Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have just recently become the owner of a 2003 LS430,great car with one or two niggles my main one at the moment is that the sat nav is not working, the screen shows "unable to read data. Check if map DVD is correct. "

Let me explain I bought the car privately from a wheeler dealer fellow who got the car at auction, he gave me the DVD he got with the car, it says 2003 on the DVD but when I put it in the drive although it whirls up as if loading I get the message on screen, I have checked the DVD in my laptop and it seems to read all the files correctly. So my question is where do I go next? Are there codes or routines I need to go through to reset the screen! Or is there any other module I need to check.

Any help or advice would be great

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thankyou all for responding to my call for help. Let me expand on what I have done so far.
I have had the DVD unit out of the vehicle to check for damage and function, so that should have disconnected any fuses and electrical connection's. I have made sure the disc is in the right way up, that is shiny side down with label up. I cannot tell if it is the correct disc, it's the only one I have. Would a photo help? If so I will take out the disc and take a snap.
One other thing there doesn't seem to be any power to the multi change CD unit, could this be a clue to my problem? Although the tape and radio work.
I have checked all the fuses since purchase and the only blown one I found was to the cigar lighter, due to being stuffed full of junk (silver paper etc.)
Oh also I have tried inserting disc under various conditions, engine running, not running, ignition off/on.
Although I am not desperate for sat nav, it would be nice to have, as there may be other functions come to light eg. service reminder etc.

9 minutes ago, Pidster said:

No the DVD goes in the boot DVD drive. CD'S would go in the multiple cd drive if I could get it powered up

Is there any way that you can contact the previous owner to seek clarification as to what he/others may have done ?

To royoftherovers. Not really able to find that out, the guy I bought the car from gave me the DVD in an envelope and when I asked him about it he said that was how it came from the auction house. Although I do have the name and address of the original owner from new, I feel a bit cheeky contacting him. Data protection and all that!

• Like 1

there's a more worrying issue that you might like to consider having effectively bought your fabulous car through the auction

that is:  Has the radiator been changed  ?  to prevent the gearbox water ingress issues 

If you know all about the idiosyncracies of the Ls430 then i apologise upfront for mentioning this.

Malc

the fact that the system comes up with unable to read disc means that the system is at least working,otherwise you wouldn't get anything. I had a similar situation years ago with my IS200 when I bought a disc off the bay and it turned out to be the wrong 👎 one ,as it came up with the unable to read message. As soon as I got the right one it worked okay and did for 8 years as sold car last year 

there's a more worrying issue that you might like to consider having effectively bought your fabulous car through the auction
that is:  Has the radiator been changed  ?  to prevent the gearbox water ingress issues 
If you know all about the idiosyncracies of the Ls430 then i apologise upfront for mentioning this.
Malc
I am aware of this possible problem in fact the lower fins on the radiator are degraded quite a bit the outlet couplings to the transmission look good though.
I'm considering which way to jump, As I only live a few miles down the road from Tony Frost , it might be a good condition radiator v's oil cooler modification. But not necessarily both.

13 minutes ago, Pidster said:

Malc
I am aware of this possible problem in fact the lower fins on the radiator are degraded quite a bit the outlet couplings to the transmission look good though.
I'm considering which way to jump, As I only live a few miles down the road from Tony Frost , it might be a good condition radiator v's oil cooler modification. But not necessarily both.

Have you got a dealer near you?  If so it may be worth asking them if the disk is correct, or emailing them a photo of it.  Having done two LS430 radiators I would do it again rather than the cooler, it's such an easy job.  The main thing at this stage is that your connections look rust free.  How about some photos of your new steed?

Around 2003 there were a number of different versions of DVDs around.  I remember buying the wrong DVD for my old IS200 (2001 model).  The error message you describe is the same as what I remember from all those years ago.

If you could post a photo of the DVD you have and a photo of the startup screen (the one that says "I agree") I might be able to work out if the disc is correct and which one you would need if it is wrong.  I have a spare DVD here which I'm happy to send to you, but I think it might be from a newer system.

I am not an expert on Lexus DVDs, but in my 2002 car there is this DVD and it works fine, with original DVD drive and panel I think. IIRC it is a last or near last (like a months to last) possible upgrade for this epoch lexus satnav. Just an info.

edit: I found again the website I used to investigate subject, there is pretty good search engine for "what do you have in your lexus, and what is going on" (but not a good prices...), mine satnav is described as Generation 01 by this website:

https://www.lexus-mapupdates.eu

navi_DVD.thumb.jpg.4ad32e3e2ade534b688cded3e3a8a7b9.jpg

Graham, based on the DVD photo you've supplied I think it is a disc for a Gen 01 system.  However there is a chance (being a 2003 car) that your system may be a Gen 03. (the ver 2002 that you mention printed on the DVD relates to the date the maps were created)

I have a spare Gen 03/05 DVD at home (with 2012 map data on) that I'm happy to send to you if you want to try it.  If you are interested send me a private message with your address and I'll stick it in the post.

As an aside, do you get the disclaimer screen at all when you boot up the system?  If so, from the picture I've attached which colour pattern do you get?

1030256511_Screenshot2018-08-1714_13_54.png.0664e4d27da411a43e9522357f1eece5.png

hi Pidster i think your sat nav is a generation 1,if you visit the Lexus map update and enter your disc numbers it comes up with part number PZ445-X01EU-11 - the X01 referring to the generation and the eu11 referring to the year of the update which in this case is 2011.The two discs in the photos above are both generation 1 sat nav discs.

54 minutes ago, Clunkfish said:

The disc has "Stationery" (in HMSO) misspelled as "Stationary". Perhaps they're all like that, but it does look a bit dodgy....

I have a set of original navigation disks supplied with my Prius when new, and these also have the spelling as "stationary".

John.

Pobrown, I received the disc you sent me through the post. A very big thumbs up for that, much appreciated. But sad to say no joy still getting the message unable to read data. So I'm going to have one more go at cleaning the laser lense before calling it a day, and accepting that I don't have sat nav, other than on a stand alone unit.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk