Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sad end to a Carbon RcF

A few parts have been appearing on eBay from 2 Rcf’s one of which I knew was a Carbon. The seller wouldn’t say what the reg was so I’ve done my own digging and it turns out it’s a Well known car.

She was used in much press and photographic work and had her first  MOT in Feb then met her end on a snowy motorway not long after.

Has now been broken for parts as was a drivable repair but the cost for a bonnet alone made it beyond economical repair.... shame.

Anyway here she Is firstly in happier days......

F1DAA2AA-FFAD-4F97-B5AC-65D3313C2504.thumb.jpeg.59b1c28cbf6d833a7d48026df2310a1e.jpeg

And just prior to being scrapped....

86724C02-F324-45CA-A318-F7D60A188D5B.thumb.jpeg.ac329e3464d20af95627ce1c1320c9ae.jpeg45768B84-1919-4163-ADA3-4EAAD37F0E32.thumb.jpeg.63cdcd6f24a373a3dbcf3607d3d62e4a.jpeg189547B4-B670-4F0E-A320-ABFEC773248D.thumb.jpeg.f6a6712b1f5294e108c81ff8884838a8.jpeg3A209F84-3E08-402D-AA77-B91639FD17A5.thumb.jpeg.8f8f41b0b4622ebb02870d1eda345e34.jpeg

And lastly at the scene of the accident.......

E297339E-7A02-4866-AE46-7CD52F51B3CC.thumb.jpeg.03f64fa96f9844982f2dac3005839e00.jpeg

Big Rat

• Sad 4

17 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

A few parts have been appearing on eBay from 2 Rcf’s one of which I knew was a Carbon. The seller wouldn’t say what the reg was so I’ve done my own digging and it turns out it’s a Well known car.

And lastly at the scene if the accident.......

Big Rat

At least it's one of the funny pink coloured ones

Surely whey could have tried local IS220d breaker... you never know maybe the bonnet would have fitted... and few other bits and bolts.

On the serious note British Insurance/salvaging laws promotes wasting and I often see perfectly repairable cars being written-off... and feel sad about it... double sad when rare car goes out like that and you think - "surely, if they would have given it to me it could have fixed it relatively cheaply and the car would have survived to see another day". Honestly, with all current shenanigans about waste, climate change and car pollution it sounds nothing short of hypocritical when field upon field of perfectly repairable and sometimes even new cars gets scrapped. The carbon footprint of scrapping the car is equivalent to thousands miles of driving!

Some quick facts - average car's manufacturing carbon footprint (e.g. Mondeo) is ~20Tons of Co2 which is equivalent of ~100-150k miles of driving. Everyone mes fuzz about driving, but nobody seems to cares about scrapping cars.

• Like 3

Highly doubt this will be scrapped. Insurance will write it off and sell it on to recoup some costs, to the original owner if they so choose. It could be repaired, but likely to be a Cat C (or whatever the new classification is). Sounds like it's being broken for spares, which will allow other cars to be kept on the road. Cant imagine demand for spares it too high in the UK though!

• Like 1

@Toothy It has been scrapped gone...... no more...... bits have been on and off on the bay, I've been in contact with a guy in the West Mids regarding various parts but the prices well he's in dreamland...... 

Big Rat

Thanks Paul, I stand corrected. Be patient, prices will be sure to drop. I'd love some RCF seats in the IS, but understand it's not a straight swap harness wise. Unless someone makes an adapter now. There must have been loads of spares from this car somewhere. Would have thought just the shell was scrapped.

• Like 1

@Toothy David no probs such a shame I have the contact details of the cars owner who has both Rcf's he has kept a lot of the parts from both cars and is drip feeding it on the bay, both he and his wife have Rc's and have been 'upgrading' them with parts from the cars.

He's not far from you here is one important bit from the Carbon.......

IMG_0881.thumb.PNG.557aa74209f76175d09a29c4afe7e402.PNG

Big Rat

13 hours ago, Big Rat said:

She was used in much press and photographic work and had her first  MOT in Feb then met her end on a snowy motorway not long after.

And lastly at the scene of the accident.......

E297339E-7A02-4866-AE46-7CD52F51B3CC.thumb.jpeg.03f64fa96f9844982f2dac3005839e00.jpeg

Big Rat

Another 'Hamilton' wanabe who can't handle a RWD when push came to shove... what a WASTE

2 minutes ago, Toothy said:

I'd wager this was snow/ice related. Rather than lack of talent. I really dislike driving the F in the snow, it's crap.

Thank GOD for modern car electrics i say.. makes average joe think they are 'Hamilton'

6 minutes ago, Toothy said:

I'd wager this was snow/ice related. Rather than lack of talent. I really dislike driving the F in the snow, it's crap.

Isn't that the same thing i.e. we don't have harsh winters in UK hence "we" do not poses the talent to drive on snow/ice.

