Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Holiday romance with a VW Caravelle / Beach

Down in Sennen Cove again cruising the back roads in the LS and it really is a wonderful machine to be in on holiday.  Tonight in St Just I saw turning towards a camp site, a blue 03 430 with a roof box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Much to family's disquiet I shouted out in amazement, not only to see another LS but the first all holiday and with a rack.  I should have followed the car but then that could seem a bit extreme.

Anyone on here?  What is this rack?  Perhaps if I knew and if I could fit a tow bar then it may stop me getting into a Caravelle.  Over priced for sure but they seem to hold their value rather well.  Also I wont have to fit 3 bikes on the saris bones and a bike in the boot.  Plus sand and LS just don't work for me.  My kids though seem to grow increasingly outdoors inclined and I love the lifestyle.  I know though what i would miss, so tis indeed a holiday romance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, nickd said:

Down in Sennen Cove again cruising the back roads in the LS and it really is a wonderful machine to be in on holiday.  Tonight in St Just I saw turning towards a camp site, a blue 03 430 with a roof box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Much to family's disquiet I shouted out in amazement, not only to see another LS but the first all holiday and with a rack.  I should have followed the car but then that could seem a bit extreme.

Anyone on here?  What is this rack?  Perhaps if I knew and if I could fit a tow bar then it may stop me getting into a Caravelle.  Over priced for sure but they seem to hold their value rather well.  Also I wont have to fit 3 bikes on the saris bones and a bike in the boot.  Plus sand and LS just don't work for me.  My kids though seem to grow increasingly outdoors inclined and I love the lifestyle.  I know though what i would miss, so tis indeed a holiday romance.

I have been trying to organise a few days myself down in Mousehole and every time I think I have sorted some spare time something comes along to stop it. I'm determined to do it before late summer.

Glad you had a nice time.

• Like 1

Nick,

You post got me roaming the Interweb, as I need roof rack about once or twice a year, but not for a roof box.

Came across these (not seen them before),  Soft bars.  Some sites imply you can but a box on these (not sure how). eBay price - Soft rack on fleabay

Also I use Saris bones, and much prefer bikes in rear of car.  I know it makes getting in the boot a faff, but in past when I have carried bikes on roof, the wind noise is higher, and fuel consumption higher than carrying on the rear. Plus in my head I always worry that putting the bike on the roof I will drop the darned thing and make a big dent, not that I ever did when I used roof bars, but that was 15 years ago, when I had muscles in my arms (and light road bikes, rather than mountain bikes)!

Seem like LS roof bars (good old solid ones) are almost as rare as hens teeth.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bluesman said:

I have been trying to organise a few days myself down in Mousehole and every time I think I have sorted some spare time something comes along to stop it. I'm determined to do it before late summer.

Glad you had a nice time.

Me too. We've finally got around to paying a deposit. I may bump into you Mike if you're there in September as we'll only be a few miles away and we're sure to drop in at Mousehole, a great place to chill!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nickd said:

Have you taking it down the road to Porthgwarra? There's a challenge!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Me too. We've finally got around to paying a deposit. I may bump into you Mike if you're there in September as we'll only be a few miles away and we're sure to drop in at Mousehole, a great place to chill!

What week are you going to be down there if you go?

17 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Have you taking it down the road to Porthgwarra? There's a challenge!

I have a few times, but more on my bike.  Sit on on one the two benches with a coffee from the little cafe.  This week I met a bus going as I was driving to Treen.  Bin lorry behind me and with the build up of cars it took quite a while for everyone to reverse.......

• Like 1

I saw the Lexus again going down the hill into Sennen Cove as I was staggering up after a few pints in the Old Success.  It was a Thule rack.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nickd said:

I saw the Lexus again going down the hill into Sennen Cove as I was staggering up after a few pints in the Old Success.  It was a Thule rack.

I think I may have mentioned I saw an LS430 going down the hill to Sennen a couple of years ago as we were staggering up the same hill after libations at the same pub! I drove my GS to London yesterday and thought I was doing ok until I found myself behind a silver 430 causing me to go all wistful again!

I was wondering about this one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-Lexus-LS-430-4-3-4dr/253783738516?hash=item3b16b08894:g:asYAAOSwgYBbXaSV

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

I think I may have mentioned I saw an LS430 going down the hill to Sennen a couple of years ago as we were staggering up the same hill after libations at the same pub! I drove my GS to London yesterday and thought I was doing ok until I found myself behind a silver 430 causing me to go all wistful again!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-Lexus-LS-430-4-3-4dr/253783738516?hash=item3b16b08894:g:asYAAOSwgYBbXaSV

Tried to check the MOT record but the number shown isn't recognised. Might be innocent might have had a private plate taken off.

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

One owner

Full Lexus Service History

Statutory Warranty covers six months from purchase

Possibly obtained for £4500 ?

What`s not to like?

Worth a view at least?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bluesman said:

Tried to check the MOT record but the number shown isn't recognised. Might be innocent might have had a private plate taken off.

It's frustrating the way that happens.  I think I'll phone today for more info.

Not going down that far but going to Beer in Devon next week for a rare outing in the 460.

The Mem Sahib will probably sit in the back with the front seat passenger seat folded and pushed forward, the Sun shades up, and reclined in the seat. The good news is She won't ask "are we there yet" as I can lower the rear screen and have the satnav on for her.

looking forward to another outing in this most sumptuous limousine.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2018 at 8:08 PM, Bluesman said:

The old reg is X777 NJB, very good history, just difficult getting up to Bedfordshire.  

Making me miss cornwall with all this name dropping of places,we often stay at Praa sands and often go to sennen and have had a few in the old success also.We often do the walk over to the Minnack theatre from sennen which is a great place to visit.Also has the beautiful Porthcurno beach.

Beer is also a great place to visit but Salcombe has always been our favourite in Devon.

2 hours ago, Eame64 said:

Making me miss cornwall with all this name dropping of places,we often stay at Praa sands and often go to sennen and have had a few in the old success also.We often do the walk over to the Minnack theatre from sennen which is a great place to visit.Also has the beautiful Porthcurno beach.

Beer is also a great place to visit but Salcombe has always been our favourite in Devon.

We saw a play at the Minnack a couple of years ago, perfect weather in a perfect setting.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links