Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

rx400h mileage question

I am new to the Lexus never having had one before and usually buy new cars on a lease deal over 3/4 years but we are going to France for a couple of years and are looking to buy a left hand drive.

I have found a 2006 rx400h that has full service history but 116,000 on the clock. Reading some posts on the forum, it seems that high mileage is not a great concern for Lexus owners, even seems some wear a high mileage badge with pride.

My question; is 116,000 over 12 years acceptable for this car, working out just over 13,000 a year which to me is on the high side. If I buy it, what should I be expecting to replace soon or look at when getting it checked out?

Any other advice regarding this vehicle and its age is very much appreciated. Have to say the car looks fantastic.

Many thanks.

I've always taken "average mileage" to be 12,000/year but some folks these days say 10,000. Either way, that car is still below average mileage and will go on for many, many more miles yet.

I'm not sure if that engine has a timing belt or timing chain but if it's a belt they should be replaced at 100,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. If it's not been done, maybe use that as a bargaining chip on price.

I think you should also be able to get a hybrid health check done at any Lexus dealer for about £60. The car may be too old to get a hybrid warranty but at least a good health check result should put your mind at rest about the hybrid system at least.

Other than that, just enjoy.

• Like 1

Many thanks Herbie,

I will definitely look through the service history for any new timing belts and reading more today I also would like to find out about the Battery.

I think getting a Lexus health check is a good idea. I was planning to get an AA check before I handed over my money anyway.

Overall I get the feeling the car has a very good life expectancy if it is looked after correctly.

Thanks.

• Like 2

Hi. If the car looks like it's been looked after, you know what I mean, and there is some Lexus service history and it drives as you expect (if not better) then go for it. I'm guessing it's not from a Lexus dealer but giving it them to service and check it won't do any harm  (except your wallet but worth it).

I think the 400h is a 3.0 litre V6 (correct me if I'm wrong ) but still the Toyota derived V6 is a stonker of an engine and at 116k miles is nearly run in.

• Like 1

I bought my 2008 RX400H in July with 100700 on the clock.  As part of the deal I had the dealership replace the timing belt AND waterpump as this had not been done at the previous service (98K) and they also completed a Hybrid Health Check.  I've been advised by the dealership that lexus will only carry out a hybrid check if you get the car serviced by them - possibly someone can correct me on this.....

It is a fantastic car and you will not be disappointed.

• Like 1

My daughters 2008 Rx400h was sold with 145000 on the clock, which if you did not know about it you would think was low mileage, very little sign of wear. They are amazing vehicles.......but it was regularly serviced as per the schedule. They had the Battery health check done each year, no probs at all. If the one you want has been properly maintained, and I do think a higher annual mileage is better, then I think you should be ok. Good luck and enjoy France, Roger

• Like 1

Thanks both latest replies.

The car I am buying has a full Lexus service history and I even phoned the dealership where the last few services were done and they gave me some info on their knowledge of the car. They suggest a new cam belt and rear brakes in a few thousand miles may be needed but I am going to get it serviced and a health check when I get it. The last health check was last October.

The test drive went well and it does drive very nicely with the leather seats being about as comfortable a seat as I have ever sat in. Its also my first automatic car.

Is the sat nav in your cars still useable being an old version and not updated like a Tom Tom that I already have? Also does it have Western Europe as standard or would I need to get an updated disk?

Thanks.

Forget the integrated satnav and stick with your TomTom - the integrated ones are very clunky, outdated and very, very poor compared to the TomTom.

I think your satnav will be the same as my old 2005 RX300 in the sense that the maps are DVD-based, so no way to input your own POIs, speed cam warnings, or anything else. You can't even input a full UK postcode when trying to plot a route.

Again, I'm not familiar with the engine in that model but it sounds like it does have a cam belt rather than a chain, so I strongly suggest that you also have the water pump replaced at the same time as the belt. The reason for this is that a lot of cars, the RX300 included, have the water pump situated in the same area as the belt. Just plucking a figure out of the air as an example, if replacing the belt costs £350 then changing the water pump at the same time will add maybe £50 to the bill. However, if you have it done later, replacing the pump could cost you another £300 on its own because almost all the work done to change the belt will have to be done again to change the pump.

Thanks Herbie, I probably will use my Tom Tom yes.

