Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Squeaking in Low Speed

10 hours ago, arashtrip said:

Just an update which is somehow related to your reply. The car was serviced today and they told me that the rear pads were stuck in the career and it was the reason for the noise. They removed them, cleaned them and greased them. The noise was not there for about 50miles but it came back after. It maybe better now but the noise is there. The fact that the noise disappeared because of the greasing may prove the problem is from the brake pads. I still do not know why then I even heard it at high speeds.

So, maybe the best solution is to change the pads with non-genuine ones. Any ideas?

What exactly was 'greased, I wonder? Pins?

6 minutes ago, arashtrip said:

they told me they greased the pads and I can see the grease on the rear wheels.

I'm no expert... sounds odd though.

Perhaps someone else who knows brakes better than me has a view?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just took car in for the fourth time same issue. Got told this morning it was a known fault due to the type of brake pad they use especially in hot weather. This used to happen to my mates rcf aswell ( he bought aftermarket pads and cured). It seems LEXUS have changed the pad compound for the RCF & GS models but are not doing the same for the other models. At the main dealer i took it to they said they have four or five customers with same issue and they bring it back every year or so with same fault. Bloody joke that, Absolutely sub standard service for a so called PRESTIGE MAKE. I am not enjoying my car at all tbh only bought it in March. MIght go to a solicitor and find out where i stand for money back as they knew it was a fault on the vehicle when they sold it to me.Let's see how it goes they say they are changing front disc and pads today.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2019 at 9:21 PM, arashtrip said:

Just an update which is somehow related to your reply. The car was serviced today and they told me that the rear pads were stuck in the career and it was the reason for the noise. They removed them, cleaned them and greased them. The noise was not there for about 50miles but it came back after. It maybe better now but the noise is there. The fact that the noise disappeared because of the greasing may prove the problem is from the brake pads. I still do not know why then I even heard it at high speeds.

So, maybe the best solution is to change the pads with non-genuine ones. Any ideas?

So it sounds like they have greased the backs of the pads, where they make contact with the piston and calliper, this normally cures the issue. The face that 50 miles later the noise it back makes me think that your calliper sliders are starting to seize, Toyota/Lexus are notorious for this, even low mileage vehicles.

If the slider is seizing then the pad isn't moving away from the disc enough when the brake is released, a slider repair kit is about £15 per side (APEC kits) plus the cost of labour. From experience if your doing one side you may as well do both.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I am also having this problem with my IS 300. It squeaks at lower speeds, loudly and irritatingly to such a degree that people look at the car as it passes. I note that there is a lot of discussion about brakes. I have been monitoring my squeak and it happens randomly but regularly mid drive without an application of the brakes. It doesn’t get worse or louder when the brakes are applied. It has turned what should be a great car into something that sounds as if it’s an old banger. I am considering getting rid of it unless someone can suggest a    fix!

My 2014 has the same noice. Originally I thought it’s the brake and didn’t pay too much attention about it, but recently I think it’s independent from the brake and more like random. I can hear it in low speed, I guess it still exists in high speed but just being covered by other sound. Also the noice only coming from the rear, not the front, I guess IS300h has quite a front brake bias so that doesn’t make sense to me.

I suspect it’s the bushing or suspension related, because the face lift in 2017 also upgrades the bushing (harder rubber) on the rear suspension. I’m planning to upgrade my suspension in next year, replacing the complete front suspension with 2017 model (aluminium lower front arm from 2017, plus new shock design), and all the small bit in the rear (different bushing / shock from 2017). I think by then I’ll have a clue what’s the real problem.

Also, the 4wd IS350 seems to have a complete different front suspension (with front driver of course), both upper and lower arm seems to be made from aluminium. I’m wondering will that be possible to retro-fit to IS300h?