Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Roof bars on a 2018 RX450h ?

Hi,

I'm trading my 2012 RX450h in for a new 2018 RX450h and have a question about fitting roof bars. I need to be able to fit a roof mounted bike rack but my dealer tells me this is not compatible with a pan roof although they are not sure why. All models seem to have the rails fitted. Is it just that you can't open the pan roof with the roof bars attached to the rails or is there something more fundamental? Does anyone know? If its just that you can't open the roof then I am happy with that and will get the pan roof.

I would be fitting a Thule bike rack rather than the lexus one...

Thanks

On 7/29/2018 at 6:38 PM, lfoggy said:

Hi,

I'm trading my 2012 RX450h in for a new 2018 RX450h and have a question about fitting roof bars. I need to be able to fit a roof mounted bike rack but my dealer tells me this is not compatible with a pan roof although they are not sure why. All models seem to have the rails fitted. Is it just that you can't open the pan roof with the roof bars attached to the rails or is there something more fundamental? Does anyone know? If its just that you can't open the roof then I am happy with that and will get the pan roof.

I would be fitting a Thule bike rack rather than the lexus one...

Thanks

Its just that you cant open the pan roof as it'll hit the rack. 

There's no differences in terms of attachments

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, granadaman said:

Are your old rails or rack for sale off your existing 2012

Yes, they will be available in a week or two when I get the new car. I've got two Thule aero crossbars with fittings to attach to the existing roofrails. £25 to anyone who can collect them. They are in decent condition as I remove them and store in the garage when not in use.

I had this dilema when I bought my 2015 RX FSport and ended up not buying the one with the pano roof as Lexus would not fit bars as not advised compatible. The Lexus bars are not ideally suited as is as the locating holes on the inside of the rails are missing on the car with pano roof. As Rayaans rightly says the real issue is opening the roof when the bars are fitted is a big no no.

I believe Thule do bars that will fit with no need for the locating holes and it is actually possible to remove the pins from the Lexus bars, which I have but have not fitted yet in over a year. If you need bike carriers the Whispbar ones are very good

Thanks Chris

The Thule website says that their roof bars will fit the RX with a pan roof but warn that the bars will obstruct opening the glass panel. I've ordered the bars from Thule and they don't require the holes in the roof rails so I am hoping they will fit OK. I will find out when my new RX with pan roof arrives next week !

• 2 years later...
On 8/6/2018 at 9:14 PM, lfoggy said:

Thanks Chris

The Thule website says that their roof bars will fit the RX with a pan roof but warn that the bars will obstruct opening the glass panel. I've ordered the bars from Thule and they don't require the holes in the roof rails so I am hoping they will fit OK. I will find out when my new RX with pan roof arrives next week !

looking to get some roof bars for my rx450h 2018 model other than thule what bars are compatible? Thanks

On 8/6/2018 at 9:14 PM, lfoggy said:

Thanks Chris

Hi Lukas, Please let us know how you get on as I have been told on several occasions that under no circumstances should any sort of roof bars be fitted to an RX with a pan roof. Obviously should the roof be opened it will damage the opening part of the roof. I have been told that there is a possibility that the stress of putting anything on the roof bars could shatter the pan roof. I assume this refers to the fixed bit behind the opening section. 

As a matter of interest what do you intend to carry on the roof? All I was going to put up there were two lightweight aluminium bikes.

Bri

1 hour ago, Brian26 said:

Hi Lukas, Please let us know how you get on as I have been told on several occasions that under no circumstances should any sort of roof bars be fitted to an RX with a pan roof. Obviously should the roof be opened it will damage the opening part of the roof. I have been told that there is a possibility that the stress of putting anything on the roof bars could shatter the pan roof. I assume this refers to the fixed bit behind the opening section. 

As a matter of interest what do you intend to carry on the roof? All I was going to put up there were two lightweight aluminium bikes.

Bri

I have the Thule roof bars fitted with four Thule cycle racks and have driven thousands of miles with four bicycles on the roof with no problem whatsoever. This has included driving down to the French and Italian Alps on the motorway several times. I put some red tape over the pan roof opening button to prevent accidental opening. Bikes weigh around 7Kg each so weight is 28Kg plus weight of the rack which I am guessing is around 25Kg. I often remove the Thule rack completely (which is very easy to do) and then can use the pan roof. Works for me.

Incidentally, I was thinking of trading in for a Tesla Model X but those crazy doors completely prevent a roor rack being fitted so not really possible to carry four bikes. Deal breaker.

3 hours ago, Barry Jones said:

looking to get some roof bars for my rx450h 2018 model other than thule what bars are compatible? Thanks

The roofrails are a fairly standard design that is used on many cars and most roof bar manufactureres will make a fitment I should think.

• Like 1

I have a 2019 RX450h with a panaromic roof. I've successfully fitted Whispbars and a large roofbox with no issues. I take the fuse out for the sunroof to stop any chance of someone trying to opening with the roof bars fitted. You need to be more careful when fitting the bars that you don't hit the glass roof!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

Just to revisit this topic, does anyone have any new thoughts or experiences on fitting Thule bars and box to an RX450 with Panoramic Roof? 

Has anyone heard any horror stories of glass breaking as a result?

Thanks,

MB

I've had  a Thule system fitted to my 2018Rx with pan roof. I carry bicycles on it so never more than 30kg. Fits fine. Have done many thousands of miles with no issues. I remember not to open the roof as I think the glass would bump into the bars. Lexus say that the pan roof weakens the roof so I would not carry heavy loads though.

I've fitted Whispar bars with my panaromic roof and fitted a very large roof box with no problems. I remove the fuse for the sunroof to ensure that it doesn't make contact. You need to be very carful fitting the bars and box that you don't hit the glass.

• 4 months later...

Hi, New to this forum ( any forum) but having debate with myself about fitting roof bars to an RX450 with pan roof.

I would prefer to remove the roof fuse if I could find it, anyone know which fuse box it's in?

The roof box company seem to have a range  of bars and seem to like Yakima which are 135cm long but out of stock.  They have now listed Atera RTD (122cm)  a brand which I have been pleased with before and at £150 seem like a good bet if only I can disconnect the roof.  Any advice would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nigel,

I believe you have removed the fuse for the panoramic roof and i hoped you could tell me where it is located.  I thought I had found it under the bonnet but it was the fuse for the roof blind only, that would have been too easy!

Thanks in anticipation.

Brian

On 8/12/2021 at 12:04 PM, BJT said:

Hi Nigel,

I believe you have removed the fuse for the panoramic roof and i hoped you could tell me where it is located.  I thought I had found it under the bonnet but it was the fuse for the roof blind only, that would have been too easy!

Thanks in anticipation.

Brian

If my memory serves me correctly...

Look under the passenger glove compartment there is fuse box, and it's cleared marked a S/Roof. 

Or you could do as I did on my journey a couple of weeks ago, just put some electrical tape over the moon roof button to remind you not to press it.

Thanks Nigel,

I had a look there, passenger side, and found no fuse labelled S/Roof, none rated at 20 0r 30A which is strange and the one under the bonnet only controls the blind !  I am somewhat frustrated to say the least and the tape trick would be the easy fix except for the fact that I have a daughter who cannot resist picking at things and pushing (my) buttons.