Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Don’t do it they say. Don’t buy a C63

I’ve discussed my possible ‘jumping of ship’  with some F buddies today. The main consensus was ‘do not buy a C63’.

So, would any of you F drivers be tempted by a switch to a Mercedes C63 (4.0).

Love to heat your thoughts 👍

On a serious note, I’d prefer a ‘proper’ C63. 6.2 V8 Normally Aspirated.

I can see the draw of a turbo driven smaller engine in terms of emissions and economy but, in my honest opinion, there’s no replacement for displacement.

• Like 1

Some time ago, before i had my ISF, a good friend of mine very kindly lent me his CLS63, which was the 6.2 V8 and it was epic.  The noise and the experience was fab and i looked at one seriously before i bought the ISF.  I understood that the ownership costs were significantly higher than the Lexus which put me off but it was a lovely car.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jon_B said:

Some time ago, before i had my ISF, a good friend of mine very kindly lent me his CLS63, which was the 6.2 V8 and it was epic.  The noise and the experience was fab and i looked at one seriously before i bought the ISF.  I understood that the ownership costs were significantly higher than the Lexus which put me off but it was a lovely car.

I second that motion. My CLS350 AMGline was bad enough.

Having jumped ship from Mercedes 2 years ago I would be reluctant to return to the indifferent build quality and reliability of the newer Mercedes.

Now in 1997 I very nearly bought a 6 months old C36 AMG - absolutely fell in love with it, but they wanted £42,000 for it and I would only go to £40,000. I ordered a new Audi A4 Quattro tiptronic estate ( bad move) and a week later the Mercedes dealer rang me offering to sell me the C36 at my price...…………….. 

I think that in those days the AMG cars were the real deal.

• Like 3

I have seriously considered the very same although the proper one, C63 amg but would have needed the estate for the dogs, I love the look and sound, not so much the costs, I decided against it and bought the dogs their own car, a very nice little Yaris 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Womble72 said:

I have seriously considered the very same although the proper one, C63 amg but would have needed the estate for the dogs, I love the look and sound, not so much the costs, I decided against it and bought the dogs their own car, a very nice little Yaris 😉

They love it! 🤣🤣🤣

A57D3B83-991B-46A6-830C-DCFFDF67E09C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Always had a c63 or m5 in the back of my mind come change time, always seems like a good idea till I do a bit more homework, similar thoughts on a gtr, own it for a year or so and move on.

think the Mercs look and sound great, don’t think I’d want one out of warranty.  If your looking at a nearly new, weekend car then scratch that itch. You also mentioned the lc500.  Between the two for me the lc wins hands down. Epic looks and sound with the reliability you’ve become used too 😎

• Like 1

The c63 struggles to lay down power which can be fun or a hinderence deoending in the type of driving you are doing. The interiors look lovely but have lots of cheap materials. They sound epic... absolutely epic. Be interesting to see what you think when you drive one. 

Hi All,

my mate runs an 18 reg c63s saloon which I drove for a couple weeks while he was away on holidays and it is such an epic car. The acceleration in the dry is epic! In the wet my A45 will leave him for dead for sure! The sound is also amazing! No need for aftermarket exhaust. The interior is the same as my A45 which is no bad thing, seats are very supportive and although I'm not a fan of the mounted screen you quickly get used to it, plus the graphics is better than on the new Lexus RX450H in my opinion (loan car while my F was getting some new pads). Of course, the car is new(ish) therefore not enough wear and tear to cause any issues as yet, however he hasn't had any issues to date. Based on my own experience, it is likely that a Lexus will be more reliable than a merc, however if you like a car then arm yourself with a comprehensive warranty then dive right it and enjoy the experience!

D

Test drive them both and choose. The C63 is not so exclusive, though. But it is faster. Not as reliable. RAC membership needed. My experience with Mercedes is horrible. Each month I had to visit the garage.

The LC500 is simply beautiful, great looking. It still gas a naturally aspirated engine, rare breed.

If you could treat yourself with a Special Edition, maybe the white/orange/blue interior..? 

When i was in the market for a car before i got the GSF the C63(4.0 Biturbo Saloon) was a very serious consideration for me, in fact it was my first choice before deciding on the GSF. I had done a lot of research on the C63 and came back with the conclusion that it's an amazing car with an epic engine that one would only keep within it's warranty and then move on. My priorities were to get a daily driver that i would be keeping for a very long time and one that was fairly easy to maintain. Hence the decision was easy for me (although i may have been a little biased as a previous owner of a Lexus that ran for 12 years and has never missed a beat) and since the GSF is quite rare, it is nice to have some people do double takes when they look at the car.

Following your previous thread, your decision was between the LC500 and the C63. In my opinion, between the 2 i think the LC500 looks more special inside and outside. In terms of performance, the C63S would probably take it. I love the iconic C63 (in coupe form) but if it was between the LC500 i'd take the LC and be really happy with the decision simply because it has more than enough performance for road use and it certainly looks more exotic that a C63.

• Like 2

Recently drove a C63s (4.0 biturbo) at Brooklands on their track etc & I was massively impressed by its power, agility & poise (in the dry). I felt completely comfortable & able to push from the minute I started driving it - it’s a great car. 

Personally I preferred the more muscular styling of the original C63 as I find the current styling a bit dull.  However the coupe does have more presence. I also find the interiors typically Germanic with too much black but do like the carbon trim. Unsurprisingly I still think the RCF is more interesting inside & out, but for raw power the AMG takes some beating.

I met a guy recently who’s company  audits the  quality control for many manufacturer’s including the Germans.  I asked him who was the most reliable of the German Manufacturer’s - his answer: none of them because they essentially assemble cars using parts supplied by others. When I asked why Lexus was more reliable he said that it was because they will stop & go back to the root cause of an issue to resolve it.  Just confirms what we already know!!

If you are going back to any of the German manufacturers it makes sense to have a warranty or own the car while it’s still under the manufacturers 3 year warranty & move on once it runs out.

Like others have said & unsurprisingly from a man on his second F, I would go for the LC500, but might also be inclined to wait for the F version.  I appreciate that it’s a way off as a second hand purchase, but in my case it’s the only car I could see me changing my RCF for - that said I haven’t had the pleasure of driving the LC500 yet?? 😉

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, DAW said:

Recently drove a C63s (4.0 biturbo) at Brooklands on their track etc & I was massively impressed by its power, agility & poise (in the dry). I felt completely comfortable & able to push from the minute I started driving it - it’s a great car. 

Personally I preferred the more muscular styling of the original C63 as I find the current styling a bit dull.  However the coupe does have more presence. I also find the interiors typically Germanic with too much black but do like the carbon trim. Unsurprisingly I still think the RCF is more interesting inside & out, but for raw power the AMG takes some beating.

I met a guy recently who’s company  audits the  quality control for many manufacturer’s including the Germans.  I asked him who was the most reliable of the German Manufacturer’s - his answer: none of them because they essentially assemble cars using parts supplied by others. When I asked why Lexus was more reliable he said that it was because they will stop & go back to the root cause of an issue to resolve it.  Just confirms what we already know!!

If you are going back to any of the German manufacturers it makes sense to have a warranty or own the car while it’s still under the manufacturers 3 year warranty & move on once it runs out.

Like others have said & unsurprisingly from a man on his second F, I would go for the LC500, but might also be inclined to wait for the F version.  I appreciate that it’s a way off as a second hand purchase, but in my case it’s the only car I could see me changing my RCF for - that said I haven’t had the pleasure of driving the LC500 yet?? 😉

All makes complete sense 👍

My garage is currently having a makeover, so my F is on short term holiday in another garage. I’m sure when I get it back, I will look at it and be wowed by its’ looks. As you say, the RCF has more presence than the C63 Coupe.

I also agree on the interior of the F being a nice place to be. The Merc does look a little plastic.

As for the LC500, I’ve driven two (and also the hybrid). The only negative I have is that it’s arguably too similar to the RCF.  Yes, Lexus have addressed many issues, but is an LC500  really worth double the price an RCF? I personally don’t think it is.

Ah well, with it being school holidays, I’m probably not going to get chance to sample a C63 for a good few weeks. Having said that, with the facelift C63 just round the corner, there are some good deals to be had!

• Like 1

Couldn’t agree more about there not being enough of a difference between the LC500  & the RCF hence my comment about waiting for the LCF.

If I were buying the AMG I would personally go for the C63S coupe with the carbon trim.  The S is a great drive with loads of torque, making it feel much quicker than the RCF (not that power is everything). I would definitely recommend a test drive even if it’s just for the experience - after I drive one I found myself looking on the Merc approved used site, but for me they seem very expensive for an extra 30bhp (all be it with  a lot more torque). Looking at the AMG prices made the RCF values seem like a bargain!!😂

Exciting times whatever you decide & hope  you enjoy the drive when you get the opportunity👍🏻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1