Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Monitor connection

Just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to change the connection on a small computer monitor from what it is at the moment to an HDMI connector.

I am pretty efficient at fine soldering work but, would need some sort of instruction/guide to help with the connections.  Is it likely that some changes would need to be made to the innards of the monitor, if so then this would probably make it a no goer.

I am currently using an HDMI splitter on my current monitor, this gives me access to my pc and, by switching I can see what my CCTV camera is seeing.  I thought that this small LG monitor might be just the job to eliminate the need to keep switching.  There is a VGA connector on the back of my CCTV recorder but both ends of the monitor cable are the same as in the attached piccy.

Many thanks for any help that may be offered.

Monitor connection.JPG

Any cable like this could do the job (I am not sure, as HDMI is tricky sometimes, bu for 3 or 4 quids you could try...)? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ODWARWC/ref=asc_df_B00ODWARWC54550316

BTW1 if we talk about tv-hdmi plug & socket, but your monitor could be this L-type "computer" hdmi, what-is-the-name socket.

BTW2 this is not VGA socket on the photo, this is DVI (exactly description next to socket), if you will be looking for cable, don't look at VGA-HDMI, but DVI-HDMI.

Hiya Ben, thank you for this, I think what you are suggesting will be absolutely perfect without me having to do any work.  Brilliant!

I will order one immediately, Thanks again.

The VGA connector that I mentioned is on the back of the CCTV NVR but the cable that I have for the monitor won't fit because it is the same type of connector at both ends, i.e. DVH

EDIT: Went back to the monitor to check lettering and on the connector and I can't make out if it is DVH or DVI-I (DVI (hyphen I)  There appears to be two blocks of 9 pins each with one horizontal connector at the side. 18 pins with one horizontal

DVI-I, I think. I am not sure if it is compatible with any random HDMI cable (it is not exactly my area of expertise), but as above, for a few quids, try it.

As far as I know, only possible problem (except some simple electrical mismatch), is HDMI device ignoring other end device, as HDMI is highly sophisticated and DRMed protocol in theory, not only a socket/plug standard, like VGA or DVI.  In the beginning of HDMI were problems like "our hi-end full licensed TV ignores non-HDMI-licensed recorder or CCTV source",   but I think nobody cares now.

Ah well, tried the cable but it didn't work.  However, I am wondering if I purchased the correct cable.  I was looking on amazon just now as I thought that I might try to use the VGA connector on the back of my NVR (instead of the HDMI one) by purchasing a DVI to VGA cable and, whilst I was looking at what is available I spotted that there is a DVI cable to HDMI that is shown as a DVI 24+5 and, I am wondering if this is what I should have got because my monitor connection has got the 24 pinholes plus the one horizontal connector and this horizontal connector has four pinholes aswell (two each side of it).  I think therefore that this setup would be a 24+1 jobby.  Anyone agree?

I might contact the supplier to see if they might exchange it.

You haven't taken a photo of the DVI end of the new cable you bought but if it doesn't look exactly like the socket on the monitor then you've probably got the wrong one. Your monitor's socket is labelled as DVI-I (Digital Visual Interface - Integrated) and has a 24+5 configuration so you need a cable with a 24+5 DVI-I plug on one end with an HDMI plug on the other.

Thank you for coming in on this Herbie.  it is now becoming quite interesting and confusing.

The connector block on the actual monitor (The photo in my original post) does indeed have 24 pin holes in a block, plus one horizontal pin with two pin holes either side of this pin giving what would appear to be a 24+5 DVI configuration.  However, the actual cable that I used when this monitor was being used with an old computer only has 18 pins, in two blocks of nine, plus the horizontal pin.  I have (hopefully) attached a photo of this cable.

I am now left wondering, is this going to work at all. 

Cable photo.JPG

That plug is a DVI-D (Digital Visual Interface - Digital only, single link)

It worked with your old computer because the graphics card must have been a digital output (as opposed to the analogue of VGA). The single or dual link doesn't matter except in respect of speed of data transfer. A single link has a maximum data rate of 3.96 Gbit/second, whereas a dual link has a maximum rate of 7.92 Gbit/second.

The socket on your monitor is a DVI-I (Integrated digital and analogue) Dual Link so should be capable of working at the higher speed with the compatible lead and terminations, but from the picture of that plug, your old computer graphics card was only capable of the slower speed.

I'd say that a lead with a DVI-I (24+5) plug on one end and an HDMI plug at the other should work.

• 2 weeks later...

I am now wondering if I am more likely to get this monitor to work with my NVR if I go the route of DVI-I to Analogue and use the analogue output connector on the back of my NVR.

I haven't yet tried the DVI-I to HDMI by using a 24+5 cable as it is a load of hassle having to send for and then return, cables purchased on-line.  There is nowhere local that I can pop out to to make the job easier.

With regard to a DVI-I to Analogue, do these cables tend to be Bi-Directional or do I need to specify which way the signal will go, i.e analogue (NVR)to DVI-I (Monitor)