Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Could this LS be worth a punt?

That's no velour. It's wool! Seen as the higher option in Japan than leather. Cool in summer warmer in winter. I drove an imported 1996 celcior with it in a few years back. It's lovely stuff. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ben01 said:

I like the velour too! BTW what is this "remote" with cable at rear armrest controls??

I don't know to be honest!  I think I'll phone today for some info.

10 hours ago, Matt1986 said:

That's no velour. It's wool!

True, I forgot this! most of Century and many Celsiors and Crowns were with wool option. Japanese are mental about wool in cars, not only for warm/cool feeling, but it is quiet compare to a leather... and this is I call luxury approach 😉

12 hours ago, Matt1986 said:

That's no velour. It's wool! Seen as the higher option in Japan than leather. Cool in summer warmer in winter. I drove an imported 1996 celcior with it in a few years back. It's lovely stuff. 

Reasons why not to buy leather

https://www.thrillist.com/cars/reasons-to-never-get-leather-seats-in-your-car

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Reasons why not to buy leather

Amen. Plus - typical automotive leather now, even top grade, is "ANY leather softened according to PO budget, very "smart" dyed, and next coated with heaviest industry grade PU paint/coating available". I help to design and built machines and QA for these processes at Scottish tanneries, and sometimes my thought in front of these machines was "why the hell anybody call THIS stuff, such dyed and painted PU, a leather". And they have a pretty premium customers, even above Lexus, as far as I could tell.

Now I am sitting here and calculate if I could redesign and afford to refurbish my GS in wool tweed, maybe seats only. And guys, IT IS YOUR FAULT! 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A dark colour is better for cloth seats. 

See the rather grubby patch in the photo of rear door open. It should shampoo I imagine, but not "immaculate"  

I had Suade seats in a 500SEC it went bald in the Drivers seat and couldn't be cleaned. It was an off white colour to contrast with the Azur blue Car. Looked great when new, but not so cool when grubby.

18 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

A dark colour is better for cloth seats. 

Obviously. The best fabric upholstery I met was a ford top range velour, grayish-bluish (for "black" interior), not very interesting, but feels great and comfy and easy to keep pristine. If I would ever jump into madness "replace lexus leather with a tweed" or any fabric, it will be dark grey or smth, matches dash and wheel leather (this coffe-choco shade) not like a light beige over seats and carpets, it looks nice but obviously it's not practical at all.

1 hour ago, runsgrateasanut said:

All entirely relevant, but I still prefer leather myself Stuart.

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder as Mr Keats famously said.

40 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

All entirely relevant, but I still prefer leather myself Stuart.

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder as Mr Keats famously said.

I've often remarked that the leather seats in my various Mercedes were much more comfortable than in the LS400. A particular point I made to LS Cowboy was that in the LHD car there was no slope next to the footrest which in RHD Cars I've found on a long journey can put your knee out - have fallen out in agony at times, despite moving foot around and using Cruise.  Mind you the earlier Sprung seats in Mercs were also killers to the spine. I replaced mine in a 230TE once, with Ford Cortina crushed velvet seats and no more rolling around and back ache.

• Like 1

I thought it might be a tad higher, the best insurance quote I've had is three times what I'd pay for a UK model, plus a big excess.  I think I'll drive over to Essex tomorrow for a look anyway.

I don't understand this difference in the insurance costs for a UK car and a Jap Import car ...  for the same car, shape and mechanics,  and of course aren't all our Ls's imported whatever !

Does anyone understand ?  Can Adrian Flux guy explain please  ? ................  it must be simple surely, there has to be transparency in today's financial world ...........it's insurance  :whistling1:

:zorro:

Malc

• Like 1

You could start with: why in UK "third party only" insurance is typically three times more expensive than comprehensive (for same car and driver), opposite any common logic or other countries practices... 🤨 after this other practices like above "we don't like imports" will be piece of cake to understand.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Malc said:

I don't understand this difference in the insurance costs for a UK car and a Jap Import car ...  for the same car, shape and mechanics,  and of course aren't all our Ls's imported whatever !

Does anyone understand ?  Can Adrian Flux guy explain please  ? ................  it must be simple surely, there has to be transparency in today's financial world ...........it's insurance  :whistling1:

:zorro:

Malc

No, I don't understand it either. And does anyone know what the little aerial type thing that comes out of the corner of the front bumper is?  Maybe it's some sort of trophy won for having the worst steering wheel cover ever!

58 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

No, I don't understand it either. And does anyone know what the little aerial type thing that comes out of the corner of the front bumper is?  Maybe it's some sort of trophy won for having the worst steering wheel cover ever!

That little pop up post is there so you know where the front corner of the car is in when maneuvering in a tight spot. The top is illuminated at night.

John

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

I could be totally wrong but having seen what appear to be fixed aerials on bumpers of Japanese imports I would guess (and it is a guess) that they are an indicator to the driver as to where that corner of the car is when manoeuvring as they are always on the front left. There is a picture of it on the seller's website showing it fully extended on this car so obviously being a Lexus it is retractable! Possibly think of it a predating parking sensors.

I don't know if you have been onto the seller's website Phil, but on it there is a tab headed 'Japanese Car Insurers' and lists a number of insurers. Also there are further pictures of the car on the website, one of which shows the buttons on the dash to the left of the screen are in Japanese as are the graphics on the screen when the reversing camera is activated.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chris111 said:

I could be totally wrong but having seen what appear to be fixed aerials on bumpers of Japanese imports I would guess (and it is a guess) that they are an indicator to the driver as to where that corner of the car is when manoeuvring as they are always on the front left. There is a picture of it on the seller's website showing it fully extended on this car so obviously being a Lexus it is retractable! Possibly think of it a predating parking sensors.

I don't know if you have been onto the seller's website Phil, but on it there is a tab headed 'Japanese Car Insurers' and lists a number of insurers. Also there are further pictures of the car on the website, one of which shows the buttons on the dash to the left of the screen are in Japanese as are the graphics on the screen when the reversing camera is activated.

They also use them for flags when these cars are used for diplomatic work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think for flags they use mini-poles on the fenders, same position as for extra mirrors in Japanese cabs.

This single pole on the bumper is probably "parking marker" as above described. Or, much less probable, retractable aerial for special communication (com-link or CB type), typically for cab, limo, etc. IIRC Mitsubishi Electric offered some systems like this. BTW and maybe in same context (comm devices) - what are these pieces in passenger leg room area?

58 minutes ago, Chris111 said:

I haven't tried the ones they've suggested yet so I'll try tomorrow.  I've only managed to get one quote so far even though I've tried several.

Until a few years ago I insured my JDM import with non mainstream insurers, I seem to remember Flux and Performance Direct being the main ones for around the same price as a UK specification model but for the last 3 years I have had it on a “classic” policy which cost me less than £200 a year with mileage limited to 3k a year.

The aerial on the bumper is called a “Fender Pole” and as other members have mentioned it is used as a guide when pulling out of tight spaces, on mine it is manually operated by a switch and utomatically retracts when the ignition is switched off, the tip does illuminate when the lights are on but the bulb is normally failed and non replaceable.

In addition to the non leather interior you may also find no sunroof/moonroof (better in the Japanese climate) and unless the system has been converted the sat nav may be very useful for a tour of Tokyo assuming you are fluent in Japanese.

These cars tend to be a higher specification than UK models but most parts are the same.

The underside should be like new but carefully check everything works as designed, also be aware that many vehicles were written off in the Tsunami and some were irradiated from the power station!

If you do go ask to see the english translation of the Japanese De-registration certificate.

• Like 1