Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

EV mode not working properly

Well, maybe.

I've seen a few people on this forum recommend having the car in EV mode if you're parked up for a while and wanting to listen to the radio, so that the engine will automatically fire up to charge the traction Battery when necessary and avoid it getting too low in charge.

When I tried that earlier today, I was happily listening to Planet Rock and I heard a bleep and got the message on the multi-function display that "EV mode deactivated due to low battery" then about 5 minutes later the engine fired up to charge the Battery (from purple bar to 3 blue bars).

At least I know that the engine will fire up when needed but why did it deactivate EV mode, especially when other people specifically suggested having the car in EV mode for that very situation?

If it didn't deactivate EV mode you would be stuck because the traction batteries as I understand it are the ones that start the petrol engine. I never force EV mode when parked as the car won't start petrol engine until batteries are depleted. 

• Like 1

When parked up listening to the radio etc. leave the car in Ready mode, if you force EV mode by pressing the EV button you are telling the car not to start the ICE. It will, as you found out, automatically cancel EV  mode on traction Battery voltage.

• Like 2

As above, you need to be in 'Ready' mode when parked up, not necessarily EV mode. If you are just on the ignition then you deplete the 12v aux lead acid Battery, when in Ready, the hybrid Battery provides all the power and charges up the 12v aux Battery. Because the 12v Battery isn't used to start the engine it is smaller than a normal car and therefore doesn't last as long on ignition to power the audio system etc.

Whether you are in EV or not, if the hybrid Battery gets low the petrol engine will start to allow the Battery to be recharged. Once charged to about 1/4 the petrol engine will turn off again and this process will keep repeating.

• Like 1

As others have already stated you do not need the car in EV mode. However it is important that the car when put into ready mode it is not in neutral. The engine cannot start in neutral, and therefore cannot recharge the HV Battery that in turn will not be able to charge the 12 volt Battery if the HV Battery becomes discharged. It then becomes impossible to start the car.

It can start in any gear, and park, but obviously it would be dangerous to leave it in gear.

John

• Like 1