Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dba Discs

imi

I have ordered both front and rear DBA Gold Discs, thanks to the Group Buy :P , but i don't know which brake pads will be ok to use with them :blink: (currently i am using the EBC Green Pads with the EBC Discs)

As i will be installing new pads when i change the discs over anyway..So my question is does anyone if i should continue to use EBC Pads or use a diffrent brand?

(if so which ones)

Thanks

well too be honest i cant remember, as i had some problems with the ebc discs and then went to the dba.

the standard ones always were good. think it would be better to test two IS's one with std, 1 with dba and see whatyou think..

rodders, can you explain what you mean by feeling to hard, is it that there is no 'play' transmitted through to the pedal.

They took ages to wam up - didn't feel like they were biting the disc properly when they were cold.

I also had the feeling that they were generating too much heat - my DBA discs were starting to warp after only a very short time.

The Lexus pads generate much more dust, but stop the car better IMO

One of my colleagues is into hillclimbing in a big way, and races a variety of cars. His view was that EBC (who made their name providing for performance bikes) warmed up quickly and would do the job. It seems we all have a variety of experiences(good and bad) with different discs/pads, which makes choosing the right combination bloody hard. :unsure:

i personally think the std set up on the is200 is fantastic for std, and see no real reason to change other than a performance upgrade to the engine which necesitates the brakes needing an upgrade.

what should be remembered is the is 200 uses the same brake set up as the GS300 and GS430, both of which are much heavier cars.

the std is200 brakes were also proven as the best in the group(medium sized saloon) actually out braking Porsche Boxter, and Porsche brakes(Brembo) are supposed to be class leaders.

take from this what you will.

uprated pads DO NOT STOP THE CAR QUICKER, the only advantage that a GOOD uprated pad would have over std would be the heaqt rage in which it operates effectively.

i recon for a good wide usage range Mintex are a very good pad, but ask yourself this question.....do you track days, do you drive the car on the edge, do you street race..if the answer is no, then std pads are whats best for the car, if the answer is yes to any of them, then the uprated pad is a possible area to look at.

true, what I sort of meant was that as the performance type pads work better warmed up etc, then you can brake harder and therefore you stop quicker. The pads and then hopefully the new discs shouldn't fade as much as normal ones might.

Correct me if I am wrong (again!) but these type pads are just more efficient across a wider temperature range.

You are right though (of course), now I have had new fluid in mine (and new rear discs!), the brakes are sooo much better. Dunno why you would want anything other than standard unless you like the looks, or do as Mat says above!

i won't be tracking or anything, just the occasional boot up from traffic lights etc.. :winky: boy racers styleeee..

I only gone for these discs mainly for the looks..the car looks weird with just the front ebc discs so with the dba, be getting an even look B)

So you reckon i should go for the standard pads?

Going find out the cost price of both the standard and the mintex and see what is difference :whistling:

Dunno why you would want anything other than standard unless you like the looks, or do as Mat says above!

Do add to your mod list of course :unsure::lol:

I think sometimes a lot of people get a bit carried away modding on here, and forget they have a LEXUS where top notch parts (are supposed to)come as standard!!

The only moan i have with the stock pads is the dust :crybaby:

I have just done some phone calls here an there and these are the prices i got..

Mintex Pads ( inc VAT)

Front - £32.00

Rear - £20.00

Lexus Pads (15% Discount)

Front - £45.00

Rear - £30.00

AT these prices i might aswell get the Mintex ones.. :winky: