Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A small miscellany of Lexus.

Have just finished a week`s holiday in the Highlands.

Drove from Wirral to Stirling via M6,A74(M), then via A 9 to Cromarty on the Black Isle.

From Cromarty across to Ullapool, then up the West Coast to Elphin on part of the North West 500 and down to Dornoch and back to Cromarty.

Then to Inverness, Nairn, (where I purchased two bottles of Benromach Malt from the Distillary.Then on to Grantown on Spey, Inverness and back to Cromarty.

Then to Castle Cawdor of Macbeth fame and back to Cromarty

And returned home to Wirral via Stirling and A74(M) and M6.

A total of 1600 miles, all without problems with the GS450h and an average of 35mpg.

Saw a myriad of Audi`s, BMW`s, Merc`s, Range Rovers, Kias and two Tesla(S) on the road. Oh and a Red Dutch Reg Ford Capri.

Saw a single CT, one IS250 one IS 300H, one GS300 and  one NX.

There were also 2 Black RX450h`s North of Inverness (both 18 Reg ) and one Silver 04 Reg LS430 which followed me from Inverness onto the Black Isle and left me at Ovach. I saw it again in Cromarty later in the day. A total of 8 Lexus vehicles in 8 days motoring

A dearth, paucity,scarcity,almost absence of Lexus. So what does all of that mean?

It must be the best kept secret in motoring?

Continue to enjoy what others do not have.

• Like 2

Nice post John.  Very few Lexus in SW Wales, seen a few IS220Ds and an RX parked next to me in the Coop car park once 👀.  Why do BMW and Audi owners drive as if they've stolen the car ?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Continue to enjoy what others do not have

Amen.

And we had a bit similar lap like a month ago (some photos and map here). But I am too lazy to count brands/models and I am not sure if I have seen any lexus. What I counted is how many people overtook me and it was one 😁, audi R8 V10 between Nairn and Grantown

5 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

Why do BMW and Audi owners drive as if they've stolen the car ?

They don't look like this in my mirrors 😎

A bit more seriously: IMHO major point is different - if I try to buy audi S6 quattro auto more-less equal to my GS430, with same peanut money, and try to lap the Highlands in first weeks before any real service, I will be back home (Glasgow area) on the lorry. Only question is how long haul will be, from Duke's Pass, Glencoe or Skye. I think Duke's Pass is a sensible bet. (Did I mention once upon a time I have mechanicaly broken down near new Boxter S at Duke's Pass, and not even in sport+ mode? True story, bros, about quality of oversofisticated VAG's products too).

Very few down here, although there is a current generation GS300h that I see around Malmesbury, and I was followed yesterday by an Italian registered NX. Naturally, since I've had my Mesa red NX somebody in a nearby village has got one exactly the same - including the side-steps(!) - have seen it around a few times.

I do see quite a few in Bristol, especially CTs. Hardly ever see an RX - when I've had them as courtesy cars they've really stood out as unusual.

9 hours ago, steveledzep said:

Nice post John.  Very few Lexus in SW Wales, seen a few IS220Ds and an RX parked next to me in the Coop car park once 👀.  Why do BMW and Audi owners drive as if they've stolen the car ?

^^ I'm just going to leave this here re: Audi drivers...😋

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/audi-yet-again-voted-top-car-by-dentists-and-serial-killers-20180323146311

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I live in Melksham, Wiltshire i have only ever seen one GS300 (mk3)  locally the same as mine in the last 12 months but there is a nice 04 LS430 which i have seen parked in town a few times. I get sick of seeing BMW and Audi's everybody seems to be driving them these days thinking they have bought a reliable car! In the latest JD power survey both BMW and Audi were in the bottom 3 for reliability along with Fiat! http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2018-uk-vehicle-dependability-study 

• Like 2

Wow John impressive observations. Ever thought about joining the policeforce?

I think what it proves is that Lexus sales in the UK ( and Europe as well) are neglectable. It really is an exclusive brand!

11 hours ago, steveledzep said:

Glad you enjoyed it Steve.

Because their indicators have stopped working and they are trying to reach their destinations before other electrical faults develop?

Incidentally, I have noticed that drivers of the modern Merc A classes show similar tendencies!

The number of vehicles driving in poor visibility conditions on the M6 yesterday afternoon beggars belief. Do people not digest The Highway Code?

10 hours ago, Ben01 said:

Amen.

And we had a bit similar lap like a month ago (some photos and map here). But I am too lazy to count brands/models and I am not sure if I have seen any lexus. What I counted is how many people overtook me and it was one 😁, audi R8 V10 between Nairn and Grantown

They don't look like this in my mirrors 😎

A bit more seriously: IMHO major point is different - if I try to buy audi S6 quattro auto more-less equal to my GS430, with same peanut money, and try to lap the Highlands in first weeks before any real service, I will be back home (Glasgow area) on the lorry. Only question is how long haul will be, from Duke's Pass, Glencoe or Skye. I think Duke's Pass is a sensible bet. (Did I mention once upon a time I have mechanicaly broken down near new Boxter S at Duke's Pass, and not even in sport+ mode? True story, bros, about quality of oversofisticated VAG's products too).

Great trip and great pics Ben.

Gosh, route between G.O.S. and Nairn was really busy then !!

8 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Wow John impressive observations. Ever thought about joining the policeforce?

I think what it proves is that Lexus sales in the UK ( and Europe as well) are neglectable. It really is an exclusive brand!

Yes Dutchie,but I keep failing the height test. 

Incidentally we spent the week in Cromarty sharing the excellent accommodation with a German family whose son was in the German Police and who was a foot taller than I am. I brought him down a peg or two though when he started bragging about his.......................................Honda Jazz!

