Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Poll & Itinerary - F-Up the Peaks & Dales

NothernDan

PLEASE READ ME FIRST BEFORE YOU RESPOND TO THE SURVEY !!!

So, apologies for the new thread but there are new questions and obviously a lot more detail. Admins, can you sticky this one and the associated 'new' poll, so they are always at the top, until after the event?

Before I get any negative comments this is a rough itinerary at present which will be confirmed after my recon mission this coming Saturday.

The proposed date for the event is Saturday the 29th September (for both day trippers and overnighters) and Sunday the 30th September (for overnighters only). The proposed starting point is Lexus Derby – Orient Way, Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8BY – 01332 426 185. This is on the North side of Derby but easily accessible from the A52.

I’d say meet there any time from 09:00 onwards on Saturday the 29th with a view to leaving in convoy as close as possible to 10:00. Apologies to all for the early start but as the majority of interest has been from the ‘day-trippers’ I want us to make the most of the day light hours on day one. I’m open to leaving as early as possible but want to make sure we allow some travel time for our distant members.  Please add comments below with your views on this but don’t shoot the messenger!! My view (as you’ll see below) is that we’ve a full day of driving to take-in so the earlier we can leave the better. With that in mind, arrive with a full tank! There’s nothing worse than wasting half an hour straight away for a fuel stop.

The route on day one has been designed with the day trippers in mind, for any overnighters we can revisit our favourite parts of the previous day on Sunday but about 15% faster and with windows slightly more cracked for maximum exhaust noise and V8 soundtrack! J

The route from Lexus Derby on the 29th will be following the A6 Northbound towards Matlock via Belper passing through the following landmark locations on the way;

Lexus Derby - Start

Duffield

Milford

Belper

Ambergate

Whatstandwell

Cromford

Matlock

According to RAC Routefinder the journey from Lexus-Derby to Matlock will take about an hour, covering about 25 miles and bringing us to about 11:00. Given the next leg of the journey is quite a long one we may want to stop in Matlock briefly for coffees and a mid-morning bacon roll! Although it’s quite soon into the day for a stop there’s a good distance yet to go before our lunch stop so this opportunity for ‘elevenses’ may be a good call. Let’s assume a half hour stop here.

From Matlock we’ll head on up the A6 towards Bakewell via Darley Dale and Rowsley and on towards Buxton passing through (or past) the following landmark locations on the way;

Darley Dale

Rowsley

Bakewell

Ashford in the Water

Then along Buxton Road past

Brushfield

Taddington

Blackwell

King Sterndale

Then along Bakewell Road to

Buxton

According to RAC Routefinder the journey from Matlock to Buxton will take about 2 hours and 30 minutes, covering about 75 miles bringing us to about 14:00 (assuming a half hour stop in Matlock). Assuming we do this in a one-er I reckon this marks a good place to stop for late lunch so we can grab something to eat and drink at any one of a fair few places. The Green Pavillion café and the Royal Oak Tavern get good reviews but I’ll check them out on my recon mission this weekend to see where we (however many of us there ends up being) can easily park. Let’s assume an hour and a half to stop here to fill stomachs and sip fine teas and coffees.

From Buxton, leaving at about 15:30 with energy on board, we’ll leave via the A6 again, heading through the following landmark locations on the way via The Hope valley towards Stanage Edge;

Fairfields

Dove Holes

Chapel-En-Le-Frith

Before taking the A623 to Sparrow Pit

At Sparrow Pit we go past the Wanted Inn (keeping it on our right) towards Castleton

Past the Blue John Caverns

Down Winnats Pass (this is awesome) towards Castelton

Castleton (very quaint)

Hathersage (very nice also)

According to RAC Routefinder the journey from Buxton to Hathersage will take about 45 minutes, covering about 20 miles bringing us to about 16.45.We may want to put in another stop in at Castleton so you can all buy your missus a local trinket before we aarive in Hathersage. Up to you! J

Hathersage is the nearest decent size populated location to Stanage Edge, a very popular tourist view point a short drive from Hathersage and a great sun-down photo opportunity. Keira Knigthley spent much time on set in a corset here during all those films she seemed to be in when she was the UK’s latest export. Please insert jokes about being “in Keira Knightley’s corset” here -> “……………” and make them good ones!!            

After much ooooo-ing and ahhhh-ing and clicking of shutters (let’s assume an hour or so for this we’ll have two choices;

1. If we all have the energy we can blast back along the A6187 and veer of towards Banford and the LadyBower Reservoir then along the famous A57 (Snake Pass) towards Glossop

2. If we don’t then we can call it a day, the day trippers can head home and the overnighters can look forward to the A57 in the morning.

