Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Poll - F-Up The Peaks & Dales - 29th & 30th September

New Poll - F-Up The Peaks & Dales - 29th & 30th September  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Can you make it and if so, when?

• I can't make it
    • I'm a definite day tripper on the 29th
    • I'm a potential day tripper on the 29th
    • I'm a definite day tripper on the 29th and might be able to do an overnight
    • I'm a definte for both days and will need accomodation on the 29th night

Morning Chaps,

Just checked everything, and the missus and I are a go for both days. 😎

Has anyone got costs yet for the Saturday night? Just so we can budget everything.

Look forward to meeting a few of you along the way, as gather we have a spot on M25 for us Kent/Essex owners plus others hopefully.....

Can’t wait. 

Cheers all,

Pete 😊

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peter P18 said:

Morning Chaps,

Has anyone got costs yet for the Saturday night? Just so we can budget everything.

Look forward to meeting a few of you along the way, as gather we have a spot on M25 for us Kent/Essex owners plus others hopefully.....

Can’t wait. 

Cheers all,

Pete 😊

Good morning, matey! 

It’s nice to have you and your mrs on board. 😇

A couple of us meet up at junction 18 on the M25, others on the M1 at Toddington Services and the  further north on the M1 (forgot the services name, though)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cezar B said:

Good morning, matey! 

It’s nice to have you and your mrs on board. 😇

A couple of us meet up at junction 18 on the M25, others on the M1 at Toddington Services and the  further north on the M1 (forgot the services name, though)

Morning Matey,

Thanks, looking forward to it. 

Any idea what time you want to meet at Jct 18 of the M25? Is plan to then pick up others from M1, and further North, or just meet up when we all get there?

Hopefully we have some Shell stations worked out along the way?! Know I’ll need it! Lol. 😂

• Like 2

Yes, the plan is to pick up the others on the route... Don’t know the time, we will decide closer to the date. There’s a group on WhatsApp, just pm me your no and will add you there. 

At junction 18 there’s a Shell garage... there should be plenty further North 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peter P18 said:

Morning Chaps,

Can’t wait. 

Cheers all,

Pete 😊

Awesome news Pete! Looking forward to meeting you st last.

Sorting out final route, hotel and costs for the night today so will post more details ASAP.

I’m well pleased with the interest and uptake on this event!!

#ifyoubuildit-theywillcome

(“field of dreams” for those of you who have no idea what I’m talking about).

• Like 1

Just now, NothernDan said:

Awesome news Pete! Looking forward to meeting you st last.

Sorting out final route, hotel and costs for the night today so will post more details ASAP.

I’m well pleased with the interest and uptake on this event!!

#ifyoubuildit-theywillcome

(“field of dreams” for those of you who have no idea what I’m talking about).

By the way, @NothernDan, in which town/area will we book rooms? I might help and do some research online for good accommodation

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cezar B said:

By the way, @NothernDan, in which town/area will we book rooms? I might help and do some research online for good accommodation

Already on it mate. Just confirming a group rate with the lucky venue. Details going up soon 😃

• Like 2

F-up The Peaks & Dales Finalised route plan

Evening all!!

After yesterday’s recon mission and a few extra hours spent on Google maps I’ve finalised a route that takes in the best of the area and avoids too much civilization and/or roadworks. I’ll do a condensed printout of this for everyone on the day so we’ve all got something to follow if anybody ends up getting separated.

I’ve listed all the main locations and route planner below, broken down into the  4 ‘Legs’ of the journey. For reference a “(T)” means we go Through the place and a “(P)” means we go Past the place (genius!). As before, the route will definitely start at Lexus Derby on Saturday the 29th September (for both day trippers and overnighters) and will continue on Sunday the 30th September (for overnighters only) with the second day being an open agenda. On day two we can take in the best of the previous day, a load of new locations, go sightseeing, do any combination of the above or do as you wish!