I am going to call Lexus today about the cam belt. Your estimate out of the air of £350 for the cam belt was exactly what a dealer suggested it would be when I asked earlier in the week. I also thought this didn't sound expensive. He also suggested about £200 for the rear brake pads.

Thanks.

41 minutes ago, Ianianian said:

I also meant to ask, is there any way in your 2005 model to bluetooth your phone to use whilst driving or anyway to plugin an ipod somehow for music?

Cheers.

Sadly not, not directly anyway. Bluetooth works for phone calls but not for music, but there are various adapters and aftermarket units out there to allow you to plug in an iPod etc., etc., it's just a matter of how much money you want to throw at it. Now that we have a 450h rather than the 300, thankfully it works straight from the factory.

Just a final point about your cam belt - if you let Lexus do it, the price they give you is purely to replace the belt; they don't include the idler/tensioner/pulley so you have to pay extra if you want those changed as well. Most independent garages I've used in the past tend to replace the lot and buy in the new parts as a kit.

Thanks Herbie that's good info regards the other parts. Sounds a bit odd they wouldn't do the full job with the other parts but will see when I get mine and book it in at the garage.

One more question, do all 2006 rx400h SE have a sunroof or moonroof? The garage I am buying from has taken my car off their website now so I cannot see the details and can't remember if it had or not, even though I have taken it for a test drive 🙂

Sorry Ian, I don't know about the sun/moonroof. I've never had a 400h so I never really researched into them very much.

To be honest, although almost all of my cars have had a sun or moon roof, including our current one, I don't particularly like them and never use them, preferring instead to use the climate control all year round.

On 8/17/2018 at 8:58 AM, Herbie said:

Forget the integrated satnav and stick with your TomTom - the integrated ones are very clunky, outdated and very, very poor compared to the TomTom.

I think your satnav will be the same as my old 2005 RX300 in the sense that the maps are DVD-based, so no way to input your own POIs, speed cam warnings, or anything else. You can't even input a full UK postcode when trying to plot a route.

Again, I'm not familiar with the engine in that model but it sounds like it does have a cam belt rather than a chain, so I strongly suggest that you also have the water pump replaced at the same time as the belt. The reason for this is that a lot of cars, the RX300 included, have the water pump situated in the same area as the belt. Just plucking a figure out of the air as an example, if replacing the belt costs £350 then changing the water pump at the same time will add maybe £50 to the bill. However, if you have it done later, replacing the pump could cost you another £300 on its own because almost all the work done to change the belt will have to be done again to change the pump.

I travel to the continent at least a couple of times each year, and I have never experienced any issue with the RX400h satnav while there (and later the RX450h and NX300h version). I never found not being able to enter a full UK postcode a big hardship... which, incidentally, is irrelevant in this case.

I agree that Lexus' satnav are not the most intuitive, but if you take the time to play around with it, it is very reliable.

1 hour ago, DanD said:

I agree that Lexus' satnav are not the most intuitive, but if you take the time to play around with it, it is very reliable.

But why take the time? Life's too short - as the old adage goes, 'you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear'.

You'll never be able to input your own POIs no matter how much time you dedicate to it, or how good you think it is. You'll never be able to install a speedcam database and you'll never be able to do a whole host of other things that you could do easily with a TomTom, Garmin or other standalone satnav, or even a phone using Google Maps or some other map app.

My TomTom sat in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen, very unobtrusively, even the wire was hidden by being pushed into the door rubber. The inbuilt satnav was a great rolling screensaver but not very good as a navigation device.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The satnav is indeed bobbins - i use my phone in a holder in the bottom right of the screen with a permanently installed charge cable running under the floor mat and up the door seal. 

at 100k miles the following should already have been done 

80k - spark plugs 

100k - timing belt.

these are the big ticket items and if they have not been done or cannot be verified as being done then they are definite bargaining points. Note lexus' fixed prices are ok unless you need the water pump doing as well in which case it suddenly gets very expensive.

Hybrid health check is worth doing if you get the extended warranty.

Other than that it's only normal things that can start failing at that mileage... exhaust, radiator, bushes, suspension, cv boots, etc. all being the luck of the draw regarding rust and prior road debris damage.

The 400h will eat brakes and tyres if you are 'enthusiastic' in your driving, it's heavy old lump but can build speed quite rapidly, learn to find the point where regen braking ends and mechanical braking begins and brake early enough to keep it in the regen zone. Better MPG and longer lasting tyres and brakes are the reward.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links