On flip side - in most countries where harsh winters are common there are the laws about mandatory fitting of all season/snow tyres... No skill will ever going to help you if you have Summer UHP tyres and you catch little bit of ice on the corner... which seems to be the case - car clearly has Michelin PSS fitted, meaning driver must have had no control over the car whatsoever. 

My point - say for example Finnish driver wouldn't have driven on such tyres in the winter to begin with, secondly if he would have driven on such tyres, he would have known all to well how careful he must be and would have driven accordingly - that is because he would have had skill for driving in winter. That is not to say I blame driver, but simply we all need to realise that "we" do not have experience in winter driving and as such skills.

2 hours ago, noby76 said:

Another 'Hamilton' wanabe who can't handle a RWD when push came to shove... what a WASTE

Maybe that was the problem, all that pushing from the RWD and not enough pulling from the front wheels? 

:laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Martin F said:

Maybe that was the problem, all that pushing from the RWD and not enough pulling from the front wheels? 

:laughing:

Those RWD cars... bloody deadly weapons on the wheels.... Noby was right all along 😄

20 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Those RWD cars... bloody deadly weapons on the wheels.... Noby was right all along 😄

Yes in tricky conditions they could be as you are already aware.. especially when driver skill is called upon, majority will end up in a ditch even with the electrics turned on as above.

Electronic control can only help you if there are wheels where the power or braking force can be be transferred to. If you have no grip in your tyres, you could have FWD, RWD, 4WD or 8x8 - makes no difference. Hell it could be even tracked... 

35 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

If you have no grip in your tyres, you could have FWD, RWD, 4WD or 8x8 - makes no difference. . 

everyone knows this... grip is what keeps a car on the road and prevents loss of traction... was referring more to the numpty dumpties who have the notion of being invincible in conditions like this who drive like its a warm summers day on an icy -5 road...  but end up in a ditch when their superior driving skills are called upon.

was more like get out of my way i have a powerful V8 with 470bhp and y'all going too slow for my liking...  then starts crapping himself once the car start dancing in those conditions..

On a car like the RC-F surely winter tyres are pretty much mandatory when the weather gets bad. You can somewhat chance it in a 4WD or FWD but I wouldnt chance it in a 470hp RWD coupe with fat tyres on it.

And then you have idiots taking it on the motorway in snow with performance summer tyres on....

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

On a car like the RC-F surely winter tyres are pretty much mandatory when the weather gets bad. You can somewhat chance it in a 4WD or FWD but I wouldnt chance it in a 470hp RWD coupe with fat tyres on it.

And then you have idiots taking it on the motorway in snow with performance summer tyres on....

I agree... funny how some can afford £500 - £1000+ a month on Leasing/Financing these cars but cant/won't fork out £300 for some reasonable winter tyres to get them through this period. some say.. but i don't have a space to store tyres.. i say just invest in these smaller 6X4 cheap sheds you can buy from ebay for less than £200 and a descent locker. and if they dont have the space for a 6X4 shed then consider upgrading your home first instead of financing/leasing a £50,000+ car...  

30 minutes ago, noby76 said:

I agree... funny how some can afford £500 - £1000+ a month on Leasing/Financing these cars but cant/won't fork out £300 for some reasonable winter tyres to get them through this period. some say.. but i don't have a space to store tyres.. i say just invest in these smaller 6X4 cheap sheds you can buy from ebay for less than £200 and a descent locker. and if they dont have the space for a 6X4 shed then consider upgrading your home first instead of financing/leasing a £50,000+ car...  

Nonsense.

43 minutes ago, Comedian said:

Nonsense.

Another numpty who thinks it doesn't make sense. each man to his own... feel free to drive yours on summer tyres if you wish  when we experience a harsh winter and i cant wait for your car pictures in that ditch near Lincolnshire..

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, noby76 said:

Another numpty who thinks it doesn't make sense. each man to his own... feel free to drive yours on summer tyres if you wish  when we experience a harsh winter and i cant wait for your car pictures in that ditch near Lincolnshire..

Hopefully said in jest. I’m sure you really wouldn’t want to see anyone come to harm!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, noby76 said:

Makes no sense for me either... We have exactly 2 days of winter every year (at least where I live in UK)... are you saying I should get set of winter tyres for £2000? I would rather not to drive at all for those two days. Furthermore, if roads are "not salted" (which they are often the case in UK, because we don't have sufficient number gritters etc. to cover all roads every time it starts snowing) even winter tires going to be useless... most of winter tires will be ok on wet snow and slush, but on ice you will need studs which would be even more mental on British roads.

Simple answer in UK winter tyres are not economical and equally just gives false sense of safety - if temperature is ~ +7C you will actually get less grip, extra wear, extra fuel consumtion and longer stopping distances on winter tyres.

On other point were I agree with you - modern safety systems gives false sense of security aka anyone can be racing driver, but in 0 grip conditions stability control give-up very unexpectedly. Sort of - you have grip up-to last second and the suddenly no grip at all.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links