Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Understanding hybrid tricks

Not only for IS300h owners, but also for all Lexus hybrid drivers,  I am writing only now about this android app , really not so new, but it's because at last I had the chance to try it on my GS 300h ( previously not in list of compatible hybrid cars), and it is really complete in telling hybrid cars drivers with HSD eCVT a lot of info monitoring the system to obtain  the best mpg and general use. The android app has been created by amateur developers and it is totally FREE, and there is also a associated app to create a complete report of how you made your trip very useful to perfectionate (if you like ) your hypermiling technique, but it is useful also for curious people that like to know more about hybrids; you only need to use the app a good OBD BT interface that can be used with other famous apps, like Torque. 

My compliments again to the developers they deserve for the big work they did with Hybrid Assistant and Hybrid Reporter.

Being a free software I think it's not against forum policy to give the link, as unluckily some bad people are spamming on market with app with similar apps trying to have advantage of work of others.

http://hybridassistant.blogspot.com/p/about.html

• Like 1

I've recently been using that app and it's fiendishly clever how it displays the information.

At first viewing there's too much data but I think the fog is clearing after using it a while.

It certainly looks trick :lol:

@Zotto, what OBD adaptor are you using?

I managed to snag myself a used one of these :yes:

20180717_143322.thumb.jpg.cae75f015e4eeafe81e2fd4dedcc260c.jpg

It's the best one accordingly to HA guys, I use another one, Vgate Icar2, the important is to have a good obd giving fast data, in their pages they talk also about quality of different models tested. At the beginning there are so many data and it could be a bit overwhelming, and I find more useful to be not distracted in driving to read the report and give a look to the pdf fast manual, to understand all symbols in main screen.

Another important suggestion is to use a android device with no other apps working together, and old one also works well if free from other work to do.

That looks an interesting app. As I don't have an OBD adapter could I ask you a couple of questions about the data it shows?

I've wondered in the past about the details of what is indicated by the "hybrid system indicator" on the IS300h.

blob.thumb.png.0d106ffb714c1406b3652a78eba01852.png

I've always assumed that in section 1, when the pointer moves all the way to the lower limit, that's indicating the maximum amount of braking regeneration. If you then press harder on the brake pedal the brake pads would come into operation. On the app, I would guess that the brake display will change colour (red if I remember rightly) as the brake pads are applied when the pointer on the dashboard reaches the lower limit. Is that right?

In the lower part of section 3, the EV light stays lit but if the pointer goes into section 2 the engine starts. I expect the app will show the same information, (except when the engine has to run to warm up, charge the Battery or any other reason.)

But what does section 4 mean? Maybe the app can throw some light on this. My guess would be as follows:

In section 2, the engine is sending power to the wheels and to the Battery.

In the left part of section 4, the engine is sending power to the wheels and electricity to the motors to add torque to the road wheels.

In the full power section on the right of section 4, the engine is sending power to the wheels, and the motors are driving the wheels from generated electricity and from the Battery.

Does the app give any information that supports these guesses? Or can anyone describe what is happening in the two parts of section 4?

William your assumptions are pretty much spot on, although my in-car gauge is slightly different to yours.

The app gives much more info and will for instance confirm when the hydraulic brakes are actually applied.

There are a bunch of short YouTube vid's provided by the developer that show the app in use, which are well worth a look.

The final purpose of the app is to help hybrid drivers in effective hypermiling controlling all data that are useful for efficient use, i.e. braking only in regenerative way not wasting energy and consuming pads, at the same time if someone likes to use the "push and glide" technique, it monitors with more precision the energy flow from and to Battery, so that it' is easier to keep it near null. Another monitoring is about different phases of work of engine (S1, S2 etc. ) , and so on. The suggestion to give a look to videos is useful, while it is a good start to read the meaning of all symbols on screen with the 2 pages .pdf in download section of site.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links