Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Could this LS be worth a punt?

23 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Until a few years ago I insured my JDM import with non mainstream insurers, I seem to remember Flux and Performance Direct being the main ones for around the same price as a UK specification model but for the last 3 years I have had it on a “classic” policy which cost me less than £200 a year with mileage limited to 3k a year.

The aerial on the bumper is called a “Fender Pole” and as other members have mentioned it is used as a guide when pulling out of tight spaces, on mine it is manually operated by a switch and utomatically retracts when the ignition is switched off, the tip does illuminate when the lights are on but the bulb is normally failed and non replaceable.

In addition to the non leather interior you may also find no sunroof/moonroof (better in the Japanese climate) and unless the system has been converted the sat nav may be very useful for a tour of Tokyo assuming you are fluent in Japanese.

These cars tend to be a higher specification than UK models but most parts are the same.

The underside should be like new but carefully check everything works as designed, also be aware that many vehicles were written off in the Tsunami and some were irradiated from the power station!

If you do go ask to see the english translation of the Japanese De-registration certificate.

I went to see this today and as you say Steve, it's looks new underneath and has no sunroof which is fine as I never use one, exhaust is still shiny!   Body is superb and the wheels are excellent.  Overall a far, far better car than you would find here.  Tyres are all new Bridgestone and cambelt has been done.  I was, as expected, offered a poor amount for my GS but I may still go for it.  The upholstery felt really good, like a top quality armchair!  I couldn't work out why it had two reservoirs for screen wash though?  The main problem now is finding insurance at a sensible price, easier than it sounds!

An update on the insurance.  I've found a company that will cover it for a good price, plus the dealer is willing to negotiate re the price so the plan is to have a really good test drive on Saturday morning and if all is well we'll have a deal!

16 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

"I couldn't work out why it had two reservoirs for screen wash though?"

One for screen wash and one for Headlamp wash Phil ?

Interestingly the JDM one doesn't have headlamp wash which is what I thought it was.  The other reservoir is at the front where some people fit a transmission cooler, it just has a pull off cap like the other one.   A very impressive set up though at the dealer, cars on two floors and most looking like they just came out of a showroom even though many are 10 years old+

Lots of Nissan Skylines which I like.  It just makes you realise how our climate plays havoc with our cars. 

• Like 1

Arrr the 2 reservoirs....they are both for the windscreen....the normally placed one is for the screenwash the one at the front is for rinsing the screen with plain water after screen washing. IIRC the wiper stalk has a push button on the end for one function and is pulled back for the other.

The only problem with the colder UK climate is the front rinse container may freeze and crack if it contains only plain water in the winter, I therefore fill both with screen wash plus if one runs dry you have a back up.

Did you get to see the de-reg certificate this will show if the car has ever been written off or damaged, also has it been converted from KMH to MPH, JDM vehicles are speed limited to 180KPH (113MPH) unless delimited in the UK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Arrr the 2 reservoirs....they are both for the windscreen....the normally placed one is for the screenwash the one at the front is for rinsing the screen with plain water after screen washing. IIRC the wiper stalk has a push button on the end for one function and is pulled back for the other.

The only problem with the colder UK climate is the front rinse container may freeze and crack if it contains only plain water in the winter, I therefore fill both with screen wash plus if one runs dry you have a back up.

Did you get to see the de-reg certificate this will show if the car has ever been written off or damaged, also has it been converted from KMH to MPH, JDM vehicles are speed limited to 180KPH (113MPH) unless delimited in the UK.

I'll check all the info on Saturday. Another question you may be able to answer.  The coolant reservoir wasn't where it usually is, any idea?

I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer offered you much more than £600.  I know of one up here who got away with such an offer in px against a Mazda MX5. Best of luck with all your checks from the excellent info on here.

• Like 1

Great looking car. The leather on 430s is nothing to write home about and you will love the comfort and grip of the wool seats. And it also still has the Celsior walkman cassette deck which are often pinched during export.

25 minutes ago, Newbie1 said:

Great looking car. The leather on 430s is nothing to write home about and you will love the comfort and grip of the wool seats. And it also still has the Celsior walkman cassette deck which are often pinched during export.

I didn't have a clue what that was until I went to see it, just as well I've still got some tapes! I have to agree, the LS430 leather does tend to stretch and look a bit baggy.  I'll know by lunch time tomorrow if we have a deal or not.  Iv'e yet to drive it owning to it being boxed in on the first floor. 

40 minutes ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi,

Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like.

