Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Removing Front Number Plate on an RCF

As far as I can see, it is only held on with a few plastic clips and the grill is complete behind it...from online images I can find the car looks a lot better without it (like this one)...and I get that its not allowed, but if it was in the boot accompanied with a 'knocked it off earlier at supermarket' story the blues and two's probably wouldn't write a ticket would they???

Insert thoughts/outrage here...

2 minutes ago, tomRCFcarbon said:

As far as I can see, it is only held on with a few plastic clips and the grill is complete behind it...from online images I can find the car looks a lot better without it (like this one)...and I get that its not allowed, but if it was in the boot accompanied with a 'knocked it off earlier at supermarket' story the blues and two's probably wouldn't write a ticket would they???

Insert thoughts/outrage here...

I really wouldn’t do it.

You  could look into removing the current plate (which isn’t hard I’m told) and attaching  a stick on vinyl type plate on the bonnet. Nobody can agree if this is legal or not, but it’s got to be better than your current suggestion. 👍

I removed mine and it's very easy. I did reattach a smaller plate though. Angled down.

The problem with ours, versus US market, is on our they have chopped out 2 large squares to mount the plate holder.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

How about an off center vinyl  one, similar position to an Evo.
I planned to replace the ISF plate with a vinyl one, but found the holes in bumper were too large. US cars look so much cleaner.

14 hours ago, Flytvr said:

I really wouldn’t do it.

You  could look into removing the current plate (which isn’t hard I’m told) and attaching  a stick on vinyl type plate on the bonnet. Nobody can agree if this is legal or not, but it’s got to be better than your current suggestion. 👍

I think the regs actually do deem this illegal as the manufacturer (Lexus) have provided a very practicable vertical mounting

"(3) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed—

a)vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable," 

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/part/II/made

• Thanks 1

I've removed my number plate and installed a reflective sticker plate on the front from these guys (https://www.dmb.uk.com/

Just had my MOT done last month and it passed with flying colours, so no issue in terms of legality. 

The guy even looked at the sticker plates and told me as long as it's reflective and the correct size then it's fine. 

I covered the two holes on the front bumper with some tape and then put the sticker plate on top.

4 hours ago, Defratos said:

I've removed my number plate and installed a reflective sticker plate on the front from these guys (https://www.dmb.uk.com/

Just had my MOT done last month and it passed with flying colours, so no issue in terms of legality. 

The guy even looked at the sticker plates and told me as long as it's reflective and the correct size then it's fine. 

I covered the two holes on the front bumper with some tape and then put the sticker plate on top.

Sorry it's not legal, stick on number plates never have been and just because it passed an MOT means nothing. 

Take a look at 6.3.A

Although the chances of you getting pulled are slim, but if you came across an arsey copper then he could book you for it. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Martin F said:

Sorry it's not legal,

I think I'm going to take the risk. I won't replace the plate with a sticker I think it looks a bit 'aftermarket' and also runs the risk of plod deciding that I am purposefully doing something that is not legal...having no plate at all is also not legal, but perhaps more legal if it is 'temporary' and the errant plate is in the boot and accompanied by a 'it was knocked off earlier at sainsbury's' story...as a result first pull from Mr plod will see me reinstate the plate anyway.

Next job is working out how to fill those holes. I wonder if I could get a mold made and duplicate a bit of the grill pattern...or if there is one from that Carbon that was being broken on eBay that I could carve a bit out of...

9 hours ago, tomRCFcarbon said:

Can you send a pic?

You can find it in my build thread on CL ---> https://www.clublexus.com/forums/build-threads/691131-defratos-isf-build-6.html although I do have the number plate smeared out but it should give you a good enough idea on how it looks. 

If you look in the background you'll see a Golf front bumper with a sticker number plate as well, but mine is slightly different as it doesn't have the black border that goes around it. 

5 hours ago, Martin F said:

Sorry it's not legal, stick on number plates never have been and just because it passed an MOT means nothing. 

Take a look at 6.3.A

Although the chances of you getting pulled are slim, but if you came across an arsey copper then he could book you for it. 

Well, I went to 2 MOT shops and both told me it's perfectly fine and it would pass so I don't understand whats the point of MOT when they are legally bound to check the car is up to legal standard?

