Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2018 RX, Sequential Indicators?

Followed an Audi home this pm, the indicators all but disappeared when the brake lights illuminated. Far too thin and were swamped by the twin brake light LED strings...

Sweeping didn't improve the visibility. I hope the ones on the RX are more obvious in all conditions.

I'm not convinced they make things any safer. The Mrs likes the Audis and as the RX passed us last week on the A27 I pointed out the indicators.

A Lexus with posy indicators?.... she's sold! The rest of it could be rubbish (like an Audi) but it has those indicators....

I did think they were an Audi trademarked thing though, or at least VAG, so limited to VW, Porsche, Audi & Seat. I hope Lexus aren't paying them money in royalties, or taking pointers on gearbox manufacture. :-)

Actually I suspect the "dynamic" lighting systems will become more an more complicated, just because they can. I have seen rear light designs in the pipeline that use a multi-LED matrix as in the big-screen TVs at events. They can effectively display any colour and any brightness, so you can configure them to display anything. Manufacturer logos on unlocking, displaying STOP! in bright red to get the message across, moving amber chevrons for turn signals, etc. Of course I assume blue and green will not be available without special programming.

2 hours ago, Delphius1 said:

I did think they were an Audi trademarked thing though, or at least VAG, so limited to VW, Porsche, Audi & Seat. I hope Lexus aren't paying them money in royalties,

How can you trademark a light?

Anyone with a soldering iron and a bit of electronics knowledge can knock up the same thing in their garage. I made a sweeping/sequential amber light for a display stand a few months ago myself, but I doubt Audi will be after me  :laughing:

22 minutes ago, malcolmw said:

Yes, I had these on my 4RX Premier. A bit pointless really and just a fad..

I beg to differ. I suppose it depends on how big and bright the other lights around it are but I find that they tend to grab your attention faster, plus I just really like the look of them.

The rear ones grab a lot of attention because they aren't the usual Audi rubbish which is just a line moving across 

And I like how the front DRLs stay on whilst the indicators are on. In other cars you see the DRLs go dim and the look is just awful. 

• Like 1

Pet peeve of mine. First time I saw them on an A8 I thought they were ridiculous and imagined them all frothing with excitement over on Audi Sport as they fit them to their 8P A3s.

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Yes they are much better than the Audi version. The rears do end in a traditional type indicator.

I'm not seeing how the DRLs are remaining on though?

Think it might be because car is in P so they're not on. 

This video shows how the DRLs are actually a separate LED strip to the indicators. Most vehicles just use the same strip for DRLs and indicators

DRLs should be on even in park, thought they were on as soon as the car is Ready/IGN on. Pretty sure mine are.

In the second video, the front indicators are less visible than those in the first video.

I was under the impression that the DRLs should go off when indicators were on? EU regulations?

14 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

DRLs should be on even in park, thought they were on as soon as the car is Ready/IGN on. Pretty sure mine are.

In the second video, the front indicators are less visible than those in the first video.

I was under the impression that the DRLs should go off when indicators were on? EU regulations?

Must be related to Parking brake then. Our IS DRLs turn on when the footbrake is released and I think its probably the same with the RX. They turn on at night when unlocked.

DRLs are usually on but go dimmer - the RX ones remain the same brightness. Same with the facelifted NX

3 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Is it that the functionality changes when DRLs are also the positional/side lights?

Not on the Lexus models. But on VAG group for example, the DRLs go way dimmer on one side when the indicator is flashing on that side. 

DRL activate automatically when the engine is started and remain on unless the headlamps are switched on. They may however remain off in some low speed and stationary situations. In general all other lights should remain off when the DRL are on but for a limited period some vehicles may be available which automatically activate the rear position lamps at the same time as the DRL.

DRL may be combined with other lamps. For example some manufacturers use the same lamp for both the DRL and position lamp. In these cases the DRL automatically dims to function as a lower intensity position lamp when the headlamps are turned on.DRL placed close to direction indicators may also automatically dim when the direction indicator is active. This is to ensure that the direction indicator is not masked by the light from the DRL.

The above is taken from https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/daytime-running-lights/daytime-running-lights

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Herbie said:

There are a lot of "may do this" and "may do that" in that article.

So technically, the car companies "may do" as they please by the looks of how to integrate DRLs and indicators into their headlight units

• 2 weeks later...

On the NX, the DRLs switch on when the car is taken out of Park. However, once on, they remain on until the car is switched off.

When indicating, the relevant DRL switches off altogether until the indicators are cancelled. Personally, I think this is a good idea because it makes the indicators more visible.

The facelifted NX has sequential indicators back and front. Bit of a gimmick at the back, given that the indicator lights are rather short!

9 hours ago, DanD said:

On the NX, the DRLs switch on when the car is taken out of Park. However, once on, they remain on until the car is switched off.

When indicating, the relevant DRL switches off altogether until the indicators are cancelled. Personally, I think this is a good idea because it makes the indicators more visible.

The facelifted NX has sequential indicators back and front. Bit of a gimmick at the back, given that the indicator lights are rather short!

Yep the IS is certainly the same. I've not paid attention to the RX ones but I presume they're also the same.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links