Regards,

Dan.

I did but as I didn't get a call back I've gone elsewhere!

Hi.

There are no records for this vehicle on the .Gov MOT check website which suggests that it has not been registered and therefore has no MOT or tax. However, you could ring a number and speak to someone.

20 minutes ago, Pete L said:

Hi.

There are no records for this vehicle on the .Gov MOT check website which suggests that it has not been registered and therefore has no MOT or tax. However, you could ring a number and speak to someone.

That could be due to the system....when a used vehicle is first imported the MOT is done using only the chassis number then once passed the registration document is issued and a number plate for the approximate year of manufacture is issued. The number plate check would therefore not show up until the next MOT.

Mine was first registered in Japan in January 1994 and got an L registration here in the UK but could have been an M registration.

Another anomaly is when parts websites ask for your registration number to obtain the correct make,model,year from it the chances are a grey import will not produce any results....the joys of owning a JDM import 🙂

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

Good news Phil, The garage have managed to get your car from the first floor to the ground floor, could you please ring them for the test drive.

6525A71E-83FB-448B-97E3-FD053A697019.jpeg

That's the very car, what's wrong with that, you getting picky or what?

1 hour ago, Pete L said:

Hi.

It was MOT'd at the beginning of this month, I did find it on the gov site.

2 hours ago, Pete L said:

Can I please ask what sort of history you get with imports?

I guess it depends who imports them.  I bought mine from a dealer called Goodmayes near Purfleet who are a very big, and professional importer.  They supply a certificate to verify the mileage plus a printout of service history showing the mileage.  Obviously most of the wording is Japanese but they explained to me what it said and I have no reason to doubt them.  I was also given the Japanese auction info with photos of the car at auction also verifying the mileage.  After a fair amount of research it becomes clear that the Japanese are fastidious when it comes to service/maintenance.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2018 at 8:57 PM, steve2006 said:

That could be due to the system....when a used vehicle is first imported the MOT is done using only the chassis number then once passed the registration document is issued and a number plate for the approximate year of manufacture is issued. The number plate check would therefore not show up until the next MOT.

Mine was first registered in Japan in January 1994 and got an L registration here in the UK but could have been an M registration.

Another anomaly is when parts websites ask for your registration number to obtain the correct make,model,year from it the chances are a grey import will not produce any results....the joys of owning a JDM import 🙂

UK websites, which usually mislead anyway. Amayama or equivalent for no-nonsense, no mistakes parts! VIN is always the best anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The-Acre said:

I guess it depends who imports them.  I bought mine from a dealer called Goodmayes near Purfleet who are a very big, and professional importer.  They supply a certificate to verify the mileage plus a printout of service history showing the mileage.  Obviously most of the wording is Japanese but they explained to me what it said and I have no reason to doubt them.  I was also given the Japanese auction info with photos of the car at auction also verifying the mileage.  After a fair amount of research it becomes clear that the Japanese are fastidious when it comes to service/maintenance.

Just looked at their website Phil and they seem professional.

Do they change the instruments to read in English and  Miles?

Is that your old GS300 FOR SALE WITH 73,000 on the clock?

If yes, then the old story of falling in love with an old flame (LS) comes to mind.

I've been out there and they do have nice cars. I looked at a 26k mile Toyota Soarer that looked like it had just come out of the factory, with no swirl marks anywhere! No pressure from them and their salesperson was actually knowledgeable about the car which was a surprise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Just looked at their website Phil and they seem professional.

Do they change the instruments to read in English and  Miles?

Is that your old GS300 FOR SALE WITH 73,000 on the clock?

If yes, then the old story of falling in love with an old flame (LS) comes to mind.

They are very professional, no pushy selling, the opposite in fact. They do change the speedometer and fix the mileage according to the info on the Japanese documents.  That is my GS, and as nice as it is, it's just so nice to get back in a V8!

50 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

They are very professional, no pushy selling, the opposite in fact. They do change the speedometer and fix the mileage according to the info on the Japanese documents.  That is my GS, and as nice as it is, it's just so nice to get back in a V8!

Many thanks Phil.

Forgot to ask,do they change readouts on the Radio and Wavelengths too?

We are ALL looking forward to the piccies.

6 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Many thanks Phil.

Forgot to ask,do they change readouts on the Radio and Wavelengths too?

We are ALL looking forward to the piccies.

Sadly no, it'll mean a unit from a breakers.  I may not bother as it plays radio2 and CD's!