So, either Hathersage is our end destination or Glossop is and I’ll find a suitable abode for our overnighters in the winning location once I get your views on this below.

Both Hathersage and Glossop have enough pubs, inns, restaurants & hotels to give us plenty of choice so there can be a group evening meal for us all at either location or failing that we’ll be at the either the North East or North West Edge of the Peaks (respectively) where there are some fast flowing motorways and dual carriageways within easy reach for the journey home for all you day trippers.

So, please respond to the survey above and I’ll update this after the weekend recon mission and once I know more firm numbers. Any comments, please add below and we can finalise this all next week.

And no post ever will now be complete without this -> :tomcat:      Stick that in your Takeda intake!!

On 8/9/2018 at 5:05 AM, Cezar B said:

Great job, @NothernDan! I’m in!

Hey Cezar. When we get a bit closer To the date let me know if you want to convoy it up there on the Saturday morning. It’s about 2 hours from mine according to Google maps so about 1:45 in real life. I’ll be aiming to get there as close as possible to 9.

Not sure where you are but I’m not far off junction 10 of the A1, Baldock services. I could meet you there and head up together if it’s an easy route from yours up the A1.

Dan.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NothernDan said:

Hey Cezar. When we get a bit closer To the date let me know if you want to convoy it up there on the Saturday morning. It’s about 2 hours from mine according to Google maps so about 1:45 in real life. I’ll be aiming to get there as close as possible to 9.

Not sure where you are but I’m not far off junction 10 of the A1, Baldock services. I could meet you there and head up together if it’s an easy route from yours up the A1.

Dan.

Hi, @NothernDan

This is my route to Lexus Derby: https://goo.gl/maps/vbtQNLvxgjR2

If we could meet up somewhere to convoy, it would be great. 

I’m guessing my drive will be 1:45 min om a Saturday morning for me as well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cezar B said:

Hi, @NothernDan

This is my route to Lexus Derby: https://goo.gl/maps/vbtQNLvxgjR2

If we could meet up somewhere to convoy, it would be great. 

I’m guessing my drive will be 1:45 min om a Saturday morning for me as well.

All good, I could easily meet you at Newport Pagnell services on the way. Let’s sort a time out nearer the day!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NothernDan said:

All good, I could easily meet you at Newport Pagnell services on the way. Let’s sort a time out nearer the day!

Sounds like a plan, matey! Cheers 🍻 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Womble72 said:

I’m in n up for the meet, I’m coming up from Wickford, Essex, also a couple of other “maybes”, RCF GSF and SC430.......possibly another ISF too 🤞🏻 

Me and @Arqum are meeting at junction 18 on the M25, but that’s a bot of route for you. We should probably meet up somewhere on the M1

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Womble72 said:

I’m in n up for the meet, I’m coming up from Wickford, Essex, also a couple of other “maybes”, RCF GSF and SC430.......possibly another ISF too 🤞🏻 

Hi @Womble72 Pm me and I will setup a WhatsApp group for us southerners going to the meet. 

• Like 3

All looking good on here gents! Seems like the numbers are building up nicely.

If you guys are all arranging a meet on the M1 then I get on just before Newport Pagnell services so we could meet there if that works? I;m not on WhatsApp (stupid Blackberry) so keep me in mind when you are arranging the final meet for the Southern travellers :wink3: 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NothernDan said:

All looking good on here gents! Seems like the numbers are building up nicely.

If you guys are all arranging a meet on the M1 then I get on just before Newport Pagnell services so we could meet there if that works? I;m not on WhatsApp (stupid Blackberry) so keep me in mind when you are arranging the final meet for the Southern travellers :wink3: 

We can do a group on Viber if it works on Blackberry, @NothernDan

• Like 1

I don't think any of you lot travelling up from the south are going to need any media or tech........with @Cezar B new exhaust all of the south east will know when he leaves home you can just follow the noise North.........😂

🐁

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Big Rat said:

I don't think any of you lot travelling up from the south are going to need any media or tech........with @Cezar B new exhaust all of the south east will know when he leaves home you can just follow the noise North.........😂

🐁

Ha ha ha :))) Maybe I should fit the standard one back for this road trip... not to disturb the wild life up North...

• Haha 1

Evening all!!

