Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2002 LS430 with a 'C' type key.

The second key has stopped working. Replaced the Battery but the red light still does not come on, or open the car.

Does it need to be programmed to talk to the car's computer.

The first key was replaced about 2 years ago and the battery/key fob worked fine.

Any ideas most welcome.

37 minutes ago, MLW said:

how much is a new key/modem?

you'd better be sitting down with a stiff whisky when someone tells you :whistling1: 

Malc

I have a 99 LS400, I had to replace a >key< fob in March, the other fell apart, I ordered a new key + them fixing the codes, it cost me £75 including VAT, note, this was the key fob only, not the transponder as well although I think it was the transponder which was reprogrammed with the codes, Lexus Edgeware Rd, London........as far as the transponder price goes I have been quoted over £300

5 hours ago, MLW said:

Yes I did. I might try another battery, although it was new. Silly question but how much is a new key/modem?

When I phoned Lexus for a price for an LS400 key it was £250 5 years ago, and that's not a smart key!  I think you would have to call them for a price, but have the aforementioned hard liquor at hand to numb the pain.  

I'm looking for a second key for my Honda Accord and was told that Timpsons can do keys and transponders for some cars. I'm not sure if a Lexus LS000 falls into that category but I'm going to and get one done for the Honda so will ask the question. 

3 hours ago, dendonc said:

Hi Phil, was that with the transponder & battery in it or without the transponder?

That was for everything including programming.

Oh ok, I found some key fob shells supposed to fit mine for £14.99 but theres no transponder in them. About £40 cheaper than Lexus Edgware Rd last March but no one to put the codes in even if I bought a transponder from Lexus, Lexus would not put the codes in anyway as these things on eBay are not their own,, see Lexus receipt for shell only

Key Receipt.jpg

This is a 'C' type fob, with no key visible (apart from the emergency key slide up the side). Is the transponder buried inside the black fob below the 3 buttons?

What sounds quite 'odd' to me is that both keys seem to have gone kaput at about the same time after years of good service, any comments on that anyone? to me it sounds like something to do with something on the car affecting the key codes, guesswork on my part but it's the only thing which sounds sensible

4 hours ago, MLW said:

This is a 'C' type fob, with no key visible (apart from the emergency key slide up the side). Is the transponder buried inside the black fob below the 3 buttons?

Not sure what you mean by "c" type fob. If it's the normal smart key the transponder is inside the section you take out to replace the Battery.

Page 57 of the owners manual calls it C type. Yes it is a smart key.

Update. The offending key will not open or close the doors or boot, but WILL start the engine as normal.

10 minutes ago, MLW said:

The offending key will not open or close the doors or boot, but WILL start the engine as normal.

So do you have a manual key to do those things?

I would guess that the key is faulty if the red light doesn't come on when you press it. The fact that you can start it shows the immobiliser is reading the key. How about taking the transponder out of the key and gently pressing the buttons without the casing to see if the light comes on.

21 hours ago, dendonc said:

Oh ok, I found some key fob shells supposed to fit mine for £14.99 but theres no transponder in them. About £40 cheaper than Lexus Edgware Rd last March but no one to put the codes in even if I bought a transponder from Lexus, Lexus would not put the codes in anyway as these things on ebay are not their own,, see Lexus receipt for shell only

Key Receipt.jpg

The cheapest way is to buy a used key from eBay, it has to be identical, buy a cheap blank, get it cut, costs about £8, put the used transponder in the new blank and go through the programming system yourself (door closed/open etc) It's fairly easy, I did it on my MK4.  Can't remember the total cost but it was around £45.

21 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

go through the programming system yourself (door closed/open etc) It's fairly easy,

Thats way outside my knowledge that bit, though the price sounds great, technical mechanical things are outside my arts centered abilities in the same way I have zero technical talents.

1 hour ago, dendonc said:

Thats way outside my knowledge that bit, though the price sounds great, technical mechanical things are outside my arts centered abilities in the same way I have zero technical talents.

Actually it's very easy when you understand it.  It's a process of closing,opening, locking the doors in the correct sequence and timing, as well as pressing the key buttons.  Do a search on here for programming an LS400 key. I was amazed when it actually worked!