Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

F-Up the Peaks & Dales (Formerly the "Welsh Blat")

Right then, after a small (large) amount of research and with a few recon missions to do over the next few weekends (Going to The Gumball in London this weekend if anyone else is?) I think I have a good route in mind. I've reached out to a few people at a few key locations on the way and am awaiting responses before I confirm.

So, as I am sure you can guess this will involve a route through the peaks and dales, meeting in Birmingham (currently awaiting approval from Lexus Birmingham at Fort Dunlop to use them as a starting meeting/point, ending up in the North Dales taking in a few of the UK's finest driving roads.

For those of us with GoPros and/or wishing to get good rolling footage of some sort we'll take in the A38 from Birmingham up to Derby (great two lane fast carriageway for those rolling convoy shots) then cut through towards Matlock and on from there via Castleton, Hope & Holmfirth then probably on to Wensleydale and Swaledale via the Butter Tubs pass. 

There'll be stops on the way for tea and scones and then an overnight locally in the North peaks before a hearty breakfast and a choice of routes home on the Sunday. Back the way we came for the purists or onto any one of a million local motorways for the return trip.  The hotels I've spoken to so far need to know numbers so they can reserve rooms and confirm reduced rates so a poll is going up next to assess/confirm interest.

If you are "in" I'll need cash up front (price TBC, it will just be for the room on the night) and it is non-refundable as it will be used to secure reduced rates.

If there's is not enough interest then it won't go ahead. if there is then it will. 

I'm looking at one of two options for the weekends, hence the poll about to be posted.

More to follow soon. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Warrington guy said:

Dan. I might be interested just for a day blat . Just sold my ISF . Are m4 welcome ? 😀

Absolutely chief! As long as you stay in 3rd gear and tell us all how ace our cars are!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cezar B said:

@NothernDan, I am going on Saturday. Can’t on Sunday. Wanna’ meet up?

Got the 6 months pregnant Mrs plus my best mate and his 7 month pregnant Mrs with me so expect my ability to be on time anywhere to be absolutely zero! I’ll PM you my number now and we should try and coordinate when we’re both there. 

Think we are aiming for about 1-2 in the afternoon.

PM in its way.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Warrington guy said:

Dan. I might be interested just for a day blat . Just sold my ISF . Are m4 welcome ? 😀

Could you clarify what you mean my ‘Just Sold my ISF’

😜

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Flytvr said:

Could you clarify what you mean my ‘Just Sold my ISF’

😜

Don't answer that question Dave, he is trying to start trouble.............................:gora:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mark G said:

Don't answer that question Dave, he is trying to start trouble.............................:gora:

Are you suggesting that Dave has owned his M3 for a while now? 

😜

• Haha 1

Quick update on this one for you all. I will be doing a recon mission this coming Saturday to finalise the route and will publish this with a new poll including a 'day trippers' option.

Looks like there aren't many from daaarn saaarf heading up (Me, Cezar and maybe Big Rat and a few others as day trippers so rather than meet at Birmingham (which is not exactly on route for a lot of us) I'm proposing we meet at Lexus Derby instead which is just a short blast off the M1 or A38 depending on which way you've come. I'd say met there to leave at about 10:30am.

The route from there will be a criss-cross of the peak district and will take in (in no particular order) Matlock, Bakewell, Buxton, Castleton, Hope Valley (Winnats Pass), Glossop (outskirts), The Snake Pass (A57), Stanage, Hathersage, Chatsworth and most likely a couple of the reservoirs at the very North of the peaks. The trip will be about 75-100 miles (maybe a little more) from Derby but given that a lot of it is A roads then I'd expect this to take a pretty full day including various stops for tea and biscuits etc.

I'm scoping out a few hotels on the weekend so will post more news on those once I've seen them in the flesh.

Please watch the forum for more updates and the new route and options.

Will be good if we can get a good few attendees, even if many are just day trippers!

More soon... and why the hell has nobody ever used this before -> :tomcat:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Big Rat said:

@NothernDan As I’m old and as you are aware Rats have rubbish eyesight...... has a date for this been settled for this yet..... I can’t see one......🤡

🐀

29th of September my dear partially sighted rodent friend.

Full details very soon which may be slightly modified after Saturday's recon mission.

• Like 1

Are you still thinking about the dales for day two? 

How about heading up to Settle from your overnight stop, then onto Hawes taking in the RibbleHead Viaduct, and Aysgarth Falls. Then through Leyburn and onto Richmond. From there it's a short drive to Scotch Corner and the A66/A1 junction to make your way home.

6 hours ago, bobmc said:

Are you still thinking about the dales for day two? 

How about heading up to Settle from your overnight stop, then onto Hawes taking in the RibbleHead Viaduct, and Aysgarth Falls. Then through Leyburn and onto Richmond. From there it's a short drive to Scotch Corner and the A66/A1 junction to make your way home.

Hey Bob, yeah, looked at a load of routes but am conscious that most attendees will be day trippers and those that are overnighting will have come a long way so may want to head back home on the Sunday.

Might try and do a bit further north for the next one. I’m originally from rural Cumbria and if we’re  at scotch corner then there’s not much further to go the pull in the lakes.

will probably keep it round the locations I,be mentioned for this one but will be demoing a recon mission on Saturday so will finalise after that.

great suggestion though, Settle does put us right in the middle of some awesome countryside and the viaduct like you say.

9 hours ago, NothernDan said:

29th of September my dear partially sighted rodent friend.

Full details very soon which may be slightly modified after Saturday's recon mission.

@NothernDan Dan I’ve always said it your a very nice young man 👍

Looks promising for me as a result of a customer conversation last night...... involved steak and alcohol 🤡

🐀

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links