Recon mission complete and I'm glad I did it. Not only 'cos i had a grand day out with @Warrington guy AKA "ASBO Dave and his mobile crowd terrifying machine" :yes:. Holy Pizzle, that thing makes every other exhaust I've heard sound like the one you get on a 1976 Austin Allegro.

So,  RAC routefinder can f@(&ing do one as far as I'm concerned. Stupid system. The positive is that we get 2 hours back that I didn't think we had before.

So, the route will definitely start at Lexus Derby where Centre Host Alex is looking forward to receiving us on the day. Just awaiting final rubber stamp off the centre principal on Monday but this should not be a problem. The sales manager was keen to line up his LC's for us including a hybrid and 2 V8s, one being the limited edition yellow one they have in the main showroom. Very nice.

I'm going to adjust the route slightly given today's findings but here's a quick summary of what definitely will be involved;

Event will be on Saturday the 29th September (for both day trippers and overnighters) and Sunday the 30th September (for overnighters only). The starting point is Lexus Derby – Orient Way, Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8BY – 01332 426 185. This is on the North side of Derby but easily accessible via the M1 - A52 - A6 and puts us very close to the A6 for the very start of the journey.

Meet there any time from 09:00 onwards on Saturday the 29th with a view to leaving in convoy as close as possible to 10:00 or 10:30 at the latest. As before, arrive with a full tank! £5 penalty for anyone with less than 3/4's!!

Starting at Lexus Derby - A short 5 minute drive past the Derby City Football ground and onto the A6 towards Matlock  then on this road for about 20 miles via Duffield, Milford, Belper, Ambergate, Whatstandwell, Cromford, Matlock Bath and into Matlock. Beautiful scenery, the heights of Abraham, loads of old mills etc.

This first main leg of the journey takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on traffic. When we get into Matlock it feels like you are driving past everything and heading out of the village but it's a big one way system and the main access point to the village is on the North Side. I reckon we could stop at Matlock for Bacon rolls and coffees and a toilet break (for all you pensioners!) or just blast on through to Buxton. We'll assess what people want to do on the day and take it from there. This puts us at Matlock for about 11:30 if we leave Derby at 10:30. Lets assume a half hour stop in Matlock (TBC).

The next leg is where RAC screwed it all up as from Matlock to Buxton only takes about an hour, not the 2.5 hours RAC reckoned it would(!) and is about another 25 miles, not 75 as previously advised. Excellent stuff.... 1.5 hours regained for more Fast-A-road-action

So, from Matlock we’ll head on up the A6 towards Bakewell via Darley Dale and Rowsley and on towards Buxton passing through (or past) Ashford in the Water, Brushfield, Taddington, Blackwell, King Sterndale and into Buxton. I had a really clear run on here and there is a good section just past Ashford in the Water of open dual carriageway. I promise I definitely observed the 50mph speed limit all the way. The number in the red circles is a 'minimum' limit right?

Here's where I met Dave today so I lost track of timings a little but lets assume we'll get to Buxton at about 13:00. Lets take a stop here for lunch so please take a look at The Green Pavillion café and the Royal Oak Tavern which both get good reviews, or any others you fancy (suggestions below), again we can decide on the day. Let’s assume an hour and a half to stop here to fill empty/greedy bellies.

From Buxton, leaving at about 14:30 with energy on board, we’ll leave via the A6 again, heading through the following landmark locations on the way via The Hope valley towards Hathersage. We'll go via Fairfields, Dove Holes, Chapel-En-Le-Frith, Sparrow Pit and on towards Castleton, Past the Blue John Caverns and down the awesome Winnats Pass towards Castelton and Hathersage. It'll take us about an hour to do this section so we're at about 15:30 now

Now from here on is still TBC as we've effectively got two extra hours to fill. Dave and I ended up doing a blast through Ringinglow, the outskirts of Sheffield then all the way along the Snake Pass with lunch at Ladybower Reservoir. Most of that route I liked but bits we could easily lose. I reckon we'll end up with a blast across the A57 to Glossop then cut back in towards Chapel-En-Le-Frith for the overnighters. Leave it with me and I'll confirm in the next day or so.

Much fun was had today, many bystanders were terrified (Remus M4 style) and at least two portions of chips were consumed. 10 hours and 400 miles later I'm back home.

Watch this space for more news as it happens!!

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Cezar B said:

We can do a group on Viber if it works on Blackberry, @NothernDan

I'd should be so lucky!! This is what happens when you work for a bank and you're too tight to pay for a personal phone! The only app i can download is the lloyds online banking one!! :withstupid:

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links