Plus I don't see anything in the link you sent that states sticker plates are not allowed? My sticker number plate is the correct size, shape and font it's also reflective. 

Can you show me where it says sticker plates are not allowed? 

I can understand if the sticker is distorted or the font isn't correct or it's not reflective, but mine are as per legal spec unless I'm missing something here. 

5 hours ago, tomRCFcarbon said:

I think I'm going to take the risk. I won't replace the plate with a sticker I think it looks a bit 'aftermarket' and also runs the risk of plod deciding that I am purposefully doing something that is not legal...having no plate at all is also not legal, but perhaps more legal if it is 'temporary' and the errant plate is in the boot and accompanied by a 'it was knocked off earlier at sainsbury's' story...as a result first pull from Mr plod will see me reinstate the plate anyway.

Next job is working out how to fill those holes. I wonder if I could get a mold made and duplicate a bit of the grill pattern...or if there is one from that Carbon that was being broken on eBay that I could carve a bit out of...

I also have my original plate in the boot, the main reason I went for the sticker is because the number plate holder tabs broke off and I assumed they won't sell it in the UK since my car is a GCC Spec. soooo if I do get stopped I can always go with that route. But I would firstly fight it as it was approved by 2 MOT shops. 

The MOT test does not check the legality of a vehicle, it only checks that it is in a roadworthy condition at the time of the test. 

As an example it's illegal to use red diesel in a road car unless you have proof that the relevant duty has been paid, but does the MOT tester know about this or even check for this? Nobody can expect an MOT tester to know all the in's and outs of type approval and what is a legal or illegal modification to a car, they are just testing that it is in a roadworthy condition as described in the MOT manual. 

The relevant wording in the case of stick on plates is:

vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable, and

Obviously on our cars it is possible to mount vertically because Lexus make this possible from the factory. I'm sure we can all guess the reasons why plates need to be mounted vertically and what you could be accused of trying to evade if not mounted vertically.  :wink3:

Don't get me wrong I'm not preaching or jumping on the soapbox here, especially if you look at some of the mods on my other cars, it's just this subject comes up from time to time on car forums and actually the law is quite clear. 

Thanks for the clarification, but isn't the sticker number plate mounted vertically just like a normal plate?

I can understand if it obstructs the view or is difficult to see on speed cameras etc... But I've received a few shots of my car going into the congestion zone with no issues so far, so it doesn't seem to be obstructive 🙂

Anyway I guess only time will tell and I'll update you guys if I do ever get stopped for the sticker plate in future. 

It does look much nicer without the plate holder 😉, looks clean.

Martin is correct. My bike goes through with illegal plate every year, however if you don't have a reflector....instant fail. They will also pass a bike with none type approved exhausts. No emissions testing for bikes so can also decat them. Is that legal? Not sure but it passes mot.

I removed by plate holder and screwed plate onto the plate holder holes using self tappers. Plate is angled down nicely. Passed mot no problem. Looks factory. Been through 1 scamera van and got no ticket but no idea if it worked or I was under his limit.

4 hours ago, Defratos said:

Thanks for the clarification, but isn't the sticker number plate mounted vertically just like a normal plate?

Yes, but i've yet to see a stick on number plate mounted vertically. Is yours vertical? I couldn't see any pics in your build thread. 

On 8/15/2018 at 8:20 AM, Martin F said:

Yes, but i've yet to see a stick on number plate mounted vertically. Is yours vertical? I couldn't see any pics in your build thread. 

Well it isn't 100% perfectly vertical because it flows with the bend of the front bumper shape if that makes sense. 

On 8/15/2018 at 6:52 AM, Comedian said:

Martin is correct. My bike goes through with illegal plate every year, however if you don't have a reflector....instant fail. They will also pass a bike with none type approved exhausts. No emissions testing for bikes so can also decat them. Is that legal? Not sure but it passes mot.

I removed by plate holder and screwed plate onto the plate holder holes using self tappers. Plate is angled down nicely. Passed mot no problem. Looks factory. Been through 1 scamera van and got no ticket but no idea if it worked or I was under his limit.

Thanks for the info, didn't know bikes will pass without emissions testing. 

Also would have thought that non approved number plates would have failed.  

18 hours ago, Defratos said:

Also would have thought that non approved number plates would have failed.  

Technically it should - but this is the point in a way. MOT pass isn't always same as 'road legal'.