Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wax / polish / PTFE?

Ernie1

Hi all

I’m collecting a new IS300h (my first Lexus!) soon. (Excited face!)

Of course I want to protect the beautiful paintwork and wheels as much as I can but I’m confused by all of the different products available - waxes / polishes / PTFE etc.  It seems from what I have read that waxes can actually attract dirt, and polishes cut the top layer of paint away. Neither of which sounds like the right plan. 

I’d be grateful to hear of others’ experiences / recommendations to keep these beautiful cars looking their absolute best as part of a regular washing regime. 

Thanks

• Like 1

Don't go PTFE way - if you have any dent or scratch in needs of paint, or try to paint bumper, fender, etc., it will be very very difficult to work on it properly.

I think a little polish and some wax is easy and safe bet, expecially for long ride. BTW even if "wax attracts the dirt" the point is the dirt stays on wax, not on varnish, and it is easier to "wash" all and to wax again, than play with supardupar nano-shamano coatings.

• Like 1

First of all, even though it's brand new, it doesn't mean that the paintwork is perfect. Many people pick up their cars from the showroom and drive them straight to a car detailer to have the paintwork corrected to be the best it possibly can be and then protect it from there.

If you can't or don't want to do that, then I do firmly believe in the old adage of 'horses for courses' so I would at least go to a good, reputable detailer to ask for their advice. There are so many products out there that it's a complete minefield but professional detailers are the ones doing it all day, every day and making a living out of it, so I'd tend to trust their judgement and advice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Herbie said:

Many people pick up their cars from the showroom and drive them straight to a car detailer to have the paintwork corrected to be the best it possibly can be and then protect it from there.

Never heard of that being done.  You'd have to ultra  precious about how your car looks. ?

Never heard of that being done.  You'd have to ultra  precious about how your car looks. ?
Quite common now as they can get the car sorted from the outset with decent protection and any issues with the car resolved. I prefer to look after my car to the best standard I can get it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi all
I’m collecting a new IS300h (my first Lexus!) soon. (Excited face!)
Of course I want to protect the beautiful paintwork and wheels as much as I can but I’m confused by all of the different products available - waxes / polishes / PTFE etc.  It seems from what I have read that waxes can actually attract dirt, and polishes cut the top layer of paint away. Neither of which sounds like the right plan. 
I’d be grateful to hear of others’ experiences / recommendations to keep these beautiful cars looking their absolute best as part of a regular washing regime. 
Thanks
Congratulations on your new car. You do have a few options in that you can maintain your car yourself or get a detailer to sort it but depends on what you want to spend.

The days of a bucket and sponge have long since passed and there are now so many optionsit can get confusing if you've never done it before. I would have thought for a few hundred quid you can get some basic equipment that will last you for a long time and will keep your pride and joy looking good

Yes detailing the new cars are now very common practice, I said to myself that if I would buy a new car I would put protective film at very least on front bumper and bonnet, but maybe even entire car, because stone chips will ruin it very quickly.

As for good vaxes etc. I think you need to decide for yourself - either you are planning to detail your car yourself and you get all the tools, vaxes, polishes etc. or you don't and you leave it to professional detailers once or twice a year. Half-a*** approach of slapping some cheap supermarket wax after £6 romanian hand wash adds nothing except of "love marks". 

I have used 'Chemical Guys' blacklight for several years on a number of different cars. easy to apply and gives great beading. lasts well too. after the car is washed I spritz it with 'Chemical Guys Hybrid V70'.  People are always commenting on how good my cars look and I am driving them 500 miles every week.

PTFE is actually a bit of a con. Most waxes that say PTFE don't have much in it whatsoever. This is because PTFE doesn't actually stick to car paint....

If you're just starting out, ideally you'd be better off with a mild hand polish such as Autoglym Super Resin Polish or Britemax Blackmax and a wax/sealant of your choice. A good option would be Bilt Hamber Double speed wax. 

I wouldn't get caught up in whether they attract dust or whatever. You're unlikely to notice.

I also wouldn't be concerned about "shine". It's very difficult to tell between one or the other unless you get identical cars next to each other in the same colour with the same prep and different waxes.

Rule of thumb tends to be : light colours go for sealants and warm colours/dark colours go for a wax.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rayaans said:

This is because PTFE doesn't actually stick to car paint...

True, but if it really is in the wax/fluid it could residue in some parts (inner edges, etc.). Same with silicone agents in polishing fluids etc. And next if you have to, or try to, respray affected parts, even after heavy use of very aggresive solvents on very solid preparation, could be very nasty suprise.

BTDT once or twice, worst case was spare bonnet I only TESTED some polishing agent in part of the bonnet. Next after year or more I used this bonnet in the project. I use proper solvents, and proper preparation, spray, and you have perfectly seen where was "test area", so again, sanding, solvents, spray, better result, but not ideal. I have given up (and was out of paint leftovers, it was full car respray) after third spray, still affected area was a visible a bit...

Thanks all for your helpful comments / advice.

Have decided to do it myself with double speed wax after an appropriate car shampoo. A little and often. 

Looking forward to it!

Thanks all for your helpful comments / advice.
Have decided to do it myself with double speed wax after an appropriate car shampoo. A little and often. 
Looking forward to it!

Get Bilt Hamber auto wash as it lasts for ages and cleans brilliantly. I clean mine quite often and it lasted me about 6 months. Wax safe as well.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links