Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyres, recommendations sought :-)

Hi all,

I will shortly need to replace the tyres on my 2004 model LS430 in size 245/45R18.
I am looking for recommendations especially w.r.t. tyre noise.

It currently has Dunlop Sport Maxx GTs fitted and they grip and wear fine but seem a bit noisy to me
Perhaps it's just that the rest of the car is so quiet or that they are nearly worn out (about 4mm tread left), but does anybody know of quieter tyres?

Currently looking at the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3.

Cheers,
George

16 minutes ago, Malc said:

I hate the Pirellis on my Honda Legend ...........  steer clear of those I reckon 

Malc

Best I found for my 2 Legends were the Avon ZZ5s.

Quiet, grip well, and last reasonably if you rotate them front to rear.

I would have a look at Nexen range, good wear, noise no worse than more expensive brands (from new I recall they were quiter  than any others I had before).  Not as grippy as Pirellis, or Dunlop in the wet, so be not good for pushing the envelope on a rainy track day, but good enough for nippy commute on Cotswold A roads with Z bends.

I have found Nexen give good mileage, and as a result they last longer, and so the walls harden (as do all tyres) and this increases road noise as they get older, as well as noise due to lesser tread. 

Mine are Nexen N Blue, but not sure if they do them in your size.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BigBoomer said:

Avon ZZ5s.

just checked these out and they seem to have very many variants on the size i might need    235/50/17

which variant do you remember having ?

Thanks

Malc

13 minutes ago, Malc said:

just checked these out and they seem to have very many variants on the size i might need    235/50/17

which variant do you remember having ?

Mine were on 98 Legends so were 215/55R16.

If you travel or are planning to travel to Europe in what might be considered winter months you need to get tyres that are 'winter'rated & also carry snow chains, reason being they are mandatory in some places in  Europe, Michelin all weather are winter rated and can equally be used in summer, maybe others have developed all weather tyres which pass the winter rating criteria by now. I think the RAC site gives each European country laws for that on it. To add to that, if your stopped in some or all of those countries they will either take your car away to pound until you get winter rated tyres on, they will not let you drive off on illegal tyres.

• Like 1

Thanks, am aware of German/Austrian laws on winter tyres.

Not planning on driving there in the winter.

Winter tyres tend to be noisier due to larger grooves and have a softer compound so don't last as long.

I used to have bridgestones on mine which were noisy - I then changed to Dunlop which were not better - I have now Avon ZZ5 fitted which im very happy with.

See the original tread here:

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/109524-tyre-recommendation-ls430/

• Like 1

Thanks Mark, I loved the ZZ5s on my Legends so will give them a try on the LS. I also have harshness over bumps and catseyes so the fact that the ZZ5 eases that is a bonus.

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...

on mine just replaced with Maxxis All Seasons 225/60/16.  The fronts prior to my Irish adventure and the rears as I returned on 214k miles

They seem to have good grip and handling and at £96 a corner " all-up " are ok for me

They replaced ordinary Maxxis which lasted just 30k miles

Seemingly a bit challenging to find now though, maybe a bit like the Falkens that went out of production a while ago

Malc

Have just had Maxxis Premitra fitted to front (Still got Nexen on rear - due to be replaced after Xmas).

Had them done for £170 fitted. Thrupp Tyres near Stroud always seem to get tyres for a good price.

Noise, they seem to be on par with Falken spares for a week, though they appear to have a softer sidewall, so though grip is good, it does seem like you roll a little more on hard corners.  They are summer tyres, but in wet seem fine, and never found the LS any good in the snow (just drive like a granny when it does).  I would add a very mild amount of tramlining which I never got with Falkens or Nexen, or maybe it is just me getting used to slightly different straight line behaviour.  Rolling resistance seems okay, still find myself creeping up on car in front when foot off the gas.

Only been on for 200 miles, so way to early to say about wear, but I got 28K out of Nexen Blue, though the front wore through the edges (to the cord)  even though I had 3mm left in center (care has been fully aligned twice in last 3 years).

Does seem  to be harder to get 225/60/16 and do always need to remind tyre depot not to fir weights where their marvelous computer says, as it always rubs the caliper.

The Maxxis All Seasons tread pattern is amazingly different to the earlier Maxxis i had on the car  ...  I'll still not take her out in the snow and ice though, she has a mind of her own in those circumstances.

Malc