Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Don’t do it they say. Don’t buy a C63

Any car can be a target for theft on demand. The C63 is particularly popular and relatively easily ringed as there are so many on the road.

Get yourself a scrapyard dog .... a hungry one at that..

• Like 1

Before I bought my F I was looking for outright power and thus considering a GTR and a C63s Coupe. The GTR was a stretch to get a nearly new one, but it made the Merc seem good value.

A good friend ran a GTR for a few years and threw a serious amount of money away keeping it serviced and in discs/pads/tyres. As a daily he told me not to bother unless I was really, really commited to the high costs. The Merc wasnt hugely cheap here either, but the more I read and spoke to owners, the more they put me off; Interior rattles, brake squealing, clutch issues and electrical gremlins. You're largely paying for the badge anyway and it's not like they have the great build quality they used to, to make up for it. You can't even make full use of the power, its worse in the wet and I live in Scotland...

When the F came along and I realised I could get most of the power I wanted, but at half the cost... I sat on it for two weeks and then totally gave up on ploughing all my cash into a C63s.

When it comes time to change and drop some serious money on a replacement, I'm going to find something a bit more special than the Merc to make it worth it.

• Like 5

I looked at GTRs a few years back and was horrified by the £6000 per year extended warranty. £500 per year for the RC-F is truly a bargain. I imagine the C63 would be between the two?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MNMJ said:

I looked at GTRs a few years back and was horrified by the £6000 per year extended warranty. £500 per year for the RC-F is truly a bargain. I imagine the C63 would be between the two?

Shhhh. Don’t tell everybody (especially Lexus) 😜

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Shhhh. Don’t tell everybody (especially Lexus

Oops; what I meant to write was "just about affordable, if I forego luxuries like shoes and soap"

• Haha 2

Slightly larger but my head is being turned to an E63 AMG Wagon. (5.5l turbo).

After covering 960 miles in 6 days with the wife and kids and all the kit that needs to be carried....  I may need a bigger car 😞

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

Slightly larger but my head is being turned to an E63 AMG Wagon. (5.5l turbo).

After covering 960 miles in 6 days with the wife and kids and all the kit that needs to be carried....  I may need a bigger car 😞

Get a roofbox 👍

Edit: can one be fitted to an F?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wouldnt buy the old 6.2l V8 without a warranty which is damn expensive and I wouldn't buy a new one because of its horrendous image 

Almost every C63 I have seen seems to be driven by tossers under the age of 35 ragging it up and down council estates

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, rayaans said:

I wouldnt buy the old 6.2l V8 without a warranty which is damn expensive and I wouldn't buy a new one because of its horrendous image 

Almost every C63 I have seen seems to be driven by tossers under the age of 35 ragging it up and down council estates

Get down your local Lexus garage. The average lexus driver seems to be about 135 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think you would find it quite a shock coming from your F's bomb-proof build quality..

The C63 is a great car but fragile, inside and mechanically. Early 6.3 suffered from stretchy head bolts and failing hydraulic tappets.

All models suffer from creaks and rattles in the cabin. The seats especially. Side bolsters split, alcantara panels water marked (something to do with the glue?)

16 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Get down your local Lexus garage. The average lexus driver seems to be about 135 😂

I have and it appears the CT and IS are driven by younger folk. The RC tends to attract older whilst the NX and RX are pretty much mixed across the board. 

35 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

You get a right mixture at my one in Poole.

On one side you have a Sunseeker salesyard.  On the other you have a Lotus garage, a general sportscar garage (inc. Ferrari) and then Jaguar Land Rover.

The old folk go in to buy a CT200H and come out with a brand new Range Rover towing a yacht which has both a 1991 Ferrari 348tb and an 18 plate Lotus Exige stowed away in the cargo hold 😉

• Haha 1

Is there a reason why you are looking specifically at the C63?

I have always thought it was a car that doesn't quite fit in the AMG range. Like the A45 AMG. And if it must be German - a car that both Audi and BMW do a better job of making.

Fundamentally a C class is a middle managers car (as is an a4 or a 3 series)...plonking a big engine in it and adding some aero just comes across a bit Halfords (IMO)...

But notwithstanding that, BMW and Audi do it better...and whilst the engines are epic, the merc gearboxes have always been a bit lazy and the cars heavy (rich coming from an RCF owner I know!) the ride can also be a bit 'comfortable' (with the exception of the manual C36)...Mercedes (IMO) suit large performance cars better: E63, S63 or my particular favorite and a very close run thing when I was buying my RCF the mighty 2014ish CL600 (CL500 is a bit 'meh'...the CL63's are quite fragile and the CL65 may as well not exist as they only sold one I think!).

I would love a CL600 - a proper v12 performance mercedes, so much less shouty than a Bentley or a Aston and thanks to uber-depreciation - quite affordable! But alas they are like hens teeth - so finding the right one will need a wait. But rather than being the bottom of the range saloon with a big engine it is literally the flagship of the brand. The very best they could muster. The sort of car they give to their Chancellor to use. Or Saudi Princes buy in every colour with matching interior.

If you need four doors I would rather have the M3 or the RS4, but thats me. If you want a less obvious choice what about a Panamera?

I know I'm not really answering the question by proposing other cars, but I've been thinking about it since this morning!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am looking at other German options - but not an M car. I simply don’t think BMW are anywhere near as advanced as Mercedes with FI engines and sound.

Not in a rush. Going to be a difficult decision.

• Like 1

@Flytvr - why not keep your RCF and buy a German monster of your liking - living with a car is very different from owning one. We are 'relatively' sensible petrol-heads after-all! 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flytvr said:

Funny you should say that.

I’m keeping my options open right now - and only today made an offer on a Golf! Adore Golfs!

Keeping your options open until you sell it to me for £2.99.... just because that’s a great price?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Flytvr said:

Funny you should say that.

I’m keeping my options open right now - and only today made an offer on a Golf! Adore Golfs!

My friend has a Golf R that he's just had remapped.

One word.

Awesome.

Unbelievably capable machines, but it would have to be an RS3 for me. Engine note is half the enjoyment of a performance car imho and I dont think anything with less than 8 cylinders makes a better noise than that 5 pot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

You get a right mixture at my one in Poole.

On one side you have a Sunseeker salesyard.  On the other you have a Lotus garage, a general sportscar garage (inc. Ferrari) and then Jaguar Land Rover.

The old folk go in to buy a CT200H and come out with a brand new Range Rover towing a yacht which has both a 1991 Ferrari 348tb and an 18 plate Lotus Exige stowed away in the cargo hold 😉

I took my car in to Poole for a service last week and I was the only punter.....when I collected it I was the only punter. The sad thing is I wasn't even offered a coffee.

Its been the same for years, how the place makes any money is beyond me with the prices on the forecourt being so much more than Bristol, Exeter or Hedge End, I've never seen more than two customers in there. I wonder when the Westover Group will bin them off. 

The Jag place is relocating, the Lotus place is so up its arse I'm surprised they sell any cars - its an extremely odd set up along that road.  

Pop into BMW , Toyota or Nissan in Wallisdown Road and they are all busy with people simply looking. I wonder if Lexus should relocate.

@doog442 funnily enough when I was last in there the only other person in there was my next door neighbor who has an IS250.  We were both there for the airbag recall 😞

Didn't realise Jag was relocating.  Any dealer around here can't compare with the Audi Sport dealer with its bloody gym and Spa 😉

• Like 1