Only kidding as he was pleasure to talk motoring with.

16 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Yes Dutchie,but I keep failing the height test. 

Incidentally we spent the week in Cromarty sharing the excellent accommodation with a German family whose son was in the German Police and who was a foot taller than I am. I brought him down a peg or two though when he started bragging about his.......................................Honda Jazz!

Only kidding as he was pleasure to talk motoring with.

i had a Honda Jazz Hybrid as a loaner for 2 wks 3 yrs ago and thought it was a fantastic car! practicle and due to the hybrid system very fast off the line as the car weighs next to nothing.

but bragging about it? Maybe German Humour??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Gosh, route between G.O.S. and Nairn was really busy then !!

Aye. But it was beautiful Friday evening, when all locals were drank at local pubs, and all porsche guys were drank at the local hotels pubs, so no worries. Sort-of empty lovely road and only we, this R8, and a lot of noise. I mean, a lot.

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Because their indicators have stopped working

Old anecdote from a less civilized times and countries: BMW 5 series crappy-M-fake-edition cruising thru the city with windows wide open, some music, cold elbow and not using indicators at all. Very big black SUV is crawling behind beema. After a few corners (still no indicators) both stay at the traffic lights. Suddenly the gigantic bloke moves out of SUV, full equipped (chainz, face tatoos, etc), walks to beema to driver's window, put the arm sized of my leg inside, crush and tears off indicator lever effortlessly, drops it on laps of speachless driver and says in deepest voice in the city "You definitely don't need this, do ya?" and back to SUV.

4 minutes ago, Ben01 said:

Aye. But it was beautiful Friday evening, when all locals were drank at local pubs, and all porsche guys were drank at the local hotels pubs, so no worries. Sort-of empty lovely road and only we, this R8, and a lot of noise. I mean, a lot.

Old anecdote from a less civilized times and countries: BMW 5 series crappy-M-fake-edition cruising thru the city with windows wide open, some music, cold elbow and not using indicators at all. Very big black SUV is crawling behind beema. After a few corners (still no indicators) both stay at the traffic lights. Suddenly the gigantic bloke moves out of SUV, full equipped (chainz, face tatoos, etc), walks to beema to driver's window, put the arm sized of my leg inside, crush and tears off indicator lever effortlessly, drops it on laps of speachless driver and says in deepest voice in the city "You definitely don't need this, do ya?" and back to SUV.

Nice anecdote Ben. I would not enjoy dining with an Audi or BMW owner. If road manners are so bad, what must their personal habits be like?

11 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

If road manners are so bad, what must their personal habits be like?

In my humble and a more serious opinion, they are average people, only a lot of them try compensating a lot of their mediocre problems and mediocre lifes with Mighty German Quality Expensive Cars. Nothing new.

BTW anectode above, I did not meet too many real bad boys in the flesh, but it was funny how they have NOT to prove everybody and anybody their superb cars. They were big, bad and ugly or sometimes small, handsome and dangerous as hell, they loved money and loved to spend it on fast powerful cars, more-less bling, more-less typical (like - once I met a bad guy with a non-standard vision of his audi S8, she was custom powered to absurd level, WHITE with white interior, and washed literaly every day, he said his car has to be not only powerful, but "pure and clean". And I worried to ask how dirty and un-pure is his daily occupation in this case). The realy bad boys don't think much about common people as competition or rivals, on the road too, they have a different hierarchies, rivals and problems. And they don't care, they even emphaticaly appreciated other peoples nice and powerful cars (Sub anecdote, true one - once I stopped on lights on turn, in blue camaro, t-top off, nice summer, and on cross road I've seen beema 7 series, black car, with definitely illegal black all glass. And suddenly both side windows of beema on my side moved down and from inside moved, no, erected out two biggest arms I have ever seen, with all golden accesory, tribals, etc, and they both give me thumbs up... I have not seen their faces, I sticked out my little thumb too and nervously have driven home. But it was not beginning of John Wick's story, they simple enjoyed my car too).

But after gangsta perception from '90 next every dumb boy full of complexes tried to be "I am bad man in great car, almost like Transporter or Ronin". Or sometimes "in my audi A4 TDI I am like CEO in his audi". Not really. And now a lot of them grown up, but not in their mindset.

• Like 1

Delighted to hear of your enjoyable trip round this part of the Highlands. We Lexus owners are a wee bit thin on the ground and so I was pleased to see a well presented GS450 in Morrisons car park in Inverness. Perhaps mine was the GS300 you came across in your travels. A small point - I think the distillery you mention is as you come into Forres - a few miles further on than Nairn. Anyway - Haste ye back and enjoy the product. Slainthe!  

23 minutes ago, ronniemac said:

Delighted to hear of your enjoyable trip round this part of the Highlands. We Lexus owners are a wee bit thin on the ground and so I was pleased to see a well presented GS450 in Morrisons car park in Inverness. Perhaps mine was the GS300 you came across in your travels. A small point - I think the distillery you mention is as you come into Forres - a few miles further on than Nairn. Anyway - Haste ye back and enjoy the product. Slainthe!  

Thank you for your kind words Ronnie.

T`was not me in Morrisons as I only circumnavigated Inverness on my travels. I filled up first just North of Stirling, then at an Esso station just after Nairn coming back towards the Airport and at Tesco on the Retail Park just on the road to Aberdeen on my way home.

You are correct as it was at the Benromac Distilllery in Forres where I purchased my two bottles of liquid gold.

We really enjoyed our stay in Cromarty and surrounding areas and Mrs Roy wants to go back for a third visit in a couple of years time........when I imagine, nothing much will have changed!!