Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Flat battery - surprising

In the last couple of weeks my IS has struggled to start a few times and today it gave up! At 2.5 years and 22,250 miles a new Battery seems a bit premature! No lights have been left on or anything else. My wife only drives 6 miles a day (for the last couple of months) - would a lack of spirited driving be the cause? Also does anyone know if it would be a warranty thing? Thanks!

I doubt warranty would cover it unless proven to be due to a Battery drain fault. Would need to go on diagnostic to check.

6 miles a day just isn't enough miles to recharge the Battery. Try putting it on a maintenance charger overnight, CTEK come highly recommended. Either that or go to a good long drive at the weekends.

I'd recommend a CTEK MXS 5.0, I use this on my Is300h.

It comes with one of these too, giving easy access to the Battery. Saves pulling the Battery panel off in the boot, and connecting to both terminals each time you need a charge.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/battery-chargers-jump-starters/ctek-comfort-connect-eyelet-m8

It's good to keep the Battery topped up regularly, especially as it's so small and your mileage is limited.

@Britprius was very helpful in giving me advice before I purchased one of these.

Hey, this used to happen to me as I only used to drive my car once a week, it stopped once i started driving more often I think you might have to give the car a bit more of a drive

3 minutes ago, Hadrian said:

Have you checked the voltage on the battery with the engine running ?

It should be about 14 volts (if it's like any other car)

With hybrid cars the engine does not have to be running for the 12 volt Battery to be on charge. All that is required is that it is in ready mode. 

The hybrids do not have an alternator because at any given time the engine may not be running to drive an alternator. The 12 volt Battery is charge via a step down DC to DC invertor from the high voltage traction Battery.

John.

If you keep the remote key near your car, the system is somewhat awake and there is more current so that the Battery could be discharged after some days, so the suggestion to keep charge with a C-tek is valid, but it is a good suggestion to have keys far away.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies; booked in today so it will be interesting to hear what they say. This never happened on my old shape (s) and these had original batteries over 5 years old. I think it might be to do with my pattern on driving going from spirited and more weekly mileage to my wife not going above 40mph doing 6 miles a day- perhaps even batteries learn ones driving styles?! 

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

Don't agree with short trips killing the battery.

Ours is 5 years old now with 17k miles and the battery is OK.  Probably only does about 4 miles per day and maybe 10-20 on weekends

Is this with a hybrid? I'd say that's exactly what hybrids are good for, short journeys. But not a normal ICE model, short trips never give the alternator chance to recharge the Battery.

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Is this with a hybrid? I'd say that's exactly what hybrids are good for, short journeys. But not a normal ICE model, short trips never give the alternator chance to recharge the battery.

Yes ours is the 300h but it was the same with our previous car (Merc C220) which was on original batteries even after 10 years

Of my 25 car history 3 of which were/is lexus hybrid the others had a mixed history with batteries. My trips were short but not as short as yours Dominic. It sounds like the Battery didn't stand a chance. More was taken from it than given. Plus possibly it wasn't 100% when new.

Thanks for all comments. Took the car to the dealer who said the Battery wasn't too low but only in average health! I had to drive it on the A3 for around 10 miles to get to the dealer so this probably made it charge somewhat. It was replaced without question for free, as was the remote Battery and it was washed and hoovered. A shame the Battery was a grey Toyota one but you can't have everything lol. In all seriousness I am extremely impressed with Lexus service! I very much doubt Audi would even come close.