Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driving into the EU.. need some clarification not easy to find definitive answers online

Hi guys.

Short Intro:

I'm Canadian and I live in Ukraine. New to Lexus, new to this size of car, previous cars Acura TL, Mazda 3, Infiniti G35X.

Question:

I will be driving into the EU and will be doing so rather frequently. I was told that foreign cars with modifications that do not comply with EU standards would not be allowed in, is this true? i.e front window tints, I was told that if my tints are too dark, I would not be allowed in or the police might stop me etc.

Is windshield tint/polarized film legal in the EU?

THANKS !

For what I know, dark windows are allowed only in rear seats, but I don't know if this applies also for extra UE vehicles.

For sure, you risk to be stopped by police often. Another forbidden mod is about lights, no blue ones and leds if not original.

• Like 1

I imagine they would allow entry as it's not a customs issue. However, you will definitely have to abide by the motoring laws of the countries you visit. These vary and are not necessarily EU wide but country specific. I guess you'll have to check the laws re tinting of each country you plan to visit and check if yours are legal or you may indeed get stopped and fined. Some countries have on the spot fines

• Like 1

Briefly: drive in or transit has not much with detailed EU rules and laws, until you not import the car into EU. For international transit across Europe most important set of rules is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Convention_on_Road_Traffic

Please read with care article (or Convention itself). And I may suggest print couple of most important original parts about "the vehicle must meet all technical requirements to be legal for road use in the country of registration", the vehicle has to be equipped for country of registration only etc. in English and French, and keep it in you car on the road.

That was theory. In practice, it is depending of the mood of policemen, acctual rules invented by their managers and politicians, and if you have a strenght and THE WILL to discuss with police and beyond, like with diplomatic consule on your phone try to explain angry police force to [censored] off of your car. Last 20yrs was a lot of "road wars" in all Europe, all "borders". Polish police could try to check if you have certified fire extinguisher and a triangle, German if you have certified medpack and hi-viz vests for all passengers, and most "funny": snow tyres in the winter, French if you have certified alco-test, and so forth. And every of them could try to ticket you, because why not and they know you have not time nor will to spend half a night to discuss with them and consul.

I don't say every policeman is fraudster lookin for you money, and every chief of police or politicians set-up local "rules for forigners cars" from the top of hat is idiot, but be prepared.

And travelling with "stranger" licence plates in ridiculous car, loud, tinted like batmobil, with crazy aftermarket lamps, etc etc provoke any road police very easy. Low profile and blend into the crowd are much better bet. And you are a bit handicapped at the very beginning with Ukrainian licence plates, sorry.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I was in Budapest this past weekend (I shall not get into detail about how much I dislike that pseudo western country) but when I drove in I just rolled down all my windows at customs to avoid any issues and when I drove there I just DGAF and no one ever stopped me LOL so good news there. I will post updates for shixx and giggles when I go through other parts of the EU.

• 2 weeks later...

To my knowledge you should not have any issue: the only thing that matters is that the vehicle is compliant with the laws and regulations of the country it is registered in.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

On 7/30/2018 at 5:15 PM, jdanielca said:

I was told that if my tints are too dark, I would not be allowed in or the police might stop me etc.

Is windshield tint/polarized film legal in the EU?

Yes, it is legal and no, they won't stop you from entering the country. However, using the UK as an example, the police will stop you and inspect the car if they think that the front windows are tinted so dark that they let in less than 70% light.

I'm not sure if all police cars carry them but certainly traffic cars and the 'Interceptors' carry light meters to accurately measure the amount of light being let through by the tints and if it's less than 70% they could give you a ticket.