The starting point address is as follows;

Lexus Derby – Orient Way, Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8BY – 01332 426 185 - This is on the North side of Derby but easily accessible via the M1 - A52 – it’s almost right on the A6, easy access for the first leg of the journey. We’ll meet there any time from 09:00 onwards on Saturday the 29th with a view to leaving as close as possible to 10:00 or 10:30 at the latest.

MAKE SURE YOUR TANK IS FULL WHEN YOU ARRIVE! – THIS WILL SAVE US A HUGE AMOUT OF TIME

Leg-1 – Lexus Derby to Matlock – roughly 25 miles taking about 45-60 minutes – ETA about 11:30 assuming a 10:30 departure from Lexus Derby

Lexus Derby - Start

Duffield (T)

Milford (T)

Belper (T)

Ambergate (T)

Whatstandwell (T)

Cromford (T)

Matlock Bath (T)

Matlock – Stop

As previously advised, when you get into Matlock it feels like you are driving past everything and heading out of the village but it's a big one way system and the main access point to the village is on the North Side.

Although quite early into the day I reckon we could easily stop at Matlock for half an hour for Bacon rolls and coffees and/or a toilet break or just blast on through to Buxton. We'll assess what people want to do on the day and take it from there.

For Leg-2, from Matlock, we’ll head on up the A6 towards Bakewell and onto Buxton as outlined below;

Leg-2 – Matlock to Buxton – roughly 25 miles taking about 45-60 minutes – ETA about 13:00 assuming a 12:00 departure from Matlock

Matlock – Start

Darley Dale (T)

Rowsley (T)

Bakewell (T)

Ashford in the Water (P)

Brushfield (P)

Taddington (P)

Blackwell (P)

King Sterndale (P)

Buxton - Stop

The route past Ashford in the Water has a good stretch of pretty open dual carriageway so you can stretch the legs on your beloved vehicles. We follow the A6 all the way from Matlock to Buxton so I doubt anyone will get lost on this stretch (famous last words). We should arrive in Buxton at about 13:00.

We’ll take a stop here for lunch so please do your bit here and take a look at Tripadvisor etc for any places you’d like to try (this research will also come in handy later on as you’ll see). At a very quick glance the Green Pavillion café and the Royal Oak Tavern both get good reviews. Again we can decide on the day where we go but let’s assume an hour and a half to stop here to fill up and buy Bakewell Tarts etc.

For Leg-3 from Buxton we’ll leave via the A6 again taking the route outlined below. This takes in some amazing scenery in the early part up to Hathersage then some good fast winding A-Roads, again through some pretty spectacular countryside between Hathersage and Ringinglow. No speed cameras along here either!! It looks like a lot of locations below but rest assured it’s roughly the same length as the first two legs.

Leg-3 – Buxton to the Ladybower Inn – roughly 30 miles taking about 60 minutes – ETA about 15:30 assuming a 14:30 departure from Buxton

Buxton – Start

Fairfield (T)

Dove Holes (T)

Then following the A6 towards Chapel-En-Le-Frith (P) before taking the A623 towards….

Sparrow Pit (T)

Then heading Towards Castleton past

Speedwell Cavern (P)

Peak Cavern (P)

Winnats Pass – We’ll drive down this, great scenery!

Castelton (T)

Hope (T)

Hathersage (T)

Hathersage Booths (T)

Ringinglow (T)

Left at the Norfolk Arms (P) past Mayfield Alpacas (no joke) along Fullwood Ln, Andwell Ln, Douse Croft Ln, Gore Ln, Harrison Ln, Blackburn Rd and Lodge Ln to…..

Rivelin (T) then West (left turn) onto the A57 (Snake Pass) towards Manchester

Ladybower Inn - Stop

It'll take us about an hour to do the route above from Buxton so we'll arrive at Ladybower Inn, overlooking Ladybower Reservoir, at about 15:30.

We should all be in convoy but if you hit the traffic lights at the corner of the reservoir you’ve gone slightly too far! The Inn is about 100 metres back up the road you’ve just come down.  You’ll easily spot The Inn on the right as the car park (on the left) will be full of F-Cars! Asbo Dave™ and I stopped here for lunch and it’s a perfect place for refreshments and toilet break before the last leg of the journey. Let’s take 45 minutes to an hour here before we head off.

For Leg-4, the final Leg before the overnight, we’ll be following the route below along the A57 (Snake Pass). After the recon mission yesterday I can confirm that whilst there are a few rougher sections on here, they all look recently filled and nothing to worry about. 90% of it is a good 8-9 out of 10 with even the roughest bits being a solid 7. Fear not Sean!

Leg-4 – Ladybower Inn to Buxton (via the Snake Pass and Glossop) – roughly 40 miles taking about 60 minutes – ETA at Buxton about 17:30 assuming a 16:30 departure from Ladybower Inn

Ladybower Inn – Start

All the way along the A57 towards Glossop

Glossop (T)

Left Turn at the Train station junction towards….

Charlestown (T)

Chunal (T)

Little Hayfield (T)

Hayfield (T)

Chinley Head (T)

New Smithy (T)

Chapel Milton (T)

Chapel-En-Le-Frith (P) before taking the A624 onto the A6 towards….

Doveholes (T)

Fairfield (T)

Buxton – Stop

So, we’ll end up right back in the heart of rural Derbyshire where we had lunch. Here’s where the research we all did (or are currently doing!) for the best places to eat at the end of Leg-2 will come in handy!

I’m guessing a few of the day-trippers may either miss the last leg entirely or potentially do the Snake Pass to Glossop before branching off to head onto the M6 and home (Dave and I did this yesterday).  Of course everyone is welcome to join the overnighters in Buxton where I am sure we can find a venue big enough to host us all for an evening meal before heading off home. We’re less than an hour from the M6 here via Glossop along the route we’ve just taken. I’ll leave it all up to you.

In Buxton, for the overnighters, there are a few decent hotels to choose from but given it’s not a huge place there is, as I’ve discovered, limited appetite for ‘group discount’ opportunities.

The Old hall Inn was my favourite option but there is a wedding there on the 29th and only two rooms left. Booooooo!

The Leewood Hotel (Best Western) gets equally good reviews and was actually recommended by the Old Hall Inn. Best price I can see online is £143 per room including breakfast but please let me know if you can find a cheaper one. They have 15 rooms left at the minute.

The slightly cheaper option is the Premier Inn (don’t judge!) which gets equally good reviews to the Leewood Hotel and to be honest actually looks pretty good (Not the Ritz but not the Sh@tz either). Having stayed in a few Premier Inns recently with work they have certainly upped their game of late.

It’s a bit further out of the town (10-15 minute walk) but given we will probably be ‘eating out’ then I don’t suppose it makes much difference. Best rate I can see here is £94 including breakfast, again please let me know if you can find a cheaper one. they seem to have plenty of rooms

Given that we know there is a wedding at Venue Numero Uno in Buxton I’d expect all local hotels to be busier than normal so please bear this in mind. Once we decide on the best venue I’d book it soon!

I’m starting a separate thread about the hotel for all overnighters so keep an eye out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Cezar B said:

Excellent job, @NothernDan:thumbup:

I will start looking for best accommodation deals 

All good Cezar, I see you’ve already checked out the other thread but do let me know if you find better prices or places . Always open for a good deal!

• Like 3

@NothernDan Sorry I’m a bit late to the party on this as am on holiday currently & signal has been a bit patchy. September is pretty packed with existing commitments so still need to check on my return, but boss thinks it’s clear for me to come out to play😉

Not sure if I’m a day tripper or overnighter at the mo, but think it would seem sensible to stay at the Premier Inn mentioned TBH, so will deal with this in the next few days.

Thanks for all your hard work organising this and hopefully look forward to joining on the 29th 👍🏻

I’m not on WhatsApp, but would be great to join the other members meeting at M25/jt18 for the trip up 🤞🏻.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DAW said:

@NothernDan Sorry I’m a bit late to the party on this as am on holiday currently & signal has been a bit patchy. September is pretty packed with existing commitments so still need to check on my return, but boss thinks it’s clear for me to come out to play😉

Not sure if I’m a day tripper or overnighter at the mo, but think it would seem sensible to stay at the Premier Inn mentioned TBH, so will deal with this in the next few days.

Thanks for all your hard work organising this and hopefully look forward to joining on the 29th 👍🏻

I’m not on WhatsApp, but would be great to join the other members meeting at M25/jt18 for the trip up 🤞🏻.

Looking forward to seeing you and meeting up with the rest at junction 18 on the M25! The more the merrier! :gora:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cezar B said:

Looking forward to seeing you and meeting up with the rest at junction 18 on the M25! The more the merrier! :gora:

Loving all these posts!

Don’t forget to pick me up at Newport Pagnell services on the M1 gents. It’s after junction 14 but before junction 13. It’s the one with the mahoosive salt bin on the northbound carriageway side. There’s no’s sign to say Newport Pagnell services on the northbound side though so you’ll have to be on full alert not to drive past it! 😲

Ill drop you a text on my electrical telephone device on the day a Cezar! 😜

• Like 1

Just now, NothernDan said:

Loving all these posts!

Don’t forget to pick me up at Newport Pagnell services on the M1 gents. It’s after junction 14 but before junction 13. It’s the one with the mahoosive salt bin on the northbound carriageway side. There’s no’s sign to say Newport Pagnell services on the northbound side though so you’ll have to be on full alert not to drive past it! 😲

Ill drop you a text on my electrical telephone device on the day a Cezar! 😜

Don’t worry, matey! I won’t leave you there all by yourself... got your earplugs ready too 😂

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Arqum said:

im feeling a bit left out with my standard ISF.......

Doesn’t matter you have an F -  which makes you part of a very exclusive club of enlightened people 😉😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Arqum said:

im feeling a bit left out with my standard ISF.......

Don’t worry, it’s only taken 3-1/2 years to take the plung with the bag pipes, hopefully there will be loads of sound tracks to listen to before u take the plunge, I’ve opted to keep the rear tips so it won’t notice that’s it’s been changed, mine is also the first for the company so who knows what it’ll be like 😳.......time will tell 👍🏻

• Like 4

@Womble72 Paul is right to do the exhaust I know I'm always banging on - pun intended- about exhausts and so is @DAW these are great cars all of them but they are marketed as performance cars ! 

So they need the noise to put the cherry on the cake 🎂 

🐀

• Like 2

Just now, Big Rat said:

@Womble72 Paul is right to do the exhaust I know I'm always banging on - pun intended- about exhausts and so is @DAW these are great cars all of them but they are marketed as performance cars ! 

So they need the noise to put the cherry on the cake 🎂 

🐀

You start with “the noise”... wheels are next... custom suspension... maybe air suspension? Next? Some wheel spacers... body kit... supercharger..., etc 

Next... divorce... happy alone... not alone... with de Lex F 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Womble72 said:

Don’t worry, it’s only taken 3-1/2 years to take the plung with the bag pipes, hopefully there will be loads of sound tracks to listen to before u take the plunge, I’ve opted to keep the rear tips so it won’t notice that’s it’s been changed, mine is also the first for the company so who knows what it’ll be like 😳.......time will tell 👍🏻

I waited so long I changed cars while I was  talking to warranty about a H&S for my ISF. - which was slightly embarrassing 😂.  

Took me 4 years but was determined not to make the same mistake with the RCF. Better late than never I suppose😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I sometimes think if I'd gone for the exhaust with my isF in the beginning I'd still have it, something like the system that @emjay82 has on his car, sorry I don't have a vid of it but if he's reading this........

🐀

• Like 4