Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New to me, 2007 IS220d

Jongs

Hello everyone my name is John and I live in south Devon.

Last month I acquired my first Japanese car in the form of a 2007 IS220d.

I was forced to buy a car because I lost my job and company vehicle due to ill health. I have been a ford and vw man all of my life but have decided to go for something completely new to me.

Enter the lexus...the kids love it, my partner loves it and so do I. I know it's not the best engine in the world but I do enjoy a challenge.

I will be slowly making it perfect over my recovery time so will be looking for some advice in the near future.

John

• Like 1

Welcome John. Sorry to hear about your situation and best wishes for a swift recovery. 

Good luck with the IS220, keep us posted with progress - don't forget the pictures though

• Thanks 1

Hi Jongs and welcome to the forum. It's a friendly place and ask any questions. I too have an is220d, had a few issues but it's a 10year old car but I love it. Mine just passed its mot again with no advisories so very happy.

what trim level did you get? Mine an se-l plenty of bells and whistles, lovely comfy car to be in and drive. Next Lexus for me will be either another is but petrol or a gs if finances allow.

be warned, once you get the Lexus bug it's hard to shake. I won't get any other ar. Hope you have a speedy recovery

• Thanks 1

Hi John,

Hope you get well soon and the Lexus does you proud.

I bought a 2006 IS 220d too. off eBay for £1,475 and over 4 months and 2,400 miles no issues. Mine has now done 177,000 miles but 4 year Lexus and rest independent history. Last Tuesday went straight through MOT and no advisories. Emissions 0.17 allowed 1.5.

Installed a new Nissens AC condenser and now have working AC. Mine is the basic  model. Performed fantastic on my weeks holiday of 762 miles in 28+ degree heat on the Isle Of Wight. The more you drive it you soon get used to the gearing. Main thing give it a good run and avoid short journeys and 6th gear.

James:wink3:

• Thanks 1

Wow, thank you for such a warm welcome. Iam so new to lexus I couldn't tell you what trim level mine would be but it has sat nav, mark Levinson audio, A/C, cruise control, 16' wheels and power folding mirrors also has cream interior with manual seats.

This car has nearly 180000miles on it but after an Italian tune up to blow the cobwebs away it runs very well, unfortunately no service book or history so I am starting from scratch. 

Faults with the car currently is fuel gauge only reading half a tank when full and the handbrake is weak. 

Fuel economy does seem a little low but I am hoping to raise that with a full service and perhaps a remap aimed towards economy rather than power.

The stereo didn't work when I got the car so after opening up the amp and finding a fried mess I bought a replacement from eBay. It sounds amazing now and definitely worth the money.

Replaced rear tyres and rear brake pads only to find the handbrake is inside the disc so to help the handbrake out I will need a set of rear discs.

I have ordered a genuine lexus full service kit for £60 on eBay

Along with some custom fit carshades, the technicians manual for the car and a Bluetooth receiver for the Aux side of the stereo.

I do enjoy finding out about a new car and the lexus is full of tricks to keep me occupied for a long time. My aim for this car is to keep it looking stock....except for some hub centric spacers perhaps.

IMG_20180731_011813.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jongs, very tidy looking is. Wish I had the ml stereo lol. Looks like you have the multimedia pack, ml stereo, sat nav screen etc.

You have an 07 plate like me. Only issue I have is that every few weeks the EML-VSC-TRC lights come on. Don't be alarmed if you get them. They go away after three or four restarts of the engine.

I think it's an emmisions warning linked to the dpf filter. Try to get on the motorway a lot or a roads with 60 limit for over 20min to keep the dpf happy.

Saying that mine has never gone into limp mode, just the annoying lights lol. Apart from that only other issue I had was the aux belt snapping but it was over 10yrs old

As for fuel I currently get 25 mpg but I do mainly local runs under 12 miles to work hence why I'm looking at a petrol is next. But at the time needed a car and couldn't resist an is. 

I think the 5th injector is keeping the dpf nice and clean as I think I have an issue with the wiring (fingers crossed). Just reviving an old ASUS eeepc xp netbook that was gathering dust that is going to become my techstream computer and hopefully that will identify what's going on, looking at the lexus service history it has had a replacement 5th injector so hopefully a simple wiring fix is all that's needed.

I needed a car after losing my job and the just couldn't resist the IS either, I love finding about and fixing cars I have never worked on. 

My operation is on Monday so trying to get as much done before then.....expect alot of posts come the end of next week.....and for the following 3 months atleast 😃 never thought I would ever want to be cut open so badly haha

My mpg is floating around 36 with the wife in the car....it goes down to 26 when she is not.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links