1

I’ve never driven a carbon-braked car. My old 996 911 turbo was the last year they still all had steel brakes - my model was the run-out ‘turbo X50’ which the year after became the ‘turbo S’. 

Maybe I should add a car with carbon brakes to my ‘must drive’ list! 

• Like 1

Mine came standard with the steels which were adequate, but so they should have been the car only weighed 1400kg, must admit though they are an all year round weapon.......:lol1:

🐀

On 7/27/2018 at 11:47 AM, Mark G said:

It is a common problem, even when you have used them extremely hard, the squeak will return within a couple of days.

And if you do use GS-F brakes properly, they catch fire! Damned if you do..... damned